[SOLVED] What computer should I buy?

Dec 15, 2020
My 7 year old is interested in PC gaming, mainly Minecraft Java edition so he can play pixelmon (which is a MOD). I don’t know much about computers except that I can browse the internet and write emails. I’ve looked at the minimum requirements and recommended requirements for minecraft but it might as well be written in a foreign language. Can someone suggest a PC I can start him off with without spending a ton of money since I don’t know how long he’ll be interested in PC gaming. Thank you in advance!!

Solution
Check out the PCPP build guides, the entry level kits are about 1/2 way down the page - should give you some good ideas of what parts to use

IMHO worst time to buy any CPU or GPU with AMD die going out to consoles, crazy demand this year and not to mention the bitcoin resurgence that is depleting the GPU stocks - I am waiting until the spring for easter sales and see if things are restocked by then

if you must buy/build now, the "Entry Level Intel Gaming Build" gets you an i3-10100 (4c/8t) cpu with 16gb, an ssd and a GTX1650 Super for just over $600, perfect for a strapping young lad without killing the wallet. Sadly with the pricing the way that it is, that used to be the AMD 2600 which gave you 6c/12t for the same...
As long as the computer has:
  • CPU:
    • Intel Core i3, i5, or i7, preferably an "8th gen" or later
    • AMD Ryzen 3, 5, or 7, preferably a "2nd Gen" or later
  • RAM:
    • 8GB should be fine, but 16GB is better
  • Video card:
    • NVIDIA GeForce 16, or 20 series
    • AMD Radeon RX 570/RX580 or a RX 5000 series
  • Storage:
    • Preferably an SSD
That should cover your bases and thensome.

Reactions: Mag Vo
Check out the PCPP build guides, the entry level kits are about 1/2 way down the page - should give you some good ideas of what parts to use

IMHO worst time to buy any CPU or GPU with AMD die going out to consoles, crazy demand this year and not to mention the bitcoin resurgence that is depleting the GPU stocks - I am waiting until the spring for easter sales and see if things are restocked by then

if you must buy/build now, the "Entry Level Intel Gaming Build" gets you an i3-10100 (4c/8t) cpu with 16gb, an ssd and a GTX1650 Super for just over $600, perfect for a strapping young lad without killing the wallet. Sadly with the pricing the way that it is, that used to be the AMD 2600 which gave you 6c/12t for the same price earlier this year.

That being said, the "Entry Level AMD Gaming Build" is only slightly more expensive, just under $700 and will last a bit longer with 6c/12t for a small premium, would recommend this over the 4c/8t despite the higher seasonal price just for longevity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mag Vo
Solution