Question what cable i need when my psu has 2 3pin sockets?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those psus were used primarily back in the AT days, when a power switch on the pc was a toggle, not momentary like today. The secondary cable went to a CRT monitor, so when the psu was switched on/off, the monitor switched on/off at the same time. Those old CRT's didn't have signal recognition like new monitors do.

Basically it's old enough where it's not going to function with new equipment, your case would need a toggle switch, and it's old enough that capacitor degradation has pretty much destroyed anything higher than @ 50% efficiency and 50% outputs.

Those old AT psus also had very small 12v rails because the 3.3v and 5v rails had a lot more to do, fans were 5v, hdds, optical drives, floppies etc all ran 5v, and everything on the motherboard ram 3.3v.

It's a fire hazard even if you can get it to work, one of the multiple reasons they stopped producing them.

pighead

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2022
You can't claim dead PSU without even connecting it to the wall. And what cable you need for that depends on which country you live.
But note that it is super old PSU, like 15 years old. I would not use it to power any PC.
yeah i know i got it in 2009 or 10, my old pc was lurking beside my table covered in webs i wanted to throw it out bcoz of space but didn't bcoz there are things inside it i wanted to take out and yep the sata hdd and ata dvd writer still working normally as portable after this many years but iam not sure about the psu, its an pentium iv atx switching power supply 450 watt
model: SZ-400WP4