Question What are those remote connections ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
What are those remote-connections?

I installed TCPView from sysinternals.
As you can see on the image below:
vchost.exe, lsass.exe, wininit.exe and system do not
display their remote adress.

sysinternals-tcp-view-who-is-remote.png

Why is that?
What do the symbols instead of a remote adress mean?

Are they hiding their connection?

Straight forward, in my Task-Manager are some
suspicious services running.
They are from Microsoft, not a Virus. But that doesn't make it any better.

List of services/application:

CompPkgSrv.exe (Component Package Support Server)
Mobsync.exe
Text Input Application

I would like to find out what EXACTLY each of those services/applications does.
Why are they running, what are they doing?
I cannot find any proper documentation on this anywhere after searching for 2+ hours...

For the first service i mentioned
CompPkgSrv.exe i would simply like to know what the
purpose of this app is.

Component-Package-Support-Server.png

For the second service mobsync.exe, i disabled the Synchronisation-Center
in the Windows Control-Panel, yet mobsync.exe is invisible in my Task-Manager
every time i boot my PC. Why? What does it do??
mobsync.png

For the third question,
Text input Application starts itself immediately
when i type anything on my pc, anywhere.
If end the process it doesn't reappear until the exact moment when i start typing...
Honestly this could easily be a keylogger or some sort of spyware.
At least it does behave as if it would be.
text-input-application2.png

text-input-application.png

So much for that, now one more question:

There is this weird "temp-folder" creating itself every once and a while.
It has a strange name, bunch of numbers and letters and it includes a bunch of dll's.
What is this?? When i delete it,
it re-creates itself after couple of hours or so.
I would like to
terminate the source of this problem, which process is responsible for
creating this temp-folder? What are those dll's?

Windows-Temp.png

Any help is welcome! But if you are only going to tell me i should leave things as how
they are, no. I didn't come here to get bullied, i came for actual help. Thank you.

Last edited:

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Have you scanned this system for malware? If so, with what application?

Like i said, its not a virus or malware im pretty sure of that since this is a fresh windows installation. I did not scan anything and i wouldnt use any 3rd party tools for critical topics as malware. Win Defender says everything is good.
But this didnt really help with the original question you know.

Last edited:

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
So does anyone else have this temp folder with all the dll's?

Are there any users or moderators knowing exactly what those services/applications do but just to lazy to reply?

Like why is mobsync.exe running after pc boot even when its disabled?
Why was the text input app constantly running untill i deleted it?
What does comppkgsrv.exe do?

I was looking for a official microsoft description, for exmaple on docs but theres nothing. Someone here propably knows something ,right?

DSzymborski

Titan
Windows always creates a lot of temp files/directories in the course of operation and many of these DLLs are necessary to operate Windows properly.

There's a reason you don't get a ton of answers. The usual course of events here is that someone gets the idea that these things hurt their Windows performance, they start asking questions about individual things, and nearly invariably start randomly shutting down Windows functions with next to no impact on performance, and then post again asking why their PC is having problems.

Just like heart surgery, if you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. If you don't like how Windows operates, there are other operating systems that you can use. There's a Linux distro for everyone. But if you're going to hang out in Microsoft's house, you can't be surprised that the OS enforces the house rules. It's not a buffet.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

Wolfshadw

Titan
Five minutes of online research, this is what I've determined.

- This is an application that assists with Windows Update to make sure the packages being downloaded from the Windows Update Server are properly formatted.

Mobsync.exe
- This is a Microsoft service that deals with viewing web pages offline. If you are running a web browser that allows this functionality, then I suspect this is the service that allows it.

Text Input Application
- This is the application that allows for the use of a touch-screen keyboard. If your keyboard fails, you can still control your PC by using the on-screen keyboard.

None of these are "suspicious".

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
There is this weird "temp-folder" creating itself every once and a while.
It has a strange name, bunch of numbers and letters and it includes a bunch of dll's.
What is this?? When i delete it, it re-creates itself after couple of hours or so.
I would like to terminate the source[ of this problem, which process is responsible for
creating this temp-folder? What are those dll's?

Microsoft has been creating temp folders for as long as I've been using Windows (Win3.1). Anytime Windows requires more memory than your system has installed, it creates what used to be known as a "swap file". This was basically space on your hard drive that was being used as temporary memory space. Back in the day, this was a very common occurrence and it's one that Microsoft still uses today; even though most custom built PCs, like those that Tom's Hardware Members tend to build, have more than enough memory. It's an optimized service that keeps priority data in RAM, and secondary data in Temp files/folders.

There is no way to "terminate" it as it's NOT a problem. It is a function of the Windows Operating System (and probably most other operating systems).

Any help is welcome! But if you are only going to tell me i should leave things as how
they are, no. I didn't come here to get bullied, i came for actual help. Thank you.

As stated above, we get a lot of these types of questions and our advice not to disable these services is often ignored and of course, we get the follow-on question, "Why is Windows Crashing?" or something similar. It's your PC, so you can do what you want, but don't expect a lot of help if you do start to disable services and the fit hits the shan aside from "Format and Reinstall".

Windows may not be the most stream-lined OS on the market today, but my guess is that the developers know a hell of a lot more about their OS than any random person on the Internet. If they put it in there, I don't see any reason to remove or disable it. My system runs just fine as it is. Of course, that's just my opinion. What you do with your computer is entirely up to you. Feel free to ignore my advice to just leave it alone.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

Wolfshadw

Titan
Just the latest, "I turned Windows stuff off without knowing what it does" issue.

-Wolf sends

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Task-Manager has a vew settings, showing TCP and UDP connections is not one of them.
Is it possible with cmd/powershell?
Anyways, i installed TCPView from sysinternals.
As you can see on the image below:
vchost.exe, lsass.exe, wininit.exe and system do not
display their remote adress.

sysinternals-tcp-view-who-is-remote.png

Why is that? What do the symbols instead of a remote adress mean?

Are they hiding their connection?

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Windows always creates a lot of temp files/directories in the course of operation and many of these DLLs are necessary to operate Windows properly.

There's a reason you don't get a ton of answers. The usual course of events here is that someone gets the idea that these things hurt their Windows performance, they start asking questions about individual things, and nearly invariably start randomly shutting down Windows functions with next to no impact on performance, and then post again asking why their PC is having problems.

Just like heart surgery, if you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't be doing it. If you don't like how Windows operates, there are other operating systems that you can use. There's a Linux distro for everyone. But if you're going to hang out in Microsoft's house, you can't be surprised that the OS enforces the house rules. It's not a buffet.

I am not doing anything randomly.
I take my time to understand windows services and then take a decision if i will allow or dissallow the service to exit on my personal computer.

So i should do a heart surgery without asking how to do it? lol.
The Doctors one day had to learn it and they did ask how to do it otherwise they couldnt be doing it...

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Five minutes of online research, this is what I've determined.

- This is an application that assists with Windows Update to make sure the packages being downloaded from the Windows Update Server are properly formatted.

Mobsync.exe
- This is a Microsoft service that deals with viewing web pages offline. If you are running a web browser that allows this functionality, then I suspect this is the service that allows it.

Text Input Application
- This is the application that allows for the use of a touch-screen keyboard. If your keyboard fails, you can still control your PC by using the on-screen keyboard.

None of these are "suspicious".

-Wolf sends

Thank for that information.
Could you share the source, where did you find out that comppksrv.exe is releated to windows update? I will look it up myself in a moment, just curious.

Okay i see what mobsync does, but i was more concerned why it is running in my task manager after booting my pc even when i set this service to disabled.
Obviously a service that is disabled should not be active, i should not need to say this.

Im confused, is the Text Input Application a on-screen-keyboard or a touch-screen-keyboard? I guess touch screen, in that case it makes zero sense the service is running since i disabled touch-screen-keyboard in the windows settings. My pc doesn't even support touch functionallity.

You claim those services are "not suspicious".
As i see things, i have two services (mobsync.exe and text input app) running on my personal computer even when i disabled both of them in the windows settings. If this isnt suspicious...
If windows cant respect user-choices there is no other way than terminating the source, i disabled them in settings and yet they are still active, i have no choice but to delete them unless you have a better solution.

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Microsoft has been creating temp folders for as long as I've been using Windows (Win3.1). Anytime Windows requires more memory than your system has installed, it creates what used to be known as a "swap file". This was basically space on your hard drive that was being used as temporary memory space. Back in the day, this was a very common occurrence and it's one that Microsoft still uses today; even though most custom built PCs, like those that Tom's Hardware Members tend to build, have more than enough memory. It's an optimized service that keeps priority data in RAM, and secondary data in Temp files/folders.

There is no way to "terminate" it as it's NOT a problem. It is a function of the Windows Operating System (and probably most other operating systems).

As stated above, we get a lot of these types of questions and our advice not to disable these services is often ignored and of course, we get the follow-on question, "Why is Windows Crashing?" or something similar. It's your PC, so you can do what you want, but don't expect a lot of help if you do start to disable services and the fit hits the shan aside from "Format and Reinstall".

Windows may not be the most stream-lined OS on the market today, but my guess is that the developers know a hell of a lot more about their OS than any random person on the Internet. If they put it in there, I don't see any reason to remove or disable it. My system runs just fine as it is. Of course, that's just my opinion. What you do with your computer is entirely up to you. Feel free to ignore my advice to just leave it alone.

-Wolf sends

So this temp-file is a swap file? I dont think so, i have 32GB ram and its never used above 40%.
If windows must create a swap file to maintaine functionallity of the operating system that is ok, but since this is not the case (doesnt make sense with 32GB max40% useage) what is this temp file with all the dll's?

Maybe we have a missunderstanding here, let me clarfiy:
I am here to find out, what those dll's do.
Which service is creating those temp-dll's.
Why i need or dont need those dll's in my temp-folder.

I will ignore your advice to leave my personal pc with a digital windows license.
Never in my entire life i will be able to fully study every single part of the windows OS, its way to much. That does not mean i will not try to understand some part of the OS which is bothering me, to be able and take action on it.
I dont expect you supporting me to break my OS, i was hoping for help finding out what those dll's do, what is creating them, why i need or dont need them that's it.

Actually i delete this temp-file as soon as i see it because, it is a temp-file not a system file or anything else. If windows belongs so badly on those dll's why are they not just in system32. Its a temporary-file that's fact.

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
Just the latest, "I turned Windows stuff off without knowing what it does" issue.

-Wolf sends

The issue is there are services running on my personal device even when i have them disabled.
There is no issue in trying to understand certain parts of the windows OS.
Mobsync.exe is a service for offline-web-browser-pages, wow?
I dont need it.
I disabled it.
Yet it is running.
THIS is the issue.

DSzymborski

Titan
I am not doing anything randomly.
I take my time to understand windows services and then take a decision if i will allow or dissallow the service to exit on my personal computer.

So i should do a heart surgery without asking how to do it? lol.
The Doctors one day had to learn it and they did ask how to do it otherwise they couldnt be doing it...

No, they would go to medical school, not ask on an internet forum. And they don't do heart surgery their first week, either.

Please keep all these questions related to you tinkering with your OS to one thread, please.

While you should always have backups of important data, I advise you to make doubly sure you have backups given the high likelihood you will need to wipe your OS drive and reinstall Windows.

Last edited:

Firewall.exe

BANNED
Oct 22, 2021
No, they would go to medical school, not ask on an internet forum. And they don't do heart surgery their first week, either.

Please keep all these questions related to you tinkering with your OS to one thread, please.

While you should always have backups of important data, I advise you to make doubly sure you have backups given the high likelihood you will need to wipe your OS drive and reinstall Windows.

Oh lord... im using windows for years. Nothing to do with first week.
Is it really asked to much you guys can help me understand what those services and dll's do any why some of them are still active even when i disabled them in windows settings?

Ah okay.... The other question i just posted had nothing to do with windows applications, i was asking why the remote-adress is not visible, that was an entirely different topic why would i put it in here??

USAFRet

Titan
Is it really asked to much you guys can help me understand what those services and dll's do any why some of them are still active even when i disabled them in windows settings?
Because you are not the only one using your hardware. The OS is.
There are LOTS of things going on behind the scenes.

'offline-web-browser-pages ' ? How are you sure that your browser doesn't need that service?

Status
Not open for further replies.