[SOLVED] What are some headsets that are very comfortable to wear and have exceptional sound quality?

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Currently looking for a headphone that is very comfortable to wear regardless of how long you put it on your ears and have exceptional sound quality (audiophile here). I prefer wired ones. Please don't recommend "gaming headsets", headsets that are called "gaming headsets" tend to be the worse ones, they don't really give the user great comfort, they are just marketed towards the "as long as it's for gaming, it's top of the line and is the best" stigma. But in reality, they're garbage, anyways I won't fuss a rant here but care to share some recommendations guys? And please, don't recommend headphones that have leathered earcups, they're so itchy on the ears and tends to stick when it gets hot and warm. I don't have any price range, I will pay as long as it is worth the premium a certain headset offers, I don't wanna go cheapskate either and having to buy another one after just a couple months of use.

Basically the criteria is:
  • Comfort
  • Must be over-ear
  • Should be wired
  • Must be true 7.1 surround sound, not virtual
  • No microphone (most headsets have these but what I'm referring to are the ones gaming headsets have, the ones that stick on the side, I dislike those, I'd rather have no mic or one that has a small built in mic alongone of the earcups
  • No leather earcups

Last edited:
Solution
Must be true 7.1 surround sound, not virtual
That would mean that they are analog like the Razer(and their ilk) Tiamat headset. You won't get non gaming headsets with 7.1 audio that aren't USB driven. If you didn't know USB driven headsets are all stereo upmixed solutions giving off a virtual surround experience.

To my knowledge all over ear solutions with good audio quality are all stereo, not surround, even the one's that are upwards of 1000USD.

You will also need to understand that not everyone's head is of the same size/shape so what's comfortable to one individual might not be the same for you. I'd be able to recommend audiophile grade headphones but your criteria for surround sound might make it impossible for me(or...

Lutfij

Titan
Must be true 7.1 surround sound, not virtual
That would mean that they are analog like the Razer(and their ilk) Tiamat headset. You won't get non gaming headsets with 7.1 audio that aren't USB driven. If you didn't know USB driven headsets are all stereo upmixed solutions giving off a virtual surround experience.

To my knowledge all over ear solutions with good audio quality are all stereo, not surround, even the one's that are upwards of 1000USD.

You will also need to understand that not everyone's head is of the same size/shape so what's comfortable to one individual might not be the same for you. I'd be able to recommend audiophile grade headphones but your criteria for surround sound might make it impossible for me(or anyone) without bringing in a gaming moniker into the picture which I agree is the cause of such lackluster products in the market.

Reactions: Iver Hicarte
Solution
Without a leather/vinyl earcup, the most comfortable set I know is the Phillips SHP9500

The Sennheiser headphones are also pretty comfortable and use fabric earcups but they are not as comfortable as the SHPs.

As already mentioned, there are no "true 7.1" headphones past a very very few sets that are not the best for audio quality or comfort.

Reactions: Iver Hicarte