Western Digital 1TB hard disk drive

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
hi,
i wanted to clone my old hdd to this new wd 1tb hdd. i used a docking station, and the process didnt complete cause took too long so i thought it best to stop it.
i conencted the drive to the pc to format it, it DOES show up in disk management but, says i must initialize it first,
tried to initialize it,, but doesnt happen. bring out an error message,,
any one can help??

thanks,.
nick

Solution
A CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error. So in this case one should run chkdsk along with the /x /r switches, but having in mind the drive can't be initialized, you won't be able to run chkdsk.

I understand your frustration, but sometimes it's possible to get a faulty device when dealing with electronics. Those might be really rare incidents, but unfortunately it happens, no matter the brand or the device. If it really turns out to be a faulty drive, you should be able to RMA it by contacting the vendor you got it from, or by doing that through our website: WD Support Portal
Hey Niko.

Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with your new WD drive.

What kind of error are you getting when you try to initialize the drive?
I'd suggest that you try it with a different SATA port and cables, or even better - with a different computer, just to see if the same thing happens again. You could also try testing it with DLG (if it's recognized) by following this tutorial: Testing a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

nikospc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
error is something with cyclic redundancy check
not at home now so i dont remmeber it exactly.
yep,, really dissapointed, since all my life i always used wd, ,and nothing else,,,,,,,,,,,, :-(

A CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error. So in this case one should run chkdsk along with the /x /r switches, but having in mind the drive can't be initialized, you won't be able to run chkdsk.

I understand your frustration, but sometimes it's possible to get a faulty device when dealing with electronics. Those might be really rare incidents, but unfortunately it happens, no matter the brand or the device. If it really turns out to be a faulty drive, you should be able to RMA it by contacting the vendor you got it from, or by doing that through our website: WD Support Portal

Solution