[SOLVED] What are the effects of very low humidity on PC and laptop components ?

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
My surrounding temps are 35C and humidity are 15%. What are the effect of this low humidity level on the components of motherboard like capacitor, resistor or cpu etc. Will lower humidity reduce component life?

Also does higher temps with lower humidity make it difficult for electronics to cool down quickly?

Solution
There is no measurable negative effect to low humidity...pc components will be just fine. After maybe decades of exposure to extremely low humidity you may run into componenets becoming brittle, but that's not really likley in the useful lifetime of a pc. Much better to be low than high and risk condensation issues. One thing to be careful of is the increased risk of static discharge in low humidity so take precautions (like using wrist straps) when working on your pc.

Humidity should not have a meaningful effect on the removal of heat...there may be some very slight benefit to maintaining a certain exact humidity but a cpu heatsink/fan will do just as well at 15% than at 40%.
There is no measurable negative effect to low humidity...pc components will be just fine. After maybe decades of exposure to extremely low humidity you may run into componenets becoming brittle, but that's not really likley in the useful lifetime of a pc. Much better to be low than high and risk condensation issues. One thing to be careful of is the increased risk of static discharge in low humidity so take precautions (like using wrist straps) when working on your pc.

Humidity should not have a meaningful effect on the removal of heat...there may be some very slight benefit to maintaining a certain exact humidity but a cpu heatsink/fan will do just as well at 15% than at 40%.

Solution

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
One thing to be careful of is the increased risk of static discharge in low humidity so take precautions (like using wrist straps) when working on your pc.
You are saying about static discharge. You said "while working on your pc" , what does it mean? Does it mean that if am upgrading my component (ram, ssd ) or touching my motherboard while upgrading??
I have a laptop. Is there any problem of static discharge if i only use and touch it externally (i.e for using windows ) (not opening laptop back cover or touching internals)??

You are saying about static discharge. You said "while working on your pc" , what does it mean? Does it mean that if am upgrading my component (ram, ssd ) or touching my motherboard while upgrading??
I have a laptop. Is there any problem of static discharge if i only use and touch it externally (i.e for using windows ) (not opening laptop back cover or touching internals)??

When upgrading components like memory or SSD you would need to be careful of static.

Daily use of a laptop is not a need for concern unless you are getting static shock all the time. If you get frequent static shocks you could simply leave the laptop power cord plugged in which should provide a path to discharge the static buildup through the wall outlet ground.

Reactions: Nikhilniks