Question Went on a trip for 2 weeks, came back to checkdisks at every single start up. What could it be? Windows 11 Home on Samsung 980 m.2 PCIe NVME

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I went on a trip for 2 weeks, and then I came back to my computer doing a check disk at every single startup. Everything feels/looks like it's plugged in well and works well once it gets past the check, but I want to make sure there's nothing going on.

Windows 11 Home - Prebuilt computer from Ibuypower.

Specs:
Storage: 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor (8X 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASRock Z590-C/AC
Memory: 16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3600MHz RGB
Video Card: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Power Supply: 600 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified

What I've Done:

chkdsk /r , chkdsk /f, sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow found something on the first time I ran it, and repaired it. After that, I tried running it on different restarts, and it doesn't repair anything since then. "No integrity violations".

Re-did my indexing. Ran CCleaner to clean my registry. Ran Malwarebytes to check if there's any malware. Checked my running apps at startup/services at startup to see if there's anything weird.
Nothing is different there.

Still does the chkdsk.

I went into disk management on Windows 11, and it says that all the partitions are healthy.

Eventviewer says:
- Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Which I did, but it still says it. When I run the CMD, it says "Type of File System is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. CHKDSK cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. Schedule on restart? Y/N" I hit yes and let it do it's thing. Didn't seem to do anything though?

- Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

- Session "PerfDiag Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
You may have one of the failing 980 Pro drives.

JayzTwoCents covered it recently, and while video is a bit long, Jay explains it all nicely;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoAFzdz0h5M

Now, you have 1TB drive, while Jay says that 2TB drives are affected mostly. Still, it doesn't hurt to do the firmware check and also drive diagnostic from the Samsung Magician, as Jay shows how to do it.

Thank you for replying! Sorry for my slow reply, it didn't notify me I had a reply.
I watched the entire video. Thank you for the resource :)

So, apparently my drive isn't part of the bad boys. It did need updating of firmware though, which I did. (Issue still unresolved unfortunately.- still does the check).

I also did several diagnostic scans with Magician, and it's showing up as all good on a short scan AND a full scan.

Is there anything else I can do to double check that it's not failing?

Thank you again, your help is much appreciated :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I went on a trip for 2 weeks, and then I came back to my computer doing a check disk at every single startup. Everything feels/looks like it's plugged in well and works well once it gets past the check, but I want to make sure there's nothing going on.

Windows 11 Home - Prebuilt computer from Ibuypower.

Specs:
Storage: 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor (8X 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASRock Z590-C/AC
Memory: 16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3600MHz RGB
Video Card: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Power Supply: 600 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified

What I've Done:

chkdsk /r , chkdsk /f, sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow found something on the first time I ran it, and repaired it. After that, I tried running it on different restarts, and it doesn't repair anything since then. "No integrity violations".

Re-did my indexing. Ran CCleaner to clean my registry. Ran Malwarebytes to check if there's any malware. Checked my running apps at startup/services at startup to see if there's anything weird.
Nothing is different there.

Still does the chkdsk.

I went into disk management on Windows 11, and it says that all the partitions are healthy.

Eventviewer says:
- Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Which I did, but it still says it. When I run the CMD, it says "Type of File System is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. CHKDSK cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. Schedule on restart? Y/N" I hit yes and let it do it's thing. Didn't seem to do anything though?

- Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

- Session "PerfDiag Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035
Any updates get installed when you came back from vacation?

Ralston18

Titan
Task Manager: Look in the Startup tab - determine if Check Disk is being launched at startup.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event just before or at the time Check Disk launches.

Another place to look is Task Scheduler. Some other system event may be triggering the launch of Check Disk.

Update History: any failed or problem updates?

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Task Manager: Look in the Startup tab - determine if Check Disk is being launched at startup.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error code, warning, or even an informational event just before or at the time Check Disk launches.

Another place to look is Task Scheduler. Some other system event may be triggering the launch of Check Disk.

Update History: any failed or problem updates?

Nothing launching at startup like that :<

The same issues in the top post are happening in event viewer
Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Also: The samsung hd checker thingy that checks all the blocks says they're all healthy as another user suggested previously, unsure if this is relevant to the event viewer thing.

But when I run the chkdsk, nothing gets fixed.

Nothing is showing up in reliability history, unfortunately. No yellow or red error/exclamations.

All updates successfully installed in the update history.

Regarding the task scheduler- Is there a good way to know if something is trying to checkdsk? I've apparently got 23958209 things in that list. I've never sorted through it before.

Thank you all for the help thus far :) Much appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding :

"Regarding the task scheduler- Is there a good way to know if something is trying to checkdsk? I've apparently got 23958209 things in that list. I've never sorted through it before. "

Do you mean the list in Event Viewer? Event Viewer logs can be deleted and doing so can help make new, current errors, etc. standout so to speak. However, that can also lose history. Likely moot if there are that many entries.

If possible take some screenshots and post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Reliability History tends to be more helpful and, again, is easier to use and understand.

Also open Disk Management, expand the window so all can be seen. Take a screenshot and post that screenshot as well.

Question: is all important data backed up? You should have at least 2 x copies stored to locations off of the drive(s) in question. Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

Task Scheduler: Very likely that Powershell can be used to find triggers via the Get-JobTrigger cmdlet or something similar. I have not, full disclosure, worked with that cmdlet but will take a look and do some testing.

However, you can use the "Get-Process" cmdlet as a quick way to view all running processes.

Again, the objective being to discover what the system is doing or trying to do with respect to CHKDSK.

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Regarding :

"Regarding the task scheduler- Is there a good way to know if something is trying to checkdsk? I've apparently got 23958209 things in that list. I've never sorted through it before. "

Do you mean the list in Event Viewer? Event Viewer logs can be deleted and doing so can help make new, current errors, etc. standout so to speak. However, that can also lose history. Likely moot if there are that many entries.

If possible take some screenshots and post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Reliability History tends to be more helpful and, again, is easier to use and understand.

Also open Disk Management, expand the window so all can be seen. Take a screenshot and post that screenshot as well.

Question: is all important data backed up? You should have at least 2 x copies stored to locations off of the drive(s) in question. Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

Task Scheduler: Very likely that Powershell can be used to find triggers via the Get-JobTrigger cmdlet or something similar. I have not, full disclosure, worked with that cmdlet but will take a look and do some testing.

However, you can use the "Get-Process" cmdlet as a quick way to view all running processes.

Again, the objective being to discover what the system is doing or trying to do with respect to CHKDSK.

Oh, heck, sorry for never replying to this. I ended up moving IRL and got caught up in all the life stuff. I really apologize for not replying sooner. I'm unfortunately getting the same issue. Did all the sfc cmd prompts, and all the samsung magician things and it still is "all good". BUT- This stuff is in my event viewer.

EDIT: I DELETED the imgur because I realized it might have personal data. BUT! My solution is below.

Here is an IMGUR of the eventviewer. One I notice is that one of the disks "needs to be taken offline" in order to do a full checkdsk. I'm really confused about that. But perhaps that's why it keeps hanging?

In reliability history, I'm only getting errors with software like games and the like.

I have no important data, just games and things like discord and bookmarks. I will make sure there are copies elsewhere.

I have no experience with the cmdlet, but I'd be willing to try anything. If this is still something you'd like me to look into after seeing my event viewer and disk management, I'd be happy to.

Last edited:

NiveusT

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
UPDATE:

Looks like a random post I had found had a few instructions that fixed it. In my previous post just before, I mentioned in my event viewer that there was an error that said one of my disks needs to be "taken offline" to do a full checkdsk. Figured it couldn't hurt to try it.

So, I held SHIFT while restarting my PC, and it brought me to a blue screen w a menu (I can't recall), and I went to other options to get into command prompt. Once there, I did:

chkdsk C: /f

waited for that

then I did,

chkdsk C: /r

then I did,

sfc /scannow

And after that, I exited and shut down my pc. Then I started it.

The checkdsk is gone at startup! Woo!