[SOLVED] What DDR5 gpu i can match with my i3 3220?

gerero000

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
I had a saphire hd 7750 2gb with my i3 3220.
Unfortunately my gpu doesn't work anymore so,
I look for substitute gpu preferable for gaming and as little bottleneck i can get.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Solution
@gerero000 - Is this a system that was built with aftermarket components, or a prebuilt OEM system such as a Dell, for example?

If it's an OEM, there's a possibility that newer cards might not work, because a lot of newer cards require UEFI, which the older system may not have.

Also:

According to bottleneck checker, even that it a bit too much for that cpu but since it retails for around the same price as the GTX 1050 Ti, it's just better.

Bottleneck calculator results

You can use more powerful GPU's but in cpu intensive games, you'll see huge bottleneck.

No no NO NO NO! NEVER!

Bottleneck calculator sites are complete crap - WORSE than useless. In fact, throw the word "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary...
What resolution? What games?

Your cpu is below the minimum recommended for most/all modern AAA games so regardless of gpu choice these games are going to be less than optimal. What are your expectations or what do you want to achieve?

Don’t use that bottleneck calculator or any other similar websites. They are completely inaccurate misleading garbage.

4 GB GTX 1650 will be the best upgrade for your system.

According to bottleneck checker, even that it a bit too much for that cpu but since it retails for around the same price as the GTX 1050 Ti, it's just better.

You can use more powerful GPU's but in cpu intensive games, you'll see huge bottleneck.

Or he can buy the RX 570 which costs less and dumpsters both.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@gerero000 - Is this a system that was built with aftermarket components, or a prebuilt OEM system such as a Dell, for example?

If it's an OEM, there's a possibility that newer cards might not work, because a lot of newer cards require UEFI, which the older system may not have.

Also:

No no NO NO NO! NEVER!

Bottleneck calculator sites are complete crap - WORSE than useless. In fact, throw the word "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary when it comes to PCs, as the term has been misused to the point of meaninglessness.

It boils down to:
  • What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What games do you play?

Also, the type of memory the video card itself has is irrelevant when it comes to compatibility. It only means something for graphics performance (some budget cards, rather than using GDDR5 or GDDR6, instead use DDR3 or DDR4 - and those particular models should be avoided).

Reactions: Finstar
Solution
What power supply do you have? Make, model and wattage.
What is your monitor resolution?

Video cards Vram has nothing to do with compatability.

Most modern graphics cards will be limited by your i3. I'd suggest an upgrade to an I5 3570 and RX570 if possible. You would need a good psu.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Watch this video ->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDItxM5JleA

and see the GPU usage.

at one point it drops to 2 % which is the biggest bottleneck i have ever seen.

even with 3 GB variant.

but it is no bottleneck according to some people.

I know these calculators are not accurate but it doesn't mean you can pair an 8 year old dual core with a 6 GB GTX 1060.

It's a terrible idea to use that gpu on any dual core pc, doesn't matter it's 3rd or 7th gen.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Usually trying to defend a difficult position with "watch this video" is simply a case of digging your hole even deeper."

Sure, you can make that claim. Now, run an older game, attach that system to a 4K monitor, and run at 4K resolution with the details cranked up. Suddenly it's not the GPU anymore.

Bottleneck calculators, and a CPU-to-GPU correspondence/match concept, are garbage.

I listed the three things that are the considerations for picking a GPU - don't keep trying to justify a "this CPU with that GPU" methodology. That is not accurate, nor helpful.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
I answered based on assumption, obviously.

1080p resolution
300 W Power supply
Mid-tower ATX Case

because that's what a huge majority of people have.

and in this case 4 GB GTX 1650 is the best.
Though for 768p resolution, even a 4 GB 1050 Ti is enough.

and 4K is out of the question cause majority of people either don't need it or can't afford it.