Question What could be my problem?

leevi.poyry

Commendable
Oct 28, 2017
So this morning I turned on my 6 month old pc, but instead of booting to windows I got nothing on the monitor. All the lights, fans and cooling pump turn on as normal, but the cpu debug led is solid red. The Msi manual says that it "indicates CPU is not detected or fail." Also the system won't turn off by holding the power button pressed down. I also used the paperclip trick and multimeter to check psu voltages on 8-pin cpu and 24-pin connectors, all were within the acceptable limits (Can voltages be correct without load even when the psu is broken?)

I have already tried the following things without any success:
-Start the system with only the bare minimum (Cpu, only one ram stick in the correct place, psu and mobo)
-Start the system even without the ram to see if the dram led would turn on (it didn't)
-Check all the connections
-Check the motherboard for any visible damage

It seems like my motherboard, psu or cpu is broken, but I would need to figure out which one to send to repair under warranty. The shop that sold the mobo shows stats and 6.9% of the units they sold have been brought back for repairs so I guess these break quite often?

Specs:
-i5-9600k (only using msi game boost, so not really overclocked)
-Msi MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
-Corsair cx850m
-Msi 1060 gaming X
-Corsair h100i
-Intel 760p series 256gb m.2 ssd
-Toshiba P300 1TB HDD
-Some old kingston 120gb ssd

I've spent 8 hours googling and trying things so help would really be appreciated.
Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the way to figure it out is to replace the cpu and see what happens. if that does not work, then try a new psu and so on until it finally works. last change is what is wrong with the system.

if you don't have the spare parts to work with, then the shop that sold it to you should be able to work out the problem. there is really no magical test that will narrow it down for you other than swapping out parts until you find the broken one. hopefully, the shop is willing to troubleshoot so you can get the right part replaced.

leevi.poyry

Commendable
Oct 28, 2017
the way to figure it out is to replace the cpu and see what happens. if that does not work, then try a new psu and so on until it finally works. last change is what is wrong with the system.

if you don't have the spare parts to work with, then the shop that sold it to you should be able to work out the problem. there is really no magical test that will narrow it down for you other than swapping out parts until you find the broken one. hopefully, the shop is willing to troubleshoot so you can get the right part replaced.

Sadly I don't think I can get any known good parts and the shop probably wouldn't do much as they didn't sell me the whole system, and their closest location is 3 hours away.

But would could a broken power supply or cpu cause the system not shutting down by holding down the power button?

And can the PSU supply correct voltages when not under load and then fail under load?

Hopefully someone can answer these for me.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a psu can easily check out under no load and then fail totally under a load. yours is a good model so that is not likely really.

the pc not shutting down with the button held would point to the switch itself as a cause or considering the other issues, more then likely a mobo issue. but that's just an educated guess really. with multiple items connected to the mobo having problems it is reasonable to look there for the problem for sure. but again, there is not really any magic test other than changing parts to see if that is the problem.