Question What charger to substitute for my current ac adapter ?

perfection161

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
My laptop gets its power supply currently through a brick style switching adapter that has an output of 19.5V and 2.1 A (40W). It has a hollow jack pin at one end.

I have no battery installed currently

My laptop has a USB C PD 2 charging capable port

Query one
What specifications must i look for in the usb c charger that i buy to charge from the usb c port that will supply the above voltage and current and wattage power that will not damage anything within the laptop and how can i be sure that it will deliver compatible voltage/current/wattage combination.

Can i use the above continuously plugged in like i did my brick adapter in the absence of the internal battery

Query two
i have another brick adapter with a USB c pin which i use for power/charging with my lenovo yoga whose specs are output ; 20V=2 A | 15V - 3A | 9V = 2A | 5V = 2A - will this work without issues? is this same as a PD 2 usb c charger?

Thank you for any help on this. I am not very familiar with these things

Lutfij

Titan
My laptop gets its power supply currently through a brick style switching adapter that has an output of 19.5V and 2.1 A (40W). It has a hollow jack pin at one end.
What is the make and mode of your laptop and it's SKU?

You should fall back on a genuine part/charger meant for your laptop IMHO.

Reactions: Gamefreaknet

perfection161

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Thank you but i already know that...

i intended to learn about what pd 2 PPS usb c charger would be compatible and if not why not...Why have a compatible port, if you cannot use it?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
What’s the laptop model and brand? As an example, Gigabyte has a webpage that outlines its requirements for USB-C PD charging.

But my guess is that it will work any USB-C PD power supply at 45W and above, if there’s a suitable port.