[SOLVED] What case is good for my new pc?

Jul 5, 2020
Hey guys, I'm building a pc, which I haven't done in around 10 years, so I'm trying to make sure I don't screw anything up because these are literally my life savings.

So far I've been able to buy:

Intel core I9-10900k
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB- Ram
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Gaming Motherboard
SeaSonic Electronics FOCUS Plus 750W 80-PLUS Platinum Modular Power Supply

Can you guys give me recommendations for cases and coolers to go with them? I don't know much about that. On the other hand, I would rather the case be nig enough that it's comfortable, rather than tight.
I can also take any other recommendations, as you see I'm missing quite a few things!

The motherboard was actually an accident and I can still change it, if you guys think that's a smart move please let me know and what I would replace it for!

Solution
Probably out of the budget then, never would have remembered Syncro. Not sure that chassis makes it any better and in the US it doesn't come pre-installed, so that sucks.

This because it looks decent on cable management and has screws to hold the side panel on.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tB...ered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec416pstg_bk

Cable management looks fairly easy. Wide openings for PSU wiring.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nL...-c-tg-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tgl

More traditional layout, gives you many options.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JZPzK8/be-quiet-bg022-atx-mid-tower-case-bg022

Might toss the venerable Phanteks Enthoo...
What's wrong with the MSI Z490 Gaming Plus?

I would rather the case be nig enough that it's comfortable, rather than tight.
It irks me when people say this. Comfortable for what? You build the system once, and it sits that way (generally untouched) for years after.... A couple 3-4 years down the road, you crack it open to replace the GPU, and then it sits for a few more years. If you want a huge case because it makes you feel macho, fine, but there's no reason to avoid more "compact" [reasonable] sized cases. Also, if you go for something huge (like a LianLi O11) be cognizant of cable length (PSU, fan cables etc). Some cases are so big that standard length cables don't reach.

You need an ATX size case. That's really the only requirement. Above that, you'll need to decide what your case-budget is (seems like you'd be in the $80-$150 range, assuming USA). If you want front panel USB-C, that will drastically reduce your choice pool. After that, airflow, aesthetics.

Cooler-wise. Again, depends on your budget. Something like a 240/280mm AIO would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: dlflamingz
Jul 5, 2020
What's wrong with the MSI Z490 Gaming Plus?

It irks me when people say this. Comfortable for what? You build the system once, and it sits that way (generally untouched) for years after.... A couple 3-4 years down the road, you crack it open to replace the GPU, and then it sits for a few more years. If you want a huge case because it makes you feel macho, fine, but there's no reason to avoid more "compact" [reasonable] sized cases.

You need an ATX size case. That's really the only requirement. Above that, you'll need to decide what your case-budget is (seems like you'd be in the $80-$150 range, assuming USA). If you want front panel USB-C, that will drastically reduce your choice pool. After that, airflow, aesthetics.

Actually I mean comfortable for like cable management and stuff, because I have prosthetic hands and doing things that require extreme precision can be difficult.

Regarding the motherboard, after I bought it I started reading some bad reviews on it, so I just wondered!

Can you give me some good atx cases? I would really appreciate it, sorry about sounding so noob

I would go with this case (available in black also).
If you want a bit of a better performer, i would go with this one.
If you want to pair it with a AIO from corsair, this is the one i would go for (available in white also).
If you want to pair your 10900K with the best performing AIO (that is not deal breaking better than the Corsair one), this is the one i would go for.
If you want to pair your 10900K with one of the best (imo the best) air cooler's, this is the one i would go for (available in black also).
Another alternative to the NH-D15 is the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey guys, I'm building a pc, which I haven't done in around 10 years, so I'm trying to make sure I don't screw anything up because these are literally my life savings.

So far I've been able to buy:

Intel core I9-10900k
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB- Ram
SeaSonic Electronics FOCUS Plus 750W 80-PLUS Platinum Modular Power Supply

Can you guys give me recommendations for cases and coolers to go with them? I don't know much about that. On the other hand, I would rather the case be nig enough that it's comfortable, rather than tight.
I can also take any other recommendations, as you see I'm missing quite a few things!

The motherboard was actually an accident and I can still change it, if you guys think that's a smart move please let me know and what I would replace it for!
Their a ton of nice cases but nobody knows what you like your the one going to see it everyday.

Side window, need a DVD drive, RGB, LED's, price range, country you live in to buy parts?

Actually I mean comfortable for like cable management and stuff, because I have prosthetic hands and doing things that require extreme precision can be difficult.
Refreshing! (no offense) Someone with a legitimate reason! This may end up being something that only you can fully quantify depending on your abilities. Most cases are going to require some meticulous dexterity for certain assembly tasks. The nice thing about being in the $80+ case budget (USA again) is that you're reaching a "standard" level of cable management features and ease-of-assembly. Again, having a HUGE case doesn't imply that assembly and cable management are going to be better/easier than a "standard" size case.

As Zerk said, more info required to nail down specific choices. I'd add number of hard drives to that list, GPU also. And of course, budget.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Does anyone remember the PSU company that made that chassis that comes with a power supply that has a built in cable management/PSU distribution block. That might be worth looking into.

I can't recall the product name, or if it was Seasonic or Silverstone or someone else.

Jul 5, 2020
Thank you guys for answering so quickly! My budget is around 150$ I am not located in the US but my friend is doing the favor of shipping me everything, and he lives in Florida. number of hard drives, I think maybe 2 ssd and 2 hd, like in the future.

As for GPU I don't have one in mind right now and because of all the stock issues choosing not to worry about it so much!

Does anyone remember the PSU company that made that chassis that comes with a power supply that has a built in cable management/PSU distribution block. That might be worth looking into.

I can't recall the product name, or if it was Seasonic or Silverstone or someone else.
Seasonic has a single PSU with the new 12V spec that has a distro strip. Not part of a case though....
Seems like just a big extra doodad that you have to squeeze into the (notoriously) small space between the mobo tray and the back panel of a given case.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably out of the budget then, never would have remembered Syncro. Not sure that chassis makes it any better and in the US it doesn't come pre-installed, so that sucks.

This because it looks decent on cable management and has screws to hold the side panel on.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tB...ered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec416pstg_bk

Cable management looks fairly easy. Wide openings for PSU wiring.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nL...-c-tg-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tgl

More traditional layout, gives you many options.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JZPzK8/be-quiet-bg022-atx-mid-tower-case-bg022

Might toss the venerable Phanteks Enthoo series into the ring. Not the best cable management, but not the worst.

Available in mid and full tower sizes. Pro 2 is probably too much, but certainly on the larger side of things internally.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Bf...pro-tg-rgb-atx-full-tower-case-ph-es614ptg_bk

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gQWBD3/phanteks-enthoo-pro-2-atx-full-tower-case-ph-es620ptg_dbk01

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you guys for answering so quickly! My budget is around 150$ I am not located in the US but my friend is doing the favor of shipping me everything, and he lives in Florida. number of hard drives, I think maybe 2 ssd and 2 hd, like in the future.

As for GPU I don't have one in mind right now and because of all the stock issues choosing not to worry about it so much!
Good choices depending on the looks you like.

Cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WP6M7P7?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

D

Deleted member 2838871

Intel core I9-10900k

Can you guys give me recommendations for cases and coolers to go with them?

Case = Fractal Design Meshify 2 (made Gamer Nexus best of 2020 list and won their award for best mechanical design) currently around $139 USD (I paid $179 in December 2020) It's a roomy case with amazing airflow.

AIO = NZXT X73 or Z73 360mm... identical other than aesthetics ($179 for the X, $279 for the Z)

Don't worry... these are solid choices. I wouldn't recommend for your 10900k anything less than what I did for my 10900k.

I see you went with an MSI mobo... definitely a good choice. I did that as well. If you're like me and don't care for RGB you can't go wrong with the MSI Z490 Unify... instead of RGB you get a 3rd m.2 slot which allows for an amazing build. I actually bought the board you did and returned it for the Unify prior to building the PC. It was the only part I changed my mind on and I'm glad I did.

If you can still change it... I'd consider it. The Unify is pretty much the best board in this price range according to everything I read.

Good luck!

Reactions: Dj0gany

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
I would go with this case (available in black also).
If you want a bit of a better performer, i would go with this one.
If you want to pair it with a AIO from corsair, this is the one i would go for (available in white also).
If you want to pair your 10900K with the best performing AIO (that is not deal breaking better than the Corsair one), this is the one i would go for.
If you want to pair your 10900K with one of the best (imo the best) air cooler's, this is the one i would go for (available in black also).
Another alternative to the NH-D15 is the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.
Good job, these multiple options are ideal with comparison with the specifications above.