[SOLVED] What does '10/100' means on a lan port???

So i am deciding to get a new pci Ethernet card for my pc while browsing i came across cards with 10/100? I want to know what does that mean? I currently have 10mbps Ethernet connection will getting a 1 gigabit Ethernet card help me?? And my network wire/cable is an optical fibre if that's worth mentioning. And what should i keep in mind while shopping for a Ethernet cards?

Solution
So i am deciding to get a new pci Ethernet card for my pc while browsing i came across cards with 10/100? I want to know what does that mean? I currently have 10mbps Ethernet connection will getting a 1 gigabit Ethernet card help me?? And my network wire/cable is an optical fibre if that's worth mentioning. And what should i keep in mind while shopping for a Ethernet cards?
A 10/100 network card will work at 10Mbit or 100Mbit. It will not work at gigabit. A gigabit capable card would be a 10/100/1000.
If you have a 10Mbit WAN (ISP package) speed then no network card will change that.
What NIC are you working with right now? Care to share a link to the PCI Ethernet card you're looking at? If the NIC you're currently on is built into the motherboard, include the make and model of your motherboard.
I have GA-945gcm-s2l mobo it's network port is dead, so i am using a cheap $3 mini wifi card it's network chipset is 8188fu.
The one I'm thinking to buy

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
A 10/100 network card will work at 10Mbit or 100Mbit. It will not work at gigabit. A gigabit capable card would be a 10/100/1000.
If you have a 10Mbit WAN (ISP package) speed then no network card will change that.

Solution