[SOLVED] What CPU would work the best in my MSI motherboard?

Aug 1, 2020
I am planning on building my first pc for gaming and I know nothing about it, I have most of the parts picked out for it but I don't know what CPU to buy. The mother board i'm going to buy is the MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC what CPU would you guys recommend buying for this?

Solution
So, for that graphics card, for gaming, and ignoring the "play pretty much any game smoothly" comment since that's really not very realistic with a GTX 1650 Super when there are games out there that we know cause even an RTX 2080 ti to sweat depending on the resolution and settings, I'd say that based purely on the graphics card model, this probably a really good match considering that if you're going to go with a K sku motherboard you probably want an unlocked CPU. Anything larger than this CPU is probably a waste since it will be grossly outclassing the graphics card.

This CPU could be used, well, with pretty much any compatible graphics card you might upgrade to down the road or if you decide to go with a somewhat higher graphics...
Oh, jeez, that's like saying "which doctor should I see". Ok, which doctor should you see FOR WHAT?

In other words, it would be helpful to know WHAT this system is primarily FOR? It would also help to know what graphics card you are planning to use? What size or model of case you will have? Whether or not overclocking is to be considered? What your budget allowance is? And so on.

Aug 1, 2020
Oh, jeez, that's like saying "which doctor should I see". Ok, which doctor should you see FOR WHAT?

In other words, it would be helpful to know WHAT this system is primarily FOR? It would also help to know what graphics card you are planning to use? What size or model of case you will have? Whether or not overclocking is to be considered? What your budget allowance is? And so on.
The system is really only for gaming i want to be able to play pretty much any game smoothly the graphics card i'm considering is the GTX 1650 SUPER GAMING X BV. I'm probably going to get a mid tower case but I can always change it to a larger one. I don't know about overclocking. I'm young so I don't have a huge budget but if i need to spend a lot of money on something I can work for it so budget doesn't matter to me.

So, for that graphics card, for gaming, and ignoring the "play pretty much any game smoothly" comment since that's really not very realistic with a GTX 1650 Super when there are games out there that we know cause even an RTX 2080 ti to sweat depending on the resolution and settings, I'd say that based purely on the graphics card model, this probably a really good match considering that if you're going to go with a K sku motherboard you probably want an unlocked CPU. Anything larger than this CPU is probably a waste since it will be grossly outclassing the graphics card.

This CPU could be used, well, with pretty much any compatible graphics card you might upgrade to down the road or if you decide to go with a somewhat higher graphics card, which to be honest, if you plan to play "any game smoothly" and assuming the resolution will be 1080p, might be a good idea. I'd say the 1660, 1660 ti or 1660 Super would be a lot better, although clearly more expensive, choices.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $194.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-01 13:59 EDT-0400

Anything less than that CPU in terms of cores, will probably suffer in some modern games.

Do you already have this motherboard, or what is the reason for the motherboard selection and what exactly do you ALREADY have, if anything? If you don't already have some of the hardware, or even if you do, what is your actual budget if there is one?

Solution

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC supports 8th and 9th gen Intel CPU. If you want Intel, you may want to consider 10th gen CPU which is cheaper but you must get LGA 1200 socket motherboard. If you are on budget, you may want to consider AMD Ryzen. If you list your budget, I am sure someone will make recommendation.

Aug 1, 2020

This CPU could be used, well, with pretty much any compatible graphics card you might upgrade to down the road or if you decide to go with a somewhat higher graphics card, which to be honest, if you plan to play "any game smoothly" and assuming the resolution will be 1080p, might be a good idea. I'd say the 1660, 1660 ti or 1660 Super would be a lot better, although clearly more expensive, choices.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $194.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-01 13:59 EDT-0400

Thank you I will use the 1660 Super graphics card instead then because I dont want a bad card I just dont know much about them.
Anything less than that CPU in terms of cores, will probably suffer in some modern games.

Do you already have this motherboard, or what is the reason for the motherboard selection and what exactly do you ALREADY have, if anything? If you don't already have some of the hardware, or even if you do, what is your actual budget if there is one?

Noah, if you simply click the "Reply" link in the bottom right corner of any post you want to respond to, and then click somewhere below whatever populates the reply box at the bottom of the page, you can then type your answer or further questions.

Or, you can simply click anywhere in the box that says "Post reply" with "Preview" next to it, at the bottom right corner of the reply box then you can respond WITHOUT quoting anything.

I don't respond to in thread content via PM very often, so if you have something to ask or add, here is the place to do it. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2020
Noah, if you simply click the "Reply" link in the bottom right corner of any post you want to respond to, and then click somewhere below whatever populates the reply box at the bottom of the page, you can then type your answer or further questions.

Or, you can simply click anywhere in the box that says "Post reply" with "Preview" next to it, at the bottom right corner of the reply box then you can respond WITHOUT quoting anything.

I don't respond to in thread content via PM very often, so if you have something to ask or add, here is the place to do it. Thanks.
Thank you, i was just wondering if you could help me design a pc that will handle games good but not cost an extreme amount of money.

Certainly. That is not a problem.

So, lets start with the basics.

What do you have now that you believe can be used for the new system in order to reduce costs, and what do you NOT have, or intend to GET, for the new build?

Assuming your are in the United States, what is the MOST you could afford to put towards the new system, for ALL of the parts that would be necessary or desired?

Aug 1, 2020
Certainly. That is not a problem.

So, lets start with the basics.

What do you have now that you believe can be used for the new system in order to reduce costs, and what do you NOT have, or intend to GET, for the new build?

Assuming your are in the United States, what is the MOST you could afford to put towards the new system, for ALL of the parts that would be necessary or desired?
I do not have a pc im on a laptop right not
heres a list of what i am planning on buying so far
Processor: Intel i7 9700k
Graphics Card:GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING
Motherboard:MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Storage: PNY - 1TB Internal PCI Express Solid State Drive
RAMCORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3GHz PC4-24000 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit
I dont have a cooler or a power source currently chosen.

I think this is about the best bang for the buck, trying to also include ALL high quality components, good features, known performance, etc. You'd still need a monitor, but I really think that is something you want to pick separately from the build and make sure you get a monitor that will work well for YOU, including whether it is G-sync compatible or has G-sync, size based on how far away from you it will be sitting and how good your eyes are, plus personal preference. I personally find a 27" or smaller display to be very good at 1080p. Any larger and it needs to be a higher resolution. Any higher resolution and it needs to be larger. So anything over 27" should probably be 1440p. Some prefer 1440p for a 27" but I think that 1080p is fine at 27" especially considering how many people game on a very large 1080p television with no complaints about pixel density.

You will also need to have a Windows license unless you already have a copy of Windows 10 that can be used with this system or a copy of Windows 7 or 8 that are on another system that can be upgraded to 10 and moved to this system via Microsoft account which I can explain further about if that's a necessity. Otherwise, you're looking at about 100 bucks for Windows unless you buy a "cheap key" somewhere and I don't recommend doing that.

Not Intel based, but a lot more performance for the investment if we're being honest. Certainly we can do an Intel based system as well if you really prefer to go that way. This is a system that will give you excellent 1080p gaming performance. If you want or plan to go with a 1440p display then we'll want to figure out how to shift some cost to the graphics card budget and go with a higher tiered RTX 2070 or 2070 Super. You could get by with a 2060 Super on 1440p, like I do, but it's not going to give you very high settings on everything at that resolution. More like Ultra on some titles, high on many titles and a mixture of high and medium on everything else.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($283.55 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 510 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($103.49 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.94 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $1305.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-11 20:52 EDT-0400

Aug 1, 2020
I think this is about the best bang for the buck, trying to also include ALL high quality components, good features, known performance, etc. You'd still need a monitor, but I really think that is something you want to pick separately from the build and make sure you get a monitor that will work well for YOU, including whether it is G-sync compatible or has G-sync, size based on how far away from you it will be sitting and how good your eyes are, plus personal preference. I personally find a 27" or smaller display to be very good at 1080p. Any larger and it needs to be a higher resolution. Any higher resolution and it needs to be larger. So anything over 27" should probably be 1440p. Some prefer 1440p for a 27" but I think that 1080p is fine at 27" especially considering how many people game on a very large 1080p television with no complaints about pixel density.

You will also need to have a Windows license unless you already have a copy of Windows 10 that can be used with this system or a copy of Windows 7 or 8 that are on another system that can be upgraded to 10 and moved to this system via Microsoft account which I can explain further about if that's a necessity. Otherwise, you're looking at about 100 bucks for Windows unless you buy a "cheap key" somewhere and I don't recommend doing that.

Not Intel based, but a lot more performance for the investment if we're being honest. Certainly we can do an Intel based system as well if you really prefer to go that way. This is a system that will give you excellent 1080p gaming performance. If you want or plan to go with a 1440p display then we'll want to figure out how to shift some cost to the graphics card budget and go with a higher tiered RTX 2070 or 2070 Super. You could get by with a 2060 Super on 1440p, like I do, but it's not going to give you very high settings on everything at that resolution. More like Ultra on some titles, high on many titles and a mixture of high and medium on everything else.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($283.55 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 510 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($103.49 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.94 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $1305.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-11 20:52 EDT-0400
Thanks i only wanted intel because thats what my laptop is and I know the most about that I never looked into AMD but i will be fine with it and my laptop has windows 10 will i be able to download it off of that and put it on a hardrive or somthing i do not understand how to do that. I have good eyes and I already have a computer and mouse but i dont know what a good moniter would be could u put a link for one that you think would work good I really want a curved one because those are so cool.

Last edited:
You probably can't move your Windows 10 license from your laptop to a new desktop, especially not without invalidating the licensed installation that is currently on the laptop. If you plan to throw the laptop away and never use it again, or sell it to somebody who will have to obtain their own copy of Windows in order to use the laptop, then you MIGHT be able to do it, but moving licenses with OEM versions of Windows 10 can be very finicky. I'd probably plan to buy a new licensed copy of the OS.

When it comes time to install Windows on the new system, you can use this to walk you through it.

As far as the monitor goes, this might be a good choice and will certainly get you buy until you become more familiar with PC gaming and what exactly it is you want or need.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $144.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 14:03 EDT-0400

Also, the case that I listed before, if you like that model, seems to be out of stock at Amazon but it IS available through Newegg even though it's not being listed as available on PCPP.

Aug 1, 2020
You probably can't move your Windows 10 license from your laptop to a new desktop, especially not without invalidating the licensed installation that is currently on the laptop. If you plan to throw the laptop away and never use it again, or sell it to somebody who will have to obtain their own copy of Windows in order to use the laptop, then you MIGHT be able to do it, but moving licenses with OEM versions of Windows 10 can be very finicky. I'd probably plan to buy a new licensed copy of the OS.

When it comes time to install Windows on the new system, you can use this to walk you through it.

As far as the monitor goes, this might be a good choice and will certainly get you buy until you become more familiar with PC gaming and what exactly it is you want or need.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $144.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 14:03 EDT-0400

Also, the case that I listed before, if you like that model, seems to be out of stock at Amazon but it IS available through Newegg even though it's not being listed as available on PCPP.
Thank you so much and if I was ever going to sell that pc how much would i be able to sell it for? because buying them prebuilt is usually more expensive then building your own

All systems, whether custom built or prebuilt, are instantly worth about 25-40% less than they cost, the minute they are "used". If they are "built to sell" then you probably wasting your time because you will also have to provide warranty and technical support, as well as the unavoidable truckload of questions that you'll get, usually at about two in the morning, from anybody who buys one and expects you to have a customer service experience similar to what any of the boutique or custom systems retailers would have.

A bad idea all the way around. If you are talking about using it for a year and then selling it, expect to get no more than 75% of what you invested in it, and probably more like 50-60%, because like cars, the second it leaves the lot the value instantly loses about 40% and it goes down from there.

Aug 1, 2020
All systems, whether custom built or prebuilt, are instantly worth about 25-40% less than they cost, the minute they are "used". If they are "built to sell" then you probably wasting your time because you will also have to provide warranty and technical support, as well as the unavoidable truckload of questions that you'll get, usually at about two in the morning, from anybody who buys one and expects you to have a customer service experience similar to what any of the boutique or custom systems retailers would have.

A bad idea all the way around. If you are talking about using it for a year and then selling it, expect to get no more than 75% of what you invested in it, and probably more like 50-60%, because like cars, the second it leaves the lot the value instantly loses about 40% and it goes down from there.
Alright thank you, and will i be able to install windows off of my laptop that has windows 10 on it?