Question what are the positive and negative impacts of installing monitor driver ?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, my os- win11, gpu - Asrock AMD rx 7800xt challenger oc,

yesterday i bought acer nitro vg271u m3 monitor for my pc. On my monitor's official product support page Product Support - VG271UM3 | Acer United Kingdom i see a driver to dowload of 10 kb size and has 3 files - VG271U M3.INF, VG271U M3.icm and vg271u m3.cat.

image.png
How do i install that driver on windows 11 os?

what are the positive and negative impacts of installing that driver? Is it needed at all?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, my os- win11, gpu - Asrock AMD rx 7800xt challenger oc,

yesterday i bought acer nitro vg271u m3 monitor for my pc. On my monitor's official product support page Product Support - VG271UM3 | Acer United Kingdom i see a driver to dowload of 10 kb size and has 3 files - VG271U M3.INF, VG271U M3.icm and vg271u m3.cat.

image.png
How do i install that driver on windows 11 os?

what are the positive and negative impacts of installing that driver? Is it needed at all?
There are no negatives, that I am aware of. The INF file just tells Windows that you don't have a generic monitor. It provides specific refresh and resolutions supported by that specific monitor. In the list of files, is also a color lookup (.ICM) file that can provide color calibration for that model monitor.

Reactions: Lutfij and eziowar

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
There are no negatives, that I am aware of. The INF file just tells Windows that you don't have a generic monitor. It provides specific refresh and resolutions supported by that specific monitor. In the list of files, is also a color lookup (.ICM) file that can provide color calibration for that model monitor.
tyvm , does Right-clicking on INF file and install automatically installs and activate that .ICM file color profile for my monitor?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
It may require a system reboot for monitor driver to take effect.
Also that .icm file is HDR or SDR color profile? my monitor supports HDR.

User: image.png

TRENDING THREADS