[SOLVED] Went from "boot mgr couldnt be found" to "an operating system couldnt be found on this device"

Jul 21, 2020
I'll have to start from the beginning since this has been an ongoing issue for months now that just worsened today. It all started when I bought a new hard drive for my PC since I felt I needed more memory since I play a lot of memory heavy games.

I partitioned the drive properly (or so I think). But now on boot, after bios it told me it couldn't find the boot manager and to restart my computer.

To fix this, I opened up my bios and changed the drive priority from my new hard drive (the one without the os) to the old hard drive. The issue was that I would have to do this process upon every boot which I didn't mind but found weird nonetheless.

Months go by and I decided it was time to upgrade my cpu and motherboard together (CPU from an AMD FX-8370 to an AMD RYZEN 5 2600) and from an AM3+ chipset mobo to an AM4 mobo. I decided enough was enough and I was going to try and solve this issue through the power of youtube using this video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuemv-X_M0

This seemed to not only not solve my current issue but added another. So I'am here looking for some form of assistance or advice as to what I should do to finally fix this issue. Thanks for reading this egregiously long post!

Solution
Did you reinstall the OS after the hardware migration? If not, that's the first thing you need to start with. Also, what OS are you trying to install? You can only work with Windows 10 while on Ryzen. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard prior to installing the OS and use Windows Media Creation Tools to create a bootable installer to install the OS.

You think it's possible to parse a picture of how the drives are partitioned(and how you partitioned them)?

I bought a new hard drive for my PC since I felt I needed more memory since I play a lot of memory heavy games
Memory and storage are two different things. Memory is ram, storage comes from the HDD.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you reinstall the OS after the hardware migration? If not, that's the first thing you need to start with. Also, what OS are you trying to install? You can only work with Windows 10 while on Ryzen. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the motherboard prior to installing the OS and use Windows Media Creation Tools to create a bootable installer to install the OS.

You think it's possible to parse a picture of how the drives are partitioned(and how you partitioned them)?

I bought a new hard drive for my PC since I felt I needed more memory since I play a lot of memory heavy games
Memory and storage are two different things. Memory is ram, storage comes from the HDD.

Reactions: Rinsesense
Solution
Jul 21, 2020

This was just adding a new hard drive separate from the hard drive with the OS (Windows 10) I had installed.

As for the pic of the partitions you asked for, I can supply that. Here.

115822003_972177583195493_6493788678402293421_n.jpg

Disk 1 is the hard drive that has the OS (Windows 10) installed and Disk 0 is the new hard drive that I added for extra storage (thanks for correcting me on the difference between storage and memory). This is my first computer build but I dont think I did anything crazy when I partitioned the new drive other than formatting it and activating it.

Let me know if you need any more resources I can provide to aid in solving this issue with me.