[SOLVED] What case with power supply for the msi h310m pro vdh

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
So im looking to buy the msi h310m pro vdh alongside the i3 9100f. My current psu and case do not support the motherboard and I was wondering if there were any cheap cases with power supply and cables that would support the motherboard. Im on a very tight budget and would appreciate if you could help me find the cheapest possible option.

Solution
Alright thanks alot for that and the issue is the new motherboard has a 19pin connector which I dont have and that is why I cant use the current psu for the new motherboard
The 19 pin blue connector port on the motherboard is for a usb3 front panel connector cable. It does not connect to the psu. I think you are ok.

As above, while the psu is described as a 300w psu, older power supplies used much of the wattage for 3.5 and 5v, not on the +12v rails where modern processors and graphics card need them.
Still, the max draw on the pcie X16 slot is 75w . If I recall, your GT1030 draws 30w.
leaving sufficient power for the processor.
I think you would be ok to try the psu for now.
If there is any issue, I think it will be in...
So im looking to buy the msi h310m pro vdh alongside the i3 9100f. My current psu and case do not support the motherboard and I was wondering if there were any cheap cases with power supply and cables that would support the motherboard. Im on a very tight budget and would appreciate if you could help me find the cheapest possible option.
look,the case with psus included are often trash.The good ones are much more expensive.My suggestion is to go with a 50$ case with atleast a rear exhaust fan,and a cx450/cx550 (deppending on what gpu u have) since you are on a tight budget.Again,dont buy cases with psus for cheap+you will get a much better deal if you buy a case and a psu separatelly.

Reactions: refillable

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
look,the case with psus included are often trash.The good ones are much more expensive.My suggestion is to go with a 50$ case with atleast a rear exhaust fan,and a cx450/cx550 (deppending on what gpu u have) since you are on a tight budget.Again,dont buy cases with psus for cheap+you will get a much better deal if you buy a case and a psu separatelly.
I have a GT 1030 and I dont really know how to fit a psu onto a case and fit the cables etc. Because of lockdown most comouter shops are closed so I cant get them to fit it. But I could possibly learn it off youtube

Cheap cases are OK, cheap power supplies are not good, and most cases with included power supplies will have junk power supplies.
Possibly Antec cases would be an exception since their power supplies are decent.

What is your budget?
What is the make/model of your current case and psu?
What is the make/model of your current cpu motherboard and ram?
Are you aware that a i5-9100F also requires a discrete graphics card and DDR4 ram?

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Cheap cases are OK, cheap power supplies are not good, and most cases with included power supplies will have junk power supplies.
Possibly Antec cases would be an exception since their power supplies are decent.

What is your budget?
What is the make/model of your current case and psu?
What is the make/model of your current cpu motherboard and ram?
Are you aware that a i5-9100F also requires a discrete graphics card and DDR4 ram?
My budget is around £200 but im willing to go a bit over. Believe it or not my current case and psu are about 16 years old but are in good condition and the psu works fine. I have a i3 3220 and a Gigabyte B75M-D3H with a GT 1030. Its pretty old most of it but I can actually run games such as gta at around 40 to 50fps and can run light games just fine. I dont know the psus name and cant really find it on the internet so sorry about that. Due to all the old things im basically upgrading everything except my gpu. Alongside with the msi motherboard im buying DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb Ram. Thats all if you can help me find the best option to fit with the budget I would really appreciate it. PS. my total atm is about £167

Both your old and new motherboards are M-ATX size.
I know of no reason why the new motherboard will not fit.

Whatever the psu you now have, I know of no reason why it would not also fit.
The wattage you need is mainly determined by the graphics card, and a GT1030 requires minimal power.
Even a 300w psu should be OK.
I might guess that you could run any graphics card that runs on pcie slot power only such as a GTX1050.
Every psu has a data plate that identifies it and it's specs.
If you can post a photo, we might know more.

Can you post a photo of your case?
You do not have hot parts planned but in the future, airflow might become an issue

On ram, buy a 2 x 4gb kit so you can run in faster dual channel mode.
Consider the future.
If you might eventually want 16gb, it is best to buy it up front.
The new motherboard has only two ram slots. If you buy a single 8gb stick with a future upgrade in mind, you will run a bit slower than you need to initially.
Then, ram must be matched so adding a 8gb stick in the future, you may find that it does not run properly.
You are probably 95% ok, but does that 5% chance of incompatibility bother you?

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

The wattage you need is mainly determined by the graphics card, and a GT1030 requires minimal power.
I might guess that you could run any graphics card that runs on pcie slot power only such as a GTX1050.

You do not have hot parts planned but in the future, airflow might become an issue

Consider the future.
The new motherboard has only two ram slots. If you buy a single 8gb stick with a future upgrade in mind, you will run a bit slower than you need to initially.
Then, ram must be matched so adding a 8gb stick in the future, you may find that it does not run properly.
The case is fine however my psu has a cable that does not support the motherboard. Im not completely sure what it is but its an issue with the usb ports and if I use this psu none of the usb ports will work. I think it was the part on the motherboard called JUSB2. The psu is really old and doesnt support the newer versions like usb 3.

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

Consider the future.

Consider the future.

Its very old and sorry If its not clear I cant really get a good pic

Your photo is fine.
It is an ISO-400PP psu which is a 300w standard ATX unit as suspected.

It is not clear to me what your issue might be with USB3.
There should be no psu cables that have anything to do with usb ports.

Likely, your case will not have USB3 front ports that your new motherboard supports.
If you want usb 3.0 support, there are several ways to go about it.
If your case has a 5.25" front bay available, like many old ones did, they you can install a front panel with all sorts of components including usb3.
Your new motherboard will have usb 3 ports on the rear I/O panel so you could use one of them.

Regardless, I would support buying a newer psu.
A quality psu is something you should not go cheap on.

While 300w might be sufficient for now, a good quality stronger 450w or 550w psu might be a good investment.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

Replacing a psu is not difficult.
Cables are keyed to fit only one way. There is a series of rounded and square pins.
So long as you do not force anything, you will be ok.
Expect to pay $75-$100 for a quality unit.
Here is one list of psu quality tiers:
Look for tier 3 or better.
If in doubt, Seasonic is always decent.

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Your photo is fine.
It is an ISO-400PP psu which is a 300w standard ATX unit as suspected.

It is not clear to me what your issue might be with USB3.
There should be no psu cables that have anything to do with usb ports.

Likely, your case will not have USB3 front ports that your new motherboard supports.
If you want usb 3.0 support, there are several ways to go about it.
If your case has a 5.25" front bay available, like many old ones did, they you can install a front panel with all sorts of components including usb3.
Your new motherboard will have usb 3 ports on the rear I/O panel so you could use one of them.

Regardless, I would support buying a newer psu.
A quality psu is something you should not go cheap on.

While 300w might be sufficient for now, a good quality stronger 450w or 550w psu might be a good investment.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

Replacing a psu is not difficult.
Cables are keyed to fit only one way. There is a series of rounded and square pins.
So long as you do not force anything, you will be ok.
Expect to pay $75-$100 for a quality unit.
Here is one list of psu quality tiers:
Look for tier 3 or better.
If in doubt, Seasonic is always decent.
Alright thanks alot for that and the issue is the new motherboard has a 19pin connector which I dont have and that is why I cant use the current psu for the new motherboard

The 19 pin blue connector port on the motherboard is for a usb3 front panel connector cable. It does not connect to the psu. I think you are ok.

As above, while the psu is described as a 300w psu, older power supplies used much of the wattage for 3.5 and 5v, not on the +12v rails where modern processors and graphics card need them.
Still, the max draw on the pcie X16 slot is 75w . If I recall, your GT1030 draws 30w.
If there is any issue, I think it will be in not supporting the very low power sleep states that modern motherboards support.

Just put a psu upgrade somewhere in your future plans.

Reactions: undertaker24260
Solution

undertaker24260

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

If there is any issue, I think it will be in not supporting the very low power sleep states that modern motherboards support.

Just put a psu upgrade somewhere in your future plans.
Thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it! I think im going to take a chance with my old psu as Im trying to save money and if it works it works I guess. When I get more money Ill definitely upgrade my psu. If I have any issues after Ive bought the components I will surely contact you as you were very helpful. Thank you again!