[SOLVED] What does this light mean and why is it so inconsistent?

Feb 25, 2020
This light will come on during post and stay on. Sometimes it will go away. Sometimes it comes on just using Chrome. Sometimes while gaming, but it doesn't stay on the entire time I run my PC.

I recently switched from first gen Ryzen to a 3900x and a new Asus Rog x570 motherboard. It doesn't seem to be causing a lot of issues that I can see. MOBO manual says it refers to VGA. Well, my GPU and cables are all connected properly. I just didn't have this problem with my x370 Asus ROG and if it's not causing any issues that I can see, you may ask "so what's the big deal?" I understand that. Just trying to make sure I don't have a problem here.
fOtzutC.png

Solution
If it turns out there's not actually something wrong, which I actually don't think there is (my ASUS RoG board behaves pretty similar to what you describe), you could try and look for the following settings in BIOS.

On my Asus RoG Maximus XI motherboard, there's an option in BIOS, that turns all (or some, your choice) of the LEDS completely OFF, when POST has been performed and the PC continues to boot to Windows. Actually you can even disable them completely.

I do not mean the RGB lighting effects, but all the indication LEDs.

It is found in the Onboard Devices menu, it is called "Onboard LED" in my BIOS, and also "Q-Code LED", the choices applies to the Q-Code indication (the one that shows AA on your PC) and all the other small...
the fact that the manual states it refers to VGA could possibly be an issue with your CPU not having an onboard graphics chip. though i've never seen or heard of any warning lights or alarms pertaining to that. maybe to let a new builder know that everything is working but they need a dedicated GPU?

check in your BIOS options for something pertaining to lights, warnings, even "VGA" in general. see if there is some way to turn it off, change it's setting, or just acknowledge that you don't have any issue with the VGA.

i would contact ASUS directly to find out for sure what the deal is.

Feb 25, 2020
the fact that the manual states it refers to VGA could possibly be an issue with your CPU not having an onboard graphics chip. though i've never seen or heard of any warning lights or alarms pertaining to that. maybe to let a new builder know that everything is working but they need a dedicated GPU?

check in your BIOS options for something pertaining to lights, warnings, even "VGA" in general. see if there is some way to turn it off, change it's setting, or just acknowledge that you don't have any issue with the VGA.

i would contact ASUS directly to find out for sure what the deal is.

BIOS growing pains a possibility?

Feb 25, 2020
that should be a temperature LCD, though I may be wrong.
the "AA" code must have a particular meaning. see if ASUS or some online database has a list of all the codes and their meanings.

AA says something about No ASL...like...ok? lol

Again, not sure what the cause is but if it doesn't seem to be causing me problems, I guess I shouldn't get worked up.

If it turns out there's not actually something wrong, which I actually don't think there is (my ASUS RoG board behaves pretty similar to what you describe), you could try and look for the following settings in BIOS.

On my Asus RoG Maximus XI motherboard, there's an option in BIOS, that turns all (or some, your choice) of the LEDS completely OFF, when POST has been performed and the PC continues to boot to Windows. Actually you can even disable them completely.

It is found in the Onboard Devices menu, it is called "Onboard LED" in my BIOS, and also "Q-Code LED", the choices applies to the Q-Code indication (the one that shows AA on your PC) and all the other small LEDs that identify or signals during POST

Picture of BIOS Setting

If you for example want Aura RGB on, but all the indication LEDs off, you select "Aura Only". If you don't want any lights at all, choose "Stealth Mode". You can choose different modes for when the PC is turnd off and when it is switched on.

You could have a look and see if you have somthing similar on your ASUS RoG board, I would think there is, since it is a recent RoG motherboard model, and I don't see why it should be different between AMD or Intel boards, when they are from the same "line of products" (Republic of Gamers).
But you never know, of course - but it might be woth a try if the lights annoy you.

Last edited:
Reactions: imherenow
Solution
Feb 25, 2020
ASL = ACPI Source Language. would be something to do with the way your hardware communicates with software.
i would guess this is not something you can fix and would need to be addressed in a BIOS update. but really...?

Yeah. I think that's gonna have to wait until Asus does something in an update.

It is found in the Onboard Devices menu, it is called "Onboard LED" in my BIOS, and also "Q-Code LED", the choices applies to the Q-Code indication (the one that shows AA on your PC) and all the other small LEDs that identify or signals during POST

Picture of BIOS Setting

If you for example want Aura RGB on, but all the indication LEDs off, you select "Aura Only". If you don't want any lights at all, choose "Stealth Mode". You can choose different modes for when the PC is turnd off and when it is switched on.

You could have a look and see if you have somthing similar on your ASUS RoG board, I would think there is, since it is a recent RoG motherboard model, and I don't see why it should be different between AMD or Intel boards, when they are from the same "line of products" (Republic of Gamers).
But you never know, of course - but it might be woth a try if the lights annoy you.

Thank you. I'll look into it :)

Last edited: