what flight sim allows this

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> Hi boB,
> Eek! I'm sure glad I live in a place with no poisonous creepy
> crawlers! (too cold and wet here?). Snakes and spiders are just fine
> with me if they keep their distance, but if one gets too near my
> skin, I'm not especially happy about that; though I'd rather move out
> of their way than kill them.
>
> I have encountered some rattlesnakes in eastern WA and in the deserts
> of the southwest, but happily, if they weren't just sleeping in the
> sun, they seemed at least as interested in getting out of my way as I
> was in getting out of theirs! :)

The Rattlesnake will also run if given the chance. But the danger to
our dogs is too great to leave them alone. It's funny, before the first
encounter I had walked all over the property walking dogs day and night.
I was walking with an Akita girl we had just taken in and we hadn't had
time to fully evaluate. I had a mini-mag light with run-down batteries
but I didn't think I would need a bright light. The Akita was walking
along the fence but a person can't walk there easily so I was walking a
path through brush when I heard a loud noise like a rabbit would make in
the leaves. But as I got closer where my dim flashlight actually lit up
the area I saw the big guy there all coiled and ready. He didn't rattle
until the Akita walked right by me going directly toward the snake.
Evaluated or not I quickly grabbed a handful of skin on her right side
and pulled her back and away. Luckily she didn't snap or even get
annoyed. She acted like she had done something wrong and I was punishing
her. The next night I took the shotgun down and found him in the same
spot but not coiled. Poor guy never had the chance.

The second time I had no flashlight at all and I was calling our cat. I
meow very loud and she answers me, usually off into the woods. I was
walking toward her as she climbed the chain link and dropped down to the
ground. Right then the big one coiled up and the rattles were going
off. The cat was on the other side of this snake but I couldn't do
anything but hope the cat would not be curious. I went back for a
flashlight (a bright one) and the shotgun. When I got back the snake
was still coiled and the cat was somewhere else.

> My mother grew up in Thailand, where there are several small and large
> creepy critters (she doesn't ride a bicycle because of a crocodile
> encounter, but that's another story), and once my grandfather shot a
> coral snake on her bed while she was still in it! (it had slithered
> up a tree and into her window).
>
> - --
> Melissa

Mon o Man o Man. I would be scared to death around there. I talked about
the elephant we scared in South Africa hut there were other tense
moments. Like driving at night and seeing a "Hippo crossing road" sign.
We thought it would make a good picture so we got out and like idiots,
went to the sign and I took some pictures of Gabriella beside the sign.
Then we heard some rustling in the weeds off to the side of the road. We
don't know what the heck that was but we jumped back in the care pretty
quick.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> My mother grew up in Thailand, where there are several small and large
> creepy critters (she doesn't ride a bicycle because of a crocodile
> encounter, but that's another story), and once my grandfather shot a
> coral snake on her bed while she was still in it! (it had slithered
> up a tree and into her window).
>
> - --
> Melissa

I just wrote a long message which talked about finding the snakes but it
went bye bye somehow. So this is a short version. :)

I would be scared to death if I knew there were crocs around. I like it
right here in Texas. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Eek! I'm sure glad I live in a place with no poisonous creepy
> crawlers!

To be anal-retentive, NO snake is poisonous. You can eat ALL of them! Some
MUSHROOMS are poisonous (will harm you if ingested), but as far as snakes
go, they have to actually inject the venom into your tissues. :)

crash

boB wrote:
> I would be scared to death if I knew there were crocs around. I like
> it right here in Texas.

Yeah, you got enough to worry about with the armadillos...... d:->))

dallas

"boB"
> Dalli just returned from this years Rattlesnake Roundup.

Well, not really... :)

But I was in the desert... Santa Fe, NM. Funny story, Santa Fe is a real
artsy fartsy, midlife hippie, Southwestern Cuisine, earth shoe wearin' kinda
place. (Lawn Dart would be right at home :) The restaurants compete with
each other for weird menus.

This was the most normal entrée on the menu on our last night:

Kale and eggplant, goat cheese, blue corn enchiladas in tomatillo sauce.

It wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten.

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:

> "boB"
>
>>Dalli just returned from this years Rattlesnake Roundup.
>

> Well, not really... :)
>
> But I was in the desert... Santa Fe, NM. Funny story, Santa Fe is a real
> artsy fartsy, midlife hippie, Southwestern Cuisine, earth shoe wearin' kinda
> place. (Lawn Dart would be right at home :) The restaurants compete with
> each other for weird menus.

With one of my wives I owned 30 Acres just north of Las Vegas NM, just
off the lake. Lost that too. :)

Off topic: Just for those interested in pets

Talking about rattlesnakes, Gabriella found the page I started (and
never finished) showing the Akita That I grabbed her by the skin pulling
her away from the snake. You can see her head is bigger than mine. I was
lucky she was a sweetheart and didn't snap.

She went to a home where the lady was terminal ill and confined to the
bed. In the pictures of Keesha here when we visited the lady got worried
that we were going to take Keesha back. Keesha stayed right beside her
until she passed away.

http://tinyurl.com/476mk

And last week we received an email about an Akita in a Kentucky shelter
needing a home and was running out of time. Last night the volunteer
searching like crazy for somewhere Sadie could go gave up and Sadie was
going to be PTS. We told her we would take Sadie in and they are trying
to get a travel package together. I have sent a white Akita to Alabama
like this where people along the route drive the dog to the next person
so each leg is about 100 miles. As soon as they get the people together
to move the dog here we'll get her. The longest distance we took a dog
in was a blind Akita in a Maryland shelter. 2000 miles away. As soon as
we told them we would take her is the shelter volunteer put KellySue on
a plane and flew with her to Austin where we took her. It took 1 1/2
years to find her a home but she's in a wonderful family in Waxahatchie
Texas. (Dalli can correct the spelling, it's near Dallas)

Sadie, the Akita we have coming here:
She doesn't look very healthy and is Heartworm Positive but she will
look much better when she is here a while.

http://xs19.xs.to/pics/05102/sadie02.jpg

KellySue, blind Akita from Maryland. There are a couple dogs on the
page showing the blind dog hoop but you will know they aren't Akitas

http://tinyurl.com/43nvu

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> It's been several months now, and still my cat will now and again
> investigate the "secret spots" where the kittens liked to hide. He's
> still thinking about them; and so am I.
>
> - --
> Melissa

Ain't animals great. I like our pack better than some humans I know. I'm
glad you found the kittens before something bad happened.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Lawn Dart wrote:

> I have encountered some rattlesnakes in eastern WA and in the deserts
> of the southwest, but happily, if they weren't just sleeping in the
> sun, they seemed at least as interested in getting out of my way as I
> was in getting out of theirs! :)
>
> My mother grew up in Thailand, where there are several small and large
> creepy critters (she doesn't ride a bicycle because of a crocodile
> encounter, but that's another story), and once my grandfather shot a
> coral snake on her bed while she was still in it! (it had slithered
> up a tree and into her window).

AAKKK Rattlesnakes will run (well, crawl) away if given the chance but
the dogs won't let them. So I'm sure the dogs would be bitten. There
are several garden type snakes here and after I looked them up to make
sure they were non-poisonous I took them into the woods out behind us
and let them loose. Even the Dam frogs. They hibernate under rocks and
when warm weather sets in they all want to jump in the pool. I take them
back to the woods also. Gabriella won't touch them at all. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)