[SOLVED] Western Digital SSD or Samsung 860 EVO?

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Looking for a good SSD, and I saw that the Wester Digital 500gb SSD is pretty cheap, and the Samsung 860 EVO is 20$ more. I was wondering if there was any quality differences between either? I'm pretty sure the write speeds on the WD is better, but it seems like everyone has an EVO.

Solution
he evo has been the goto for a while simply because it was the best bang for the buck at the lower end of the drives.

WD and a couple others have now caught up and offer similar performance at good prices. so they deserve a good look now as well. it always happens, something good comes along and it becomes the default gto thing for a while. it takes a while though to get the word ut about the next best thing.

think of the hyper 212 evo cooler that was the budget go to for a long time. but it has been pushed aside by newer better models at similar prices. but some folks still default to suggest the cooler since they have not kept up with the newest releases.

same goes with the new ssd's. do your homework and decide if whatever gain...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
he evo has been the goto for a while simply because it was the best bang for the buck at the lower end of the drives.

WD and a couple others have now caught up and offer similar performance at good prices. so they deserve a good look now as well. it always happens, something good comes along and it becomes the default gto thing for a while. it takes a while though to get the word ut about the next best thing.

think of the hyper 212 evo cooler that was the budget go to for a long time. but it has been pushed aside by newer better models at similar prices. but some folks still default to suggest the cooler since they have not kept up with the newest releases.

same goes with the new ssd's. do your homework and decide if whatever gain you get from the evo is worth the $20 to you. if not, then grab the WD model. i've not personally used the WD drives yet but it's hard to tell the difference real world anyway between many of the drives. if you have to benchmark it to tell, then clearly they are rather similar. i personally have a couple pny ssd's that are the very low end and am happy with what i got and i spent a ton less on them than even the WD costs. think i paid $35 or 40 for 480 gb models on sale last year!!

Solution