What do I buy? Graphics Card or Processor+Mother board

Sep 22, 2018
Hello, I have been debating for a while now what should I buy. Currently I'm choosing from Graphics card or Processor and Mother board.

Currently I have Radeon R9 270 and I want to change it with Nvidia RTX 2070

My processor is i5-4440 3.10 GHz and I want to swap it for i7-7700k and Asus Republic Of Gamers STRIX Z270E GAMING.

Any thought on what I should do?

Mother Board and Processor are gonna be bought together.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Personally, I'd opt for the new CPU/Motherboard (8700K/Z370) but you should note you would likely also need new (DDR4) RAM; all still likely well within the cost of the RTX 2070.

-Wolf sends

Sep 22, 2018
Well, yeah but my problem is that in my Graphics card is 2 GB and it really hard to play anything with good graphics without my PC being able to fry on.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Today, I think you are more limited by your graphics card than the cpu.

But, once you get a RTX2080 class graphics card, that will change.

If you are going to change out your motherboard, it will be best to go to latest gen.

That will be ryzen 2nd gen or intel 9th gen.

My bet is on the intel i7-9700K

Yes, new stuff is DDR4 only. Plan on a 2 x 16gb kit.

Do not worry about vram.
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/
Spoiler... not a significant difference.
A more current set of tests shows the same results:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

And... no game maker wants to limit their market by
requiring huge amounts of vram. The vram you see will be appropriate to the particular card.

Unless the motherboard and processor are in some bundle deal that makes the price significantly better, I would go with an 8000-series processor (and appropriate motherboard) instead, since Intel added more cores and higher clock rates at any given price point this generation. For example, a 6-core, 6-thread i5-8600K tends to perform slightly better than the 4-core, 8-thread i7-7700K, while costing a fair amount less. Keep in mind that either of these processors will also require DDR4 RAM though, and your existing system should be using DDR3, so you will need to buy new RAM. You'll also likely need a capable cooler if you are currently just using an Intel stock cooler, as these processors run hotter and don't include a bundled cooler, being unlocked "K" parts.

Another, more cost-effective option might be to pick up a used processor for your existing motherboard, since Intel's per-core performance gains haven't exactly been that large in recent years. For example, a pre-owned i7-4790K is only about 15% behind the performance of a 7700K, can be found for around $250 on ebay, and should work with your existing motherboard and RAM. Though again, you'll want at least something like a $30 tower cooler for it if you don't already have one. And if you don't have a Z-series motherboard, you won't be able to overclock, though a 4790K can typically only overclock around 10-15% anyway, and will require a fairly powerful cooler to do so.

As for the graphics card upgrade, such an upgrade might be a reasonable option, but an RTX 2070 might be overkill. Keep in mind that the 2070 will likely perform similar to a GTX 1080 in most existing games, and that it will likely be around $600 at launch, and probably won't be available for another month. Since the R9 270 is only about as powerful as a GTX 1050, another decent upgrade option could be a GTX 1070, which can currently be found new starting at around $370, or pre-owned for significantly less. At 1080p resolution, even a 1070 should run games quite well at max graphics settings, and would even be relatively decent at 1440p. It's also possible to find some GTX 1080s for under $450 new, quite a bit less than what the RTX 2070 should be when it launches. You would miss out on the fancy raytracing effects in the handful of games that are expected to support them in the near future, but as of now no games support them quite yet, so it's difficult to say how the feature will stack up in actual games.

Rather than choosing between a relatively expensive graphics card, or a relatively expensive CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Cooler upgrade, you would likely get better overall gaming performance by going with a more reserved combination of the two, particularly if you are gaming at 1080p, such as a used i7-4790K with a GTX 1070.

Sep 22, 2018

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to change my processor and motherboard right now and I'm just gonna get a GTX 1080 because right now I cant aford both CPU and GPU or DDR4 RAM for the CPU/Motherboard

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014
I'm kinda in the same boat. A rebuild would be most logical, but costs more. I can slightly upgrade my CPU but buying used and so risky. I could upgrade my GPU but my CPU may bottleneck.

Basically, know that the 1080 should help, but also realize it will do only so much. If you're okay with that (and you can always transfer GPU to new build), go for it.