Western Digital Enters the SSD Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Good luck to them. If they can bring down the cost of the Intel X series they'll make alot of people happy.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]jonnydough[/nom]Wish I had had stock in SiliconSystems just prior to the announcement.[/citation]

Buy some Palm stock, Dell may be buying them out ;-)

hannibal

Distinguished
What is the best part is that we may see some mixed systems. It would be nice to see an hard disk with integrated ssd parner. I could offer good performance of sdd and capicity of traditional hd in same paccage. Ofcource I don't have any idea how well that kind of combination would work, but it would be interesting to see.
The sdd would be like somekind of buffer memory between the system and hd. Can anyone say if it sould be usefull solution?

AngryClown

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
EPIC announcement!

I am a WD fanboi, but even people who dislike the brand should see the benefits to come from this. It's a win/win/win for enthusiasts. The only down side to the tech world right now: when to start the new build? So many changes looming...

jfriend

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
WD should definitely leverage its Raptor/Velociraptor brand name by creating a less expensive SSD line and a higher-performance line.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Buy some Palm stock, Dell may be buying them out ;-)[/citation]

I don't get it. Why would I want to throw my money onto a sinking ship? Here's hoping anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.