jacksh

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hey :

Iam planning on building an unexpensive gaming rig. Sempron 3300( 754) , 1G ram , and Geforce 6800 GS PCI . Do you think this little one will be able to handle the new games with repected dignity ?

Thanks

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Absolutely. My only gripe is Sempron's have locked multi's.
If you feel the need, you could always push your CPU's clocks,
but I own a Sempron 3000+, and its a pretty good little chip
for the money.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Buy a console (XBox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, GameCube, Revolution) for gaming. You'll be much more happy not having thrown away money on junk AMD or Intel equipment.

If you need a computer, buy an inexpensive laptop, you will have portability and it will be easier to sell after you don't want it anymore.

Desktops are dinosaurs, NOW!!!!!

eyimbo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Buy a console (XBox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, GameCube, Revolution) for gaming. You'll be much more happy not having thrown away money on junk AMD or Intel equipment.

If you need a computer, buy an inexpensive laptop, you will have portability and it will be easier to sell after you don't want it anymore.

don't agree with that, no offence, i've got nothing against you, i say if you build a PC with a nice mobo, you can keep up for a while, where as a PS or an Xbox you're pretty much stuck for life, and plus you can't beat the performance of a PC when playing games, ok it'll cost more but the amount of things you can do on a PC more than makes up for it.

eyimbo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hey, if why don't you try and find a cheap MOBO with a 939 socket and find a athlon 64 3200+?? try looking up special offers. i really isn't that much more expensive, i'm not sure about this but as far as i know athlons are slightly faster than semprons. as semprons are budget K-Mart type chips, bit like celerons to P4s

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003

:roll:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
My poor old modded reg Xbox. It's a dinosaur. At least it sits on a shelf and doesn't take up much space as my other pet dinosaur PC's. :lol:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Actually, I put all my games on the HD.. well, I used ta :lol:

Can't remember the last time I ever played on it. :cry:

Makes the shelf look useful, though. :oops:

jacksh

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hey, Thanks for answers
I have a very expensive laptop. I bought it 2 months ago as a gaming laptop, but i figured out that it was a crap. Laptops never work for games.

So, I think that i can upgrade the video card when needed , not the cpu to keep up-to-date with games.
Do you think that the cpu sem 3300 will handle the GF 9700 GT ?

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I pretty much built myself a gaming system along the lines that you are considering. I just was interested in seeing what the Sempron could do! My system consist of cpu-Sempron 64 3400+ 2ghz ( I just recently have been playing with overclocking and I have it up to 2.5ghz. Stable in Prime 95 for 6hr before I turned it off.) I also went with the 6800GS. Since I built the system I have completed Quake 4 and F.E.A.R.. The games ran as smooth as silk and and were absolutely beautiful to behold. The games were ran at medium or high settings and 2xAA and 4xAF and in F.E.A.R. with soft shadows enabled! In your case the only thing I would change is that I would get 2gb ram (2x1gb sticks). Also dont freak out when you see the stock cpu heatsink (like I did!).Semprons run really cool. Aftermarket heatsink not necessary. The highest temp I have seen is 46 degrees C and that was after running Prime 95 for 6hrs. It idles at room temp in my case. P.S. I completed Quake 4 and F.E.A.R. before I overclocked the cpu. Major components- system 1--Asus NCCH-DL motherboard, 2 Xeon Nocona core cpus 3.2ghz each, 2gb ram OCZ Ultra, 2 Hitachi Deskstars hard drives in raid 0 and Leadtek 6800 video card. System 2 --Asrock K8nf4g-sata2 motherbd,Sempron 64 3400+ cpu,Evga 6800GS video card, 2gb ram(2x1gb sticks) Adata D-400 and Hitachi sata2 harddrive. All purchased at NEWEGG!

jacksh

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
So, do we really need a " 1000 Dollar-CPU as FX 60 ?", if the 100 dollar CPU SEM can do the same job roughly.

I don't think that it really differs to have FX 60 or sem 3000, it depends on the video cards not on the CPU any more , i mean the games .

What do you think ?

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

I had COD 2 before the Xbox 360 was released. Walked into a best buy and played it on the 360. I will keep my PC thanks.

It depends. Video cards shine at high resolutions, whereas lower ones (800x600 and below) are more CPU-dependent. And video card performance depends on its interface mostly. So if you get an okay CPU and run it on a board with a PCI x16 slot and a decent chipset, you should be much better off for gaming than getting a fast CPU and a low-end card.

So to answer your question, it will work and should work well. Just try to get a Socket 939 version if at all available because the 939 motherboards are faster than the 754 boards. Or alternatively you could get a S939 Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ for a little bit more than the Sempron.