[SOLVED] What are the most durable power supplies out there?

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my old psu, which is whispering to me about retirement. When I upgrade, I need a psu that will be witnessing doomsday before it dies on me. I don't need a 1,000 watt psu, my system only pulls about 450 watts at peak. I want to pay a one-time price for a psu, and not have to think about retiring my power supply again, even after making upgrades to the other parts of the system. (Of course making sure my system will have a max draw of 450 watts) Basically a tank. If the only path to this is industrial-grade atx, I will go there.

Last edited:
Solution
I wouldn't go with those as they do not have all the connecters needed for a gpu
(i tried to look at the pictures but could only find one 6 pin pci express)

if you are looking for a exceptionally good one, i'd say the corsair AX types (they go from 800 watts and up i believe)

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
I wouldn't go with those as they do not have all the connecters needed for a gpu
(i tried to look at the pictures but could only find one 6 pin pci express)

if you are looking for a exceptionally good one, i'd say the corsair AX types (they go from 800 watts and up i believe)
I believe there is at least 1 on that model. I found one connector.

True, but is also true for high end "consumer" PSU's.
They are also tailored to consumer pcs, especially gamer pc's which need lot's of different connectors which those psu's provide

Whereas server psu's are tailored to servers which have different needs and hence connector's

If what you want is longivety and reliability a high end "consumer" PSU will provide this
To my mind you are overthinking it too much :)

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
True, but is also true for high end "consumer" PSU's.
They are also tailored to consumer pcs, especially gamer pc's which need lot's of different connectors which those psu's provide

Whereas server psu's are tailored to servers which have different needs and hence connector's

If what you want is longivety and reliability a high end "consumer" PSU will provide this
To my mind you are overthinking it too much :)
Thanks, I probably am overthinking it. I have just always listened to people saying that most power supplies snap, crackle, and pop after 3 years.

Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
For example, I found this Seasonic server psu here.
That's not a server PSU lol.
There's no way to know what PSU is more durable than the other. The one metric you can kinda look at is warranty length, most PSUs with 10y warranty will live even for a bit more than that no problem if they weren't loaded to 100% 24/7/365 or conversely, didn't just lie on the shelf. Also, you have a wrong perception of server PSU being 'tougher' or more durable than consumer ones, they're manufactured from the very same components, there's no some magical components that server PSUs use. How server PSUs, rack-mount ones are different is that they're redundant, with two PSUs per server, if one fails for whatever reason you just throw it away and replace, while secondary one does it job. Most server PSUs are also not ATX, so you can't use them in your PC.
TLDR: Give us your location, budget, system specs and we'll give the best options out there.