Question What are these weird holes on my GPU

Sep 1, 2023
amd-radeon-rx-6800-02.jpg
I've noticed these holes on the rear part of my GPU, what are they for?

I assume they're for mounting support brackets but I can't find any actual mounts / supports that goes on them.

Would appreciate anything that can point me to the right direction.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Such supports are usually custom made by an OEM. You see them in Acer and Dell and the like systems where they will make a metal bracket for securing the GPU for shipping.

Nothing stopping you from doing the same. Get some sheet metal and you can make a GPU support bracket pretty quickly with a drill, hammer, and a 90 corner to hammer on. Or a vise / break press if you have access to that.

Sep 1, 2023
Such supports are usually custom made by an OEM. You see them in Acer and Dell and the like systems where they will make a metal bracket for securing the GPU for shipping.

Nothing stopping you from doing the same. Get some sheet metal and you can make a GPU support bracket pretty quickly with a drill, hammer, and a 90 corner to hammer on. Or a vise / break press if you have access to that.
I've already done something similar but to be honest I would rather save time and buy a prefab one, I could design one but I can't find any dimension info on them either.

I've also never seen a 6800 with a bracket that uses these holes.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is the thing, there is no standard ATX chassis on that end of the card, so there is no off the shelf part. You just have some threaded holes, you then measure out to anything you want and bolt down to something.

I would make something stupidly simple and just drill into the 'basement' of whatever chassis I am using. Assuming you don't have bottom mounted fans or radiators. Don't really want to go to the front of the chassis because there are almost certainly fans there. Though that is what the typical OEM does. Either straight to the front or connect to something like the hard drive cage.

It doesn't make sense to drill four holes for a support bracket when at most two will do. And even then, I'm not aware of any support bracket that screws into the video card. Most of them either clamp down on the video card and offer support that way, or they'll screw into the chassis and offer a shelf of some sort.

It might've served some purpose at one point on the drawing board, but I think it's now vestigial. And it's not like drilling four extra holes would've cost them a whole lot and changing mechanical drawings is costly (even if it's just to remove four holes)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Reactions: stonecarver

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
page 155 of this supposed to be evidence it was designed as a bracket hole but I don't see it... Can't say looking at technical diagrams is a hobby I have though
sIM8o0Q.jpeg

if you want to look yourself, search for page 175 as page numbers start after 20 pages of intro.
https://ics.uci.edu/~harris/ics216/pci/PCI_22.pdf
nothing says it is for them, people seem to have always assumed it was purpose.

found via: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ounting-holes-standardized.13537/#post-201125
If you look a few pages down to 180, it shows that the two holes on the right side at the corners were meant to mount a "retainer" (although it's for ISA...). But that isn't evidence that the holes on video video card heat sinks are part of any standard.