What Gates and Jobs Really Think of Each Other

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Steve Jobs said:
"If you say, well, how do you feel about Bill Gates getting rich off some of the ideas that we had ... well, you know, the goal is not to be the richest man in the cemetery. It's not my goal anyway."

Although it was said in '94, it's not Bill's goal either. Bill is trying to be the 21st Century Carnegie. Bill has said that he plans to leave, at most, 3% of his fortune to his kids (which is still pretty huge when you think about it) while the rest is used for charity in perpetuity.

Nightskeeter

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]Jane, your articles are my favorite on Tom's. Keep it up![/citation]

Id have to agree to the max power.

Mr parrish and whoever that other guy is bores me to death with most of the crap they post just to post.

You should be promoted Mrs!

Keep up the solid work. And have a lovely day.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
At first when I read this, I started to think that maybe Gates is a much better person than Jobs is morally. But now I realize that it is a lot easier to be nice when you're winning.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Nightskeeter[/nom]Id have to agree to the max power.Mr parrish and whoever that other guy is bores me to death with most of the crap they post just to post.You should be promoted Mrs!Keep up the solid work. And have a lovely day.[/citation]

I appreciate the compliments but both Kevin and Marcus are my friends. Marcus in particular, actually (he'd be "that other guy"). Try and be nice!

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Nightskeeter[/nom]Id have to agree to the max power.Mr parrish and whoever that other guy is bores me to death with most of the crap they post just to post.You should be promoted Mrs!Keep up the solid work. And have a lovely day.[/citation]
Wait, what other guy? Is there someone else around here that we don't know about?

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Wait, what other guy? Is there someone else around here that we don't know about?[/citation]
Oh lol... I honestly think all of you are great. I come back to Tom's again and again to read what you guys write, as well as the comments by other posters. The community here never fails to make me laugh, whether it be at a misspelled insult by a passing troll, or just a fun article full of silly comments like this. Don't ever let the trolls get you down, you guys all rock. :D

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]Oh lol... I honestly think all of you are great. I come back to Tom's again and again to read what you guys write, as well as the comments by other posters. The community here never fails to make me laugh, whether it be at a misspelled insult by a passing troll, or just a fun article full of silly comments like this. Don't ever let the trolls get you down, you guys all rock.[/citation]

Aren't you nice! :)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Better to be insulted than to be ignored.

Most of the time people are rude and nasty, it is about them, not about you. Constructive criticism is different, but, most of it does not fall into that category. I would not take it too personally.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The real question is what do these men do with their money?

Bill Gates use them for charity - medical research, providing medication, grants for education, and education reforms.

Steve Jobs use them for buying a piece of liver from a 16 year old.

I think it's pretty clear what I think of either guys.

BTW, that Napoleon-wannabe must be an Apple fanboi.

G

"Although it was said in '94, it's not Bill's goal either. Bill is trying to be the 21st Century Carnegie. Bill has said that he plans to leave, at most, 3% of his fortune to his kids (which is still pretty huge when you think about it) while the rest is used for charity in perpetuity."

Actually that's not how the Gates Foundation is structured. There is a expiration date on the Foundation. Once Bill and Melinda Gates pass away, the Foundation will give away all of it's money within 50 years of their deaths. So it will not be around forever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_&_Melinda_Gates_Foundation#Lifespan

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Ha Ha Ha, i guerantee it that these guy's are probably sending txt messages everyday to each
other. Probably goes something like this " Jobs, how many millions you make this week?" " Hi
Buddy, 2.5 Mil, but not as much as you" " No problem my friend, i'll buy you lunch on Friday, how's
steak and Lobster sound?" Bill thanks for the offer but i already have plans." " Steve what you guys up
to next week?" " Bill, the same as last week and the week before, were going to keep playing the game
till the money stop's rolling in." Steve, don't you ever get tired of counting new money?" Bill, "Nope".

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]I would have liked to see some more recent quotes from both of them. And they definitely paint Jobs as quite a jerk; I'm not thoroughly convinced yet, but I have my suspicions that he may very well be..[/citation]

well, there's no way Jobs could compete with "I'm going to cure the world malaria problem with lollies!"

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Look at the guy in the white dress shirt with the funny curled upper lip. lol.

On topic, I like Bill better than Steve. Mr. Gates seems to be a lot more laid back than Mr. Jobs. Mr. Jobs is good at marketing though, I'll give him that. He should become Justin Bieber or the Jonas Brothers' manager because then 100% of all 13 year old girls would buy their music.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]CSo if I tell you that your article rocks.. then that is constructive? I called it the way I saw it, a stir the pot article. You cherry pick quotes that depict Bill as a saint and Jobs as an asshole. If you are going to write articles like this then realize not everyone will see your perspective.[/citation]

Do you have any quotes from Bill Gates where he is so blunt and offensive as the ones from Steve Jobs? I've never really heard him say many things out of anger, jealousy, or negativity in general. If you have some ugly quotes from him, I'd surely like to see them.

"Microsoft has had two goals in the last 10 years. One was to copy the Mac, and the other was to copy Lotus' success in the spreadsheet — basically, the applications business. And over the course of the last 10 years, Microsoft accomplished both of those goals. And now they are completely lost."
Steve Jobs (1994)

Snicker. Let's see. Apple ripped off the user interface (complete to the one button mouse and paper white display) of the Xerox Star project at PARC.

And lest we forget, Lotus ripped off Visicalc, then complained mightily about Quattro Pro.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why would someone bad two devices from one's home/family, unless they feared them? Seems like Bill is really worried. But then again, what does Bill do these days ... nothing!! Mr. Ballmer is in charge and has moved most of the staff offshore, cause it's ... drum roll ... cheap!!! ... and it shows!

At least Steve Jobs has kept the think tank (designs) in the US, don't really care where stuff is assembled, that's grunt work.

IE 57% market share, not looking good for Microsoft. Home computer use, again about 50% Microsoft. The only winner Microsoft currently own is the Business market, large boring corporations like Banks... get the picture now you Windows fan boys?

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Nice job Jeannie... all wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies'll love you, getting the fuzzy feeling of how good billy boy is, and what a jerk stevie (apple's one, not the m$'s Frankenstein monkey) is.
Funny, how most fankiddies buy the myth of billy boy and it's "charity" foundation. He's getting in almost every modern big scale shady bu$iness, from patent trolling to government officials bribing. Not to forget the heavy involvement in the GMO, vaccine, and AGW scams.
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]Apple ripped off the user interface (complete to the one button mouse and paper white display) of the Xerox Star project at PARC.[/citation]
And billy boy started it's DOS career ripping off SPC (for lousy 75 kilobucks) for Tim Paterson's "original" work (more or less a CP/M ripoff) . All was settled later out of court, for 1 megabuck.
At least Apple paid to borrow the GUI from Xerox... which got in exchange the option to buy 100.000 preferential 10 buck Apple shares.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]So if I tell you that your article rocks.. then that is constructive? I called it the way I saw it, a stir the pot article. You cherry pick quotes that depict Bill as a saint and Jobs as an asshole. If you are going to write articles like this then realize not everyone will see your perspective.[/citation]

Have you ever heard of constructive criticism? Good, now have you heard of constructive compliments? Less common...

This was constructive, though. Thanks for taking the time to detail what you were talking about in your earlier comment.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
The reason why Bill Gates has more money than Steve Jobs is because Gates knows how to listen... Unfortunately, Steve Jobs enjoys listening to himself talk just a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.