[SOLVED] What channel / capacity for this kit?

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
So like a lot of people I'm sure I'm interested in Team Group T-Force Xtreem ARGB DDR4-3600 CL14 2x8GB
I want to know, can I buy two kits and run 4x8GB and it still be the strong performer it is for gaming? I haven't been able to find info on whether it fully supports quad channel or 4x8GB.
I imagine windows would see the fully amount I just don't want to hobble it's performance
Thanks

Solution
I was looking at something like the Gigabyte Aorus elite x570 and either the new 5600x or 5800x
The goal is gaming performance/responsiveness

I don't know too much about dual Vs quad. If it's fast low latency ram does the channel mode even really matter for gaming ?

This is all still really in the planning phase of course People haven't had a chance to find out what goes best with new ryzen CPU's because they don't come out until next month.
This setup will only run dual channel but can use 4 dimms/sticks with 2 dimms in each channel. You want dual channel as is can have a significant impact on performance, especially gaming. However I would recommend getting 2 dimms and not 4. Running 4 dimms is more likely to run into...
What cpu/motherboard?
Most desktop motherboards don't support quad channel (4 ram modules does not automatically mean quad channel). 4 modules will run in dual channel mode.
Only high end enthusiast boards and server boards support quad channel mode.

2 separate kits may not play nice together.
If you want 32GB of ram then get 2x16GB kit. Check memory qvl list for your motherboard.

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
What cpu/motherboard?
Most desktop motherboards don't support quad channel (4 ram modules does not automatically mean quad channel). 4 modules will run in dual channel mode.
Only high end enthusiast boards and server boards support quad channel mode.

2 separate kits may not play nice together.
If you want 32GB of ram then get 2x16GB kit. Check memory qvl list for your motherboard.

I was looking at something like the Gigabyte Aorus elite x570 and either the new 5600x or 5800x

I don't know too much about dual Vs quad. If it's fast low latency ram does the channel mode even really matter for gaming ?

This is all still really in the planning phase of course People haven't had a chance to find out what goes best with new ryzen CPU's because they don't come out until next month.

If you don't need the PCIe Gen4 lanes off of the chipset that are separate from the CPU's lanes go for a good B550.

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
If you don't need the PCIe Gen4 lanes off of the chipset that are separate from the CPU's lanes go for a good B550.
I'm looking to spend 200-250£ on the mobo and figure for the price the x570 has more features / is probably the better long term choice.
Really I just want to know if I can buy two of those ram kits and have them perform well or if I should try and find a 32GB kit with decent gaming credentials

This setup will only run dual channel but can use 4 dimms/sticks with 2 dimms in each channel. You want dual channel as is can have a significant impact on performance, especially gaming. However I would recommend getting 2 dimms and not 4. Running 4 dimms is more likely to run into problems running higher speeds. My understanding from what I read is this happens because the memory controller has more work/ load with 4 dimms. Often a motherboards memory QVL list will stop at slower speeds when running 4. At the moment there is no need for more than 2x8gb for gaming but if the budget allows and you are not compromising elsewhere then 2x16gb is probably a better long term buy (probably).

Solution

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
This setup will only run dual channel but can use 4 dimms/sticks with 2 dimms in each channel. You want dual channel as is can have a significant impact on performance, especially gaming. However I would recommend getting 2 dimms and not 4. Running 4 dimms is more likely to run into problems running higher speeds. My understanding from what I read is this happens because the memory controller has more work/ load with 4 dimms. Often a motherboards memory QVL list will stop at slower speeds when running 4. At the moment there is no need for more than 2x8gb for gaming but if the budget allows and you are not compromising elsewhere then 2x16gb is probably a better long term buy (probably).
Ok thank you that makes sense. The simpler the config the better (probably).
Can anyone recommend a solid low latency 3600mhz 2x16GB kit for gaming?
A lot of the gaming recommendations I'm seeing are 4x8GB like the G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600

Ok thank you that makes sense. The simpler the config the better (probably).
Can anyone recommend a solid low latency 3600mhz 2x16GB kit for gaming?
A lot of the gaming recommendations I'm seeing are 4x8GB like the G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600
Personally I’d get a set from a well known brand and not worry too much. The difference in any overclocking doesn’t seem worth paying for in my opinion. My own rig with a 3700x uses a set of 2x16gb 3200mhz CL16 Corsair Vengeance Pro’s. I got them on a good deal knowing there were supposed to be better options for overclocking but I didn’t feel the cost justified it. I was actually lucky and overclocked to 3733mhz CL16 stable but the extra voltage needed over 3600mhz for no noticeable gain made me settle at 3600mhz. My own brief testing between 3200 vs 3600/3733 showed the difference to be very small, I’d never notice if not monitoring actual FPS.

Reactions: danko12321

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
Thanks to everyone who replied.
It seems like the takeaway is quad channel is only available on very high end enthusiast motherboards and realistically isn't going to impact gaming performance by a consequential amount.
I think I'll go for a 2x16GB in dual channel and leave it at that. Probably the Corsair vengeance RGB pro.

I'm better off putting money into getting the 5800x instead of the 5600x if I really want the best FPS. (The 3080 isn't going to be the bottle neck anytime soon 😅)

Thanks to everyone who replied.
It seems like the takeaway is quad channel is only available on very high end enthusiast motherboards and realistically isn't going to impact gaming performance by a consequential amount.
I think I'll go for a 2x16GB in dual channel and leave it at that. Probably the Corsair vengeance RGB pro.

I'm better off putting money into getting the 5800x instead of the 5600x if I really want the best FPS. (The 3080 isn't going to be the bottle neck anytime soon 😅)
I’m running a 3700x and 3080 at 1440p. I have never seen a cpu ‘bottleneck’ in my games. I strongly expect the 5600x will outperform the 3700x for gaming due to its big uplift in single core performance but we need to see benchmarks to see if that is true.

danko12321

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
I’m running a 3700x and 3080 at 1440p. I have never seen a cpu ‘bottleneck’ in my games. I strongly expect the 5600x will outperform the 3700x for gaming due to its big uplift in single core performance but we need to see benchmarks to see if that is true.
Yeah like you say single core performance is a big factor. You might not see your 3700x hit 100% usage but that doesn't mean the CPU isn't affecting FPS.
I think this video (
View: https://youtu.be/mrzqoeQVg4k
) from hardware unboxed gives some good real world benchmarks for the 3600x, 3950x and 10900k. There's not a huge amount in it so fair play to the 3600x.
I'm guessing the 5600x is going to be a beast for 1440p with a 3080

Yeah like you say single core performance is a big factor. You might not see your 3700x hit 100% usage but that doesn't mean the CPU isn't affecting FPS.
I think this video (
View: https://youtu.be/mrzqoeQVg4k
) from hardware unboxed gives some good real world benchmarks for the 3600x, 3950x and 10900k. There's not a huge amount in it so fair play to the 3600x.
I'm guessing the 5600x is going to be a beast for 1440p with a 3080
Unlikely to see 100% on the overall cpu with a 16 thread cpu, I think the highest I have seen is 12 threads used by a game. I don’t have any individual cores/threads getting near 100%. Also I don’t see any issue with gpu usage, it sits at 98-100%. While different CPU’s with different single core performance can achieve different FPS I wouldn’t call the difference material or a bottleneck. To me a bottleneck is when the gpu is being under utilised and I don’t see any evidence of that.

Reactions: danko12321

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
i briefly skimmed over the responses but if i missed someone saying this already my bad, but the number of channels really isnt determined on the ram side of things you can buy 4 individual sticks of ram and as long as they are identical they will operate in the number of channels your platform supports, dual channel will run in dual channel quad channel ,, you get the picture ,,, that all depends on yo how you position your modules correctly or not.