• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

What cable to use for my monitor to graphics card.

jubapro

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
So currently I have this rather old Acer X191W Monitor and thank god it has a DVI-D port in it. (I've been using the VGA port for my current computer until I build my new one in a few days.)

The graphics card I currently have is the EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651
and I've been wondering what cable I should use for it to connect to my monitor.

I have been doing some research and came up with a DVI-D Dual-Link Digital Cable. Which I'm guessing it has two DVI-I heads on one end and a single DVI-D head on the other. Are there any recommendations on which cable I should be using? I currently have one DVI-D Single Link (On both ends) cable and I don't think it would work with the graphics card, not entirely sure as I have not tested it.

Would I need the double headed one for the graphics card? Or does it only need to have one DVI-I to DVI-D cable (instead of the dual headed one.)?

Thanks for helping me :D

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Or stick with using your current VGA cable - I doubt you will notice much difference with DVI. If possible, you might try to borrow a DVI cable and see if you do notice any difference before prchasing another cable.