What equipment should I use for laptop repair?

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I'm planning on opening two separate laptops(A Dell Inspiron 15 3567 and an HP Pavilion G6). I won't be replacing the busted drive on the Dell until a black friday sale to get something like a 480gb Kingston A400. For the HP Pavilion G6, I'm selling it for my mom(already listed). It's fairly decent for web browsing and watching movies with its DVD drive, but it's overheating so I'm looking to clear dust(I figured there was just simply a dust issue).

What sort of equipment should I get to do this? I don't really need a grounding mat, I can just use a wooden desk(especially if I touch the desk while being grounded myself). I'm looking at ordering a grounding wrist band that will plug into the wall. I do have one computer with a PSU I could ground to, but I'd rather not tear it open just to do that. Would just use a compressed air canister to clear the dust after opening, so for the HP, there will be minimum contact to sensitive hardware(but I'll need the equipment later anyways). Some thinner screw drivers would help too, if I can buy fairly cheaply.

I live in Canada, in case you want to recommend a product in particular.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
https://www.amazon.ca/Precision-Screwdriver-Upgrade-Magnetic-Extension/dp/B07V5N4X1T/ref=pd_sbs_469_1/134-0142799-8848479?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07V5N4X1T&pd_rd_r=6e2cecc0-4dbd-4019-9336-a57da70079eb&pd_rd_w=3QfdF&pd_rd_wg=B5Bqi&pf_rd_p=51202c9a-f9ab-4d97-ad76-aa53f0391454&pf_rd_r=ETZG46V407HTG2GWRCKF&refRID=ETZG46V407HTG2GWRCKF&th=1

Might go for something like that, mostly since it also includes prying tools to get the darn keyboard off of the laptop. ESD tweezers sound useful for unplugging ribbons too.

Also with this grounding wrist strap:
https://www.amazon.ca/Anti-static-W...11ZZ80ES85D&psc=1&refRID=8QFF813BA11ZZ80ES85D

Don't see risk in buying cheap, I bet producing these costs just cents anyways. Could just try to clip it to a screw on the back of the PSU on my PC.

Last edited:
Thinking of the G6 ... you could try simply blasting compressed air into the exhaust port. Sometimes that's all it takes. BTW, again on the G6, prying the keyboard off is not the approved method ... you simply push it off from the back using the hole provided for that!

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Thinking of the G6 ... you could try simply blasting compressed air into the exhaust port. Sometimes that's all it takes. BTW, again on the G6, prying the keyboard off is not the approved method ... you simply push it off from the back using the hole provided for that!
Thanks! Will try to just blow it out with an airhorn. As for the keyboard part, the Dell Inspiron does need that, as it even has 5 notches to insert the tool to pry it open. I'm definitely going to watch and rewatch videos on people doing it, since I'm by no means an expert on laptop repair. Will definitely try just blowing through all the intake vents with an airhorn(maybe the other way too).

Thanks!

Will definitely try just blowing through all the intake vents with an airhorn(maybe the other way too).

For sure do the intake vents but pay particular attention to the exhaust vent ... the fins or rad there (whatever you want to call it) tend to clog up. I know it seems anti-intuitive to blow air into the laptop but it can work wonders. There's nothing sensitive behind the vent if it's the G6 I'm thinking of ... but you haven't stated the model number.

I don't know that model of Dell but I'm surpised the keyboard has to come off just to replace the hard drive but then ... Dells can be a little weird.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
For sure do the intake vents but pay particular attention to the exhaust vent ... the fins or rad there (whatever you want to call it) tend to clog up. I know it seems anti-intuitive to blow air into the laptop but it can work wonders. There's nothing sensitive behind the vent if it's the G6 I'm thinking of ... but you haven't stated the model number.

I don't know that model of Dell but I'm surpised the keyboard has to come off just to replace the hard drive but then ... Dells can be a little weird.
Already sold the computer, after blowing through both vents. Not a whole lot came out, but the difference was noticeable(although not much). Buyer seemed happy with the deal, tossed in an extra 20 bucks, since I brought it to him and got windows 10 set up for him.

Thanks!

And for the Dell, yes, the keyboard needs to come off, to unplug the SATA cable for the Optical Drive, I think it was to get at some screws to get the backplate off, maybe it was just in the way of some beam or something. Either way, what a painful process. Also seems that it's even more of a pain to get the optical drive back in(According to comments and the fact that both videos I watched cut out the part of both taking the optical drive out and putting it back in). Big oof, but worth saving the extra hundred bucks or so to get a technician to do it. It's not too complicated, just like building some Ikea furniture really. It just seems very intimidating with all the cables and delicates, but I mean it's really just unscrewing a few screws, sliding a few plates off and unplugging a drive and plugging in a new one. Not rocket science(but it is computer science ig).

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
You've got me curious ... what model of G6 is it? ... it'll be on a sticker under the battery.
Oh, I sold it already! Sorry! I couldn't find the model online, when I was trying to get a new ISO from HP(The one provided in a partitioned section of the drive was broken and unusable). Turns out I need warranty for that anyways. Specs were A6-4400M, Kingston SSD Now 120GB, 4gb RAM. I have some photos on my phone too if your still interested. Had fun updating it to windows 10. Felt like such a computer software pro, since even microsoft said that upgrading it requires a new windows key(which it clearly doesn't). It should've provided me with a new windows 10 key, but I forgot to check. Will be upgrading my dads windows 8 laptop too(but this time I'm saving an ISO just in case, since his computer is a little better). FYI, my dad isn't bad with computers, he just didn't know he could do it for free. He bought a used gaming laptop since he found it on a good deal and he majored in computer science in university(Why is this becoming a biography for my dad!?!)

Anyways, I'll just let you respond(and hopefully I'll get back to you faster!). The full biography should be posted by next year. Stay tuned!

Specs were A6-4400M, Kingston SSD Now 120GB, 4gb RAM. I have some photos on my phone too if your still interested. Had fun updating it to windows 10. Felt like such a computer software pro, since even microsoft said that upgrading it requires a new windows key(which it clearly doesn't). It should've provided me with a new windows 10 key, but I forgot to check.

Sounds like it was a 2000 series pavilon. That's my go to laptop whenever friends or family want an inexpensive laptop. we like them because they're easily upgradeable (they can take an A10 quad core apu for instance and despite what HP says ... will use up to 16 GB of ram).

I've upgraded many of them to win 10 from 8. They run nicely under Win 10. Nice to know ms is still doing that for free. Regarding the Win 10 key ... I think you would have found that ms doesn't provide one when upgrading from a previous win version ... it activates it in a different way ... I forget the details of this but someone with more win 10 expertise could explain that if interested.

Anyways ... nice going on the sale ... not surprised it went quickly ... a good, solid, albeit older, laptop.

Last edited:
Oh ... just some advice for your future endeavors ... that 120GB ssd is very much on the small size. Win 10 alone will eat up a huge chunk of it as it updates over time. Throw in MS Office and something like Adobe Photoshop, some personal data files (documents, photos, videos) and the drive is full. A funny thing about SSDs ... you should never load them past 80% capacity so what looks like 120 GB is actually only about 96 GB of useable space. SSD manufacturers seldom mention that.

It occured to me that I never answered your question about tools. Since you're in Canada (as am I), here's what I use for screwdrivers at least:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ver-set-with-tweezers-14-pc-0573210p.html#srp

Being Mastercraft they have a life-time replacement warranty at any CTC store and I mean there are Canadian Tire stores everywhere aren't there. Don't be put off by the price ... they often go on sale for like 60% off. I like having individual scewdrivers rather than those plug in tips. I think you'll find that those tiny screws are sometimes recessed into pockets and those plug in thingies are too thick to reach in ... on individual screwdrivers, the shaft is the same diameter as the tip itself so in they go no problem ... know what I mean?

Thinking of your dad's gaming laptop ... I'm guessing he usually has it plugged in. If so, he/you might want to consider this feature I only recently discovered about Win10 (won't work in Win 8 so ... after you upgrade).

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Oh ... just some advice for your future endeavors ... that 120GB ssd is very much on the small size. Win 10 alone will eat up a huge chunk of it as it updates over time. Throw in MS Office and something like Adobe Photoshop, some personal data files (documents, photos, videos) and the drive is full. A funny thing about SSDs ... you should never load them past 80% capacity so what looks like 120 GB is actually only about 96 GB of useable space. SSD manufacturers seldom mention that.
But comparing the size to other used laptops in it's price range, it's large. The Asus 2 in 1 I just listed only has 60 GB eMMC. Oof.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
It occured to me that I never answered your question about tools. Since you're in Canada (as am I), here's what I use for screwdrivers at least:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ver-set-with-tweezers-14-pc-0573210p.html#srp

Being Mastercraft they have a life-time replacement warranty at any CTC store and I mean there are Canadian Tire stores everywhere aren't there. Don't be put off by the price ... they often go on sale for like 60% off. I like having individual scewdrivers rather than those plug in tips. I think you'll find that those tiny screws are sometimes recessed into pockets and those plug in thingies are too thick to reach in ... on individual screwdrivers, the shaft is the same diameter as the tip itself so in they go no problem ... know what I mean?

Thinking of your dad's gaming laptop ... I'm guessing he usually has it plugged in. If so, he/you might want to consider this feature I only recently discovered about Win10 (won't work in Win 8 so ... after you upgrade).

Makes sense on the screwdrivers being narrower, but the kit doesn't come with the (cheap) prying tools. If I can find it on sale, sure why not. If I can buy it in store, even better! But the screw on my laptops aren't really too far in, just a few millimetres(Maybe I could just use a regular philips screwdriver tbh, but it might scratch the edges of the plastic). The lifetime warranty sounds very good, but doesn't make much sense to me. So I can just always come get another screwdriver if I break one?

But comparing the size to other used laptops in it's price range, it's large. The Asus 2 in 1 I just listed only has 60 GB eMMC. Oof.

There's no comparison to be made between an Asus 'toy' made for surfing and maybe streaming the odd movie and a 'real' laptop like that G6 that's ready, willing and able to use well designed software to execute complex tasks (video editing, transcoding, database management, etc).

As to SSD size, I recommend you read the following thread ... it's all interesting but pay particular attention to the last reply by USAFRet ... he knows his stuff.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-slow-down-when-full.3634195/#post-21901317

Thinking of prying tools, some of us use guitar picks, can't get much cheaper than that and ... when not using them for prying, they're usefull for belting out 'Stairway to Heaven' lol.