Question What equipment is needed for outdoor network setup?

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Do I need soemthing like this for after the hole is drilled into the wall?

Thanks.

WaterproofWallplate1.jpg

I guess it depends on how protected the jack is. I am not sure the purpose of that plate. It appears to try to prevent the water from getting into the box behind it. It does not protect the actual outlet where the cable plugs in.

If you do not get rain directly on the outlet you can likely use normal indoor plates and jacks.

If it does get rain directly I would instead buy a covered outlet used for electrical extension cords. They allow you to plug a extension cord into a outlet and prevent the rain from getting on it. They are basically a hinged plastic cover that is open on the bottom. Almost every home improvement store sells them. You just use ethernet plates and cables instead of power.

There are also many other forms of water resistant couplers. The ones used to connect outdoor security cameras for example.

Note it is very hard to find water "proof" rated connectors. If you were say going to bury the cable or maybe run it though a water pond you need very different connectors. Again there are one designed and certified for electrical use which has much higher requirements that ethernet.

Apr 21, 2024
running some cpe210/cpe510 which rely on poe and mounted these without any additional protection.
only used 'flat' ethernet-cables to get 'through' windows/doors.