What do you do with your old hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
My recent (Six or seven months) foray into the world of building your own PC, has been a BLAST!

I've ended up with two rigs that play most everything I throw at them at max... And am still loving opening my baby up to upgrade her further!

But I've run into a bit of a dilemma. After my most recent choice to upgrade from a P67 mobo in one rig, to a Z68... I now am left with an additional motherboard. It's rather new, but obviously due to me upgrading (It's sort of just sitting in a box. I've mulled the idea of building another system around it (As I had so much fun with the other two.) But realistically I'd rather spend that money to further upgrading my primary rig... Or conversely pushing the secondary up to where my main machine is.

And it led me to wonder what people do when they upgrade? Do you sell the parts on ebay? Save them for testing other components? Or what?

I know it's all personal preference, but I really haven't an idea where to go with these extra pieces?

I know technology is one of those rapidly aging area's in consumerism, where everything gets outdated rather fast... So is it even worth holding onto the parts? Should I just chuck it and assume a hefty cost loss for my hobby?

And lastly (I know this post is too long already sorry =S)

These are the parts I have as "extra's" do you think it's worth just shelling out the extra cash and building a third system for my home? (I do occasionally have get togethers with other PC playing friends.)

750w Zephyr PSU,
MSI P67A-GD53 mobo,
8GB Corsair Vengeance Memory
EVGA GTX 460
Noctua NH-D14 cooler

Would it be worth just building a whole nother system?

Thanks! All opinions welcome.

Solution
Keeping a few parts handy for testing such as a PSU and graphics card is quite useful if you do build computers on a regular basis, or if you encounter any problems with your current computers.

Technology evolves at an amazing rate, but that doesn't mean last year's hardware is worthless - the Core i7 920 was released all the way back in 2008 and it still holds its own against the newer Core i7s.

If you think that a third computer will benefit you (I don't really see how, as I only really play a few games/edit video on my desktop) then you might as well try building another. In terms of LAN parties, it could be useful, but only if you host these events on a regular basis.

Those parts are definitely worth something though, so...
Keeping a few parts handy for testing such as a PSU and graphics card is quite useful if you do build computers on a regular basis, or if you encounter any problems with your current computers.

Technology evolves at an amazing rate, but that doesn't mean last year's hardware is worthless - the Core i7 920 was released all the way back in 2008 and it still holds its own against the newer Core i7s.

If you think that a third computer will benefit you (I don't really see how, as I only really play a few games/edit video on my desktop) then you might as well try building another. In terms of LAN parties, it could be useful, but only if you host these events on a regular basis.

Those parts are definitely worth something though, so don't chuck them out whatever you do. Selling them would be a good way to get more $ to upgrade your second computer to match your first one. However, if your second computer is decent enough for LAN parties and the like, and your first computer is what you use as your primary, then I don't see much point of upgrading your second PC (in terms of practicality).

Decide on what's more important:

- Having more money for upgrades/etc,

or

- Having more systems for LAN parties/other activities

or

- Keeping some parts for checking/possible future builds.

Personally, I just give old parts away, but I don't really upgrade too often and often my friends or whoever generally speaking need these parts.

Do note though, that if one of your computers go wrong, you can just use parts from another to check if it works or not.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.