Question What CPU to buy?

Nov 6, 2019
Hi all,

I've got an MSI Bazooka B250M M/BOARD & a GTX 1080 GFX card.
My corei5 CPU is maxing out playing the new COD MW.
Can people please recommend the best COMPATIBLE CPU to buy? I've always been an Intel person, but happy with whatever works.
The K' series CPU's I believe are not compatible with my M/BOARD.
Looking to spend around $ 400-600 AUD

I'd prefer the above approach vs buying a K series and new board if the solution will last 3-4 years.

Cheers

K-series ARE compatible with your motherboard, you just won't be able to overclock them.

The best COMPATIBLE CPU for your board is the i7-7700K. Kinda pricy for it being just a quad-core.

You could switch to AMD for about the same price and get a Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450 Tomahawk. AMD's B-series boards have overclocking options unlike Intel's B-series. Also, the MSI B450 Tomahawk has the BIOS Flash feature that works without a CPU so you can update to support the new Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

Nov 6, 2019
So the i7-7700K is the best compatible for 100-200 series motherboards, which is why I can't get the 8700K.
The i7-7700K, after doing some reading, seems fairly old and overpriced as you've said.
Decided to take your advice and go with your recommendation build. Just to confirm, the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is available and think I should get that instead of the legacy one. Yes?
https://www.build-gaming-computers.com/b450-tomahawk-max-build.html

Cheers

Reactions: PC Tailor