[SOLVED] What CPU should I upgrade to?

Dec 28, 2018
I'm looking to upgrade my system in the next couple months and I need help deciding what CPU/Motherboard to buy. I currently have an i3-6100 and a MSI B150 Gaming M3. My budget for the combo will be around 300 USD.

I have looked into buying a used i7-7700 on ebay. If I did this I could save some money to spend on other things like my graphics card or ram. I've also looked into a r5 2600, but because Zen 2 is around the corner if prices stay the same the r5 3600 would be my other choice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
*Reccomendations don't have to be limited to the i7 and r5. Anything cpu/motherboard combo that fits my budget would work.

Solution
There's plenty of room for improvement in the 6th and 7th generation of Intel processors that you can plug in your motherboard, and don't discard "k" processors just because your MoBo won't let you overclock them, because they anyway have higher stock clocks (I have a 6700k in a B150 MoBo). If you are aiming for 144Hz gaming in top graphics and CPU demanding games like Battlefield maybe you should change everything, but if not a 6700k or a 7700k will be more than enough for years to come for powerful graphics cards. I actually have a G-Sync 240Hz monitor and can play CSGO at 240FPS and Battlefield 1 brings the GPU and the CPU to the 100% (the CPU rarely reaches 100% so no bottleneck) and it plays around 100FPS.

Anyway it will depend on...

Phazoner

Distinguished
There's plenty of room for improvement in the 6th and 7th generation of Intel processors that you can plug in your motherboard, and don't discard "k" processors just because your MoBo won't let you overclock them, because they anyway have higher stock clocks (I have a 6700k in a B150 MoBo). If you are aiming for 144Hz gaming in top graphics and CPU demanding games like Battlefield maybe you should change everything, but if not a 6700k or a 7700k will be more than enough for years to come for powerful graphics cards. I actually have a G-Sync 240Hz monitor and can play CSGO at 240FPS and Battlefield 1 brings the GPU and the CPU to the 100% (the CPU rarely reaches 100% so no bottleneck) and it plays around 100FPS.

Anyway it will depend on 6700k/7700k prices. Just wait for Zen 2 announcement to check prices. If you go with Ryzen it will be anyway more expensive than just getting a new processor not just because of having to buy a new MoBo but because of having to buy also new high speed RAM. But until the announcement we won't know which option is better.

Solution