Question What died? Motherboard? CPU? RAM?

Jul 7, 2023
I have a system that's been running in its current state for a few years without substantive problems. Today I bumped my case and the system froze, and now it won't come back up.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570i
MANUAL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3600
Memory: 32GB DDR4

PSU: Cooler Master MPE 7501 750W

Video card: Gigabyte Nvidia 1060

So today it was running, I bumped the case, and it froze, then powered down. I've opened it up, and I can't figure out what might've failed- failure mode is that I turn on the power supply and see various LEDs light up, I hit the power switch, and the memory and various vanity LEDs come on, and the fans (CPU and case) start spinning then stop after a moment. After having switched it on, no video comes up, and the system won't power off again via holding the front panel power switch. The motherboard has troubleshooting LEDs just above the main PSU motherboard connector, and none of those LEDs light up.

I've pulled the video card out, pulled the motherboard out of the case and tried starting with it sitting on a towel, etc.

What should I be looking for next?

Today I bumped my case

What should I be looking for next?

If literally all you did was bump the case, I'd certainly disconnect and then reconnect all internal wires and cables. Reseat the RAM. Examine cooler for proper mounting.

I suppose there is a remote chance the shock of the bump affected a spinning hard drive....if one was spinning at the time. Maybe do a disk check.

Jul 7, 2023
If literally all you did was bump the case, I'd certainly disconnect and then reconnect all internal wires and cables. Reseat the RAM. Examine cooler for proper mounting.

I suppose there is a remote chance the shock of the bump affected a spinning hard drive....if one was spinning at the time. Maybe do a disk check.
Yeah, I've disconnected and reconnected everything; every power supply connection, etc, as part of pulling the MoBo from the case.

No spinning disks in this system, only solid-state.

Jun 16, 2023
When you initially opened the case after bumping into it did you notice anything out of place. Was the Video Card still properly seated? Did you initially have any loose wires or were they neatly cabled using tie-straps? What kind of CPU Cooler do you have installed?

Jul 7, 2023
When you initially opened the case after bumping into it did you notice anything out of place. Was the Video Card still properly seated? Did you initially have any loose wires or were they neatly cabled using tie-straps? What kind of CPU Cooler do you have installed?
Everything seemed seated as expected. I wondered if somehow a loose screw was around, but found nothing that made sense for what might've happened.

Do you have another computer to test Video card to rule that out.

If you have tested video in another system and it's working re-test on your motherboard.

Still not working clear the bios.

If it boots your good, if not pull the memory and boot motherboard.

Yes it will bark at you " BEEP" but sometimes it needs to freak to wake up.

Do these steps with you hard drive's disconnected to not corrupt windows