Western Digital Launches 8TB My Book Thunderbolt Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a set of 4TB WD My Book Essentials on Tuesday.
For anyone expecting them to contain WD designed/built drives you will be sorely disappointed.
Inside are 4TB 5400RPM Hitachi drives :/

Well, at least their external drives are still €40 less expensive than a bare 4TB drive in Germany :)

G

In terms of cost per gigabyte, the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable storage device currently availability with a price of $850.

In addition, Western Digital announced its My Book 4TB external hard drive, a single-volume external USB 3.0-compatible hard drive that costs $250.

850/8 = 106 per gb

62.5/4 = 62.5 per gb

yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
[citation][nom]basikmaths[/nom]In terms of cost per gigabyte, the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable storage device currently availability with a price of $850. In addition, Western Digital announced its My Book 4TB external hard drive, a single-volume external USB 3.0-compatible hard drive that costs $250.***********************************************850/8 = 106 per gb62.5/4 = 62.5 per gb[/citation]

I think you mean per TB.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
all i want is for a 4tb drive to hit 200$, they have a little more than 2 months to go. before my birthday and i need them at least at 250 by than... at least that way i can argue i pay half for one as a present.

and yea, i can get 2 2tb drives for cheaper, i know, but i want all my data on 1 drive, instead of my current 5... to make the management of data so much easier.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]basikmaths[/nom]In terms of cost per gigabyte, the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable storage device currently availability with a price of $850. In addition, Western Digital announced its My Book 4TB external hard drive, a single-volume external USB 3.0-compatible hard drive that costs $250.***********************************************
850/8 = 106 per gb
62.5/4 = 62.5 per gb[/citation]
Firstly, you accidentally wrote GB, but I am sure you meant TB anyway..
Secondly, I am sure the article meant that the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable thunderbolt drive. But I didn't check around to see if even that is true, as usually claims like these in articles like these (purely product announcements) are often inaccurate.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Just received a set of 4TB WD My Book Essentials on Tuesday.For anyone expecting them to contain WD designed/built drives you will be sorely disappointed.Inside are 4TB 5400RPM Hitachi drives Well, at least their external drives are still €40 less expensive than a bare 4TB drive in Germany[/citation]
It's one thing for a Toshiba Laptop to use a HDD from another brand (and perhaps we are just used to this happening), but another thing entirely for a Western Digital External Hard Drive to use a hard drive from another brand! Hard drive is in the product name for Pete's sake! It's not unreasonable to expect the drive inside to be Western Digital! I find this rather misleading and dishonest.. I always select my external drive's brand based on which brand of hard drive I want (on the inside) for the particular usage I have in mind.

[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Maybe Western Digital buys Hatachi hard drives and puts their labels on them?[/citation]
Well, seeing as Western Digital was required to sell Hitachi's 3.5" hard drive business to Tohsiba when they acquired Hitachi, they are actually purchasing the drives from Toshiba.

http://ftc.gov/opa/2012/03/westerndigital.shtm

In any case, the drives I removed from Western Digital's enclosures have no additional Western Digital labels.
They are clearly marked as Hitachi drives; model H3IK40003254SW's to be exact.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
TB on 5400rpm HDDs? the bottleneck is so ridiculous I can't stop but launch at this. USB 3.0/SATAIII was already way faster than any Hard drive can transfer so now they give you Tbolt which is almost twice as fast? lol.

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Seeing how WD and Hitachi are now the same company, that doesn't surprise me. It would really surprise me if you found a Seagate drive inside.

AznDucksfan

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]sherlockwing[/nom]TB on 5400rpm HDDs? the bottleneck is so ridiculous I can't stop but launch at this. USB 3.0/SATAIII was already way faster than any Hard drive can transfer so now they give you Tbolt which is almost twice as fast? lol.[/citation]

Raid 0

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
With RAID 0 it's still just about 170MB/s * 2 at peak for 2 drives. Which I guess is beginning to challenge USB3. From my limited research it looks like 500MB/s is the theoretical speed of USB3, with 400MB/s being more realistic

G

no yamman101 i didnt... you are wrong....

basikmaths :
In terms of cost per gigabyte, the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable storage device currently availability with a price of $850. In addition, Western Digital announced its My Book 4TB external hard drive, a single-volume external USB 3.0-compatible hard drive that costs $250.***********************************************
850/8 = 106 per gb
62.5/4 = 62.5 per gb

Firstly, you accidentally wrote GB, but I am sure you meant TB anyway..
Secondly, I am sure the article meant that the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable thunderbolt drive. But I didn't check around to see if even that is true, as usually claims like these in articles like these (purely product announcements) are often inaccurate.

1) nice try but i meant cents per gb,,,

2) according to the laws of mathematics 62.5c per gb is more affordable than 106c per gb

[citation][nom]didgetmaster[/nom]Seeing how WD and Hitachi are now the same company, that doesn't surprise me. It would really surprise me if you found a Seagate drive inside.[/citation]
Not entirely true.
During the acquisition of Hitachi, Western Digital was forced to sell the 3.5" division of Hitachi to Toshiba.
Therefore, they are purchasing drives for their 4/8TB external solutions from a direct competitor; Toshiba.

http://ftc.gov/opa/2012/03/westerndigital.shtm

toms4razz

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Anonymous (or previously known as basikmaths)[/nom]no yamman101 i didnt... you are wrong....
basikmaths: (or now known as "Anonymous")
In terms of cost per gigabyte, the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable storage device currently availability with a price of $850. In addition, Western Digital announced its My Book 4TB external hard drive, a single-volume external USB 3.0-compatible hard drive that costs $250.***********************************************850/8 = 106 per gb62.5/4 = 62.5 per gb
yamman101:
I think you mean per TB
techcurious:
Firstly, you accidentally wrote GB, but I am sure you meant TB anyway..Secondly, I am sure the article meant that the My Book Thunderbolt Duo is the most affordable thunderbolt drive. But I didn't check around to see if even that is true, as usually claims like these in articles like these (purely product announcements) are often inaccurate.

Anonymous:
1) nice try but i meant cents per gb,,,
2) according to the laws of mathematics 62.5c per gb is more affordable than 106c per gb[/citation]
HAHAAA..! No.. "nice try" back at you! techcurious is absolutely right.. You tried to cover up your initial mistake with a worse mistake..
Did you fail the most basic maths in school?
$850 for 8TB, 850/8=106.25 .. so $106 per 1TB...
you do realize 1TB has 1024GB (or 1000GB).. and you do know that there are only 100 cents in a dollar right?
so 1GB costs $106/1000=$0.106 .. or 10.6 cents.. (if you are still confused, 106 cents would actually be $1.06)
.. go back to school!

Status
Not open for further replies.