Question What could be wrong with my graphics card? (possible firmware error)

computertoast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2023
So a while ago I installed a firmware update, possibly involving the BIOS on my AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, and once it was complete I encountered extreme graphical bugs. Talked to a close IT professional and he said it was definitely the GPU, but could not tell if it was something wrong with the firmware or possibly it had been under too much stress and that was the final straw. Any help? Specs: Intel i5 11400, RX 6600 XT, 16gb RAM, Dell XPS 8940.

Last edited:

computertoast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2023
Why did you upgrade the VBIOS, were you trying to fix something? Did you have access to a copy of the original VBIOS?

This could be a result of the update and the best course of action is to roll back to the previous VBIOS.
I got a notification from the firmware and driver update service that was bundled with my computer, Dell Update. I did not check to see what updates it specified, but once it restarted my computer appeared to be updating a BIOS of some sort. I have no copy that I know of, and all systems except for the GPU are intact and functioning well. I am unsure at to anything else including the AIB maker's name/model as I currently am not around the machine in question

Last edited:

computertoast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2023
I will also note that when I ran Dell SupportAssist diagnostics it said something along the lines of a degraded PCIe link, which I could tell meant I needed to reseat the GPU, however this did not change anything. I wiped the pins down with some rubbing alchohol and a q-tip, and blew out the port with some compressed air. I even check that all of the wires providing power to the card were seated properly, to no avail. I think this may rule out anything physical wrong with the card.

computertoast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2023
I think it would be the best course of action to reinstall my GPU VBIOS. I cannot roll back as I do not have a copy of the original VBIOS as the update was not planned. I have found what seems to be the VBIOS on TechPowerUp, and it is a .rom file, which I am unfamiliar with. How would I go about reinstalling the VBIOS to get my card back?

Last edited: