[SOLVED] What cat cable should I get?

Nov 11, 2020
I am running a 100ft cat cable from my router to my gaming pc. I want the best quality and speed, as my download speed on a cat6 is currently around 400mbps. Should I get a cat7?

Solution
Anything beyond Cat 5e is unnecessary, although if you have Cat6 already then that's fine. Cat 5e supports up to 1Gbps speeds at up to 328ft.

What you should be MORE concerned with is the QUALITY of the line you have, not what standard it SAYS it is certified for. It's pretty hard to beat Tripp Lite for quality, but they are also expensive. If you already have a quality Cat6 cable, and I'd check around to see if what you have IS a quality cable, then you don't need anything "more".
Anything beyond Cat 5e is unnecessary, although if you have Cat6 already then that's fine. Cat 5e supports up to 1Gbps speeds at up to 328ft.

What you should be MORE concerned with is the QUALITY of the line you have, not what standard it SAYS it is certified for. It's pretty hard to beat Tripp Lite for quality, but they are also expensive. If you already have a quality Cat6 cable, and I'd check around to see if what you have IS a quality cable, then you don't need anything "more".

Solution
Nov 11, 2020

So there is no difference between speed and performance of a cat5e and cat6/7 if my download speed is 400mbps?

So there is no difference between speed and performance of a cat5e and cat6/7 if my download speed is 400mbps?
Correct.

Now, two different Cat 5e or two different Cat 6 cables, might have ENTIRELY different performance characteristics depending on the quality of the cable, whether it's a shielded type, whether it's a SPECIFIC KIND of shielded type, etc. There are plenty of very good deep dive tutorials on how to select a quality ethernet cable that is suitable for the specific use case out there.