What Gates and Jobs Really Think of Each Other

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Have you ever heard of constructive criticism? Good, now have you heard of constructive compliments? Less common...This was constructive, though. Thanks for taking the time to detail what you were talking about in your earlier comment.[/citation]

Jane, I think you're getting too defensive. That was directed at the guy who was saying to you that you made it sound one-sided with regards to their dispositions. I was making the point that Gates rarely said caustic things, and that was probably why.

In other words, I was defending your position, not asking you to artificially find offensive remarks from Gates so you can sound even-handed.

I really do not know what your remarks mean with regards to constructive criticism or compliments. It's like we're in a conversation about cats, and you mention you think Pluto and Charon should be married and termed a "co-dwarf planet" or something. I'm lost.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]BTW, that Napoleon-wannabe must be an Apple fanboi.[/citation]
Sigh, I stick my neck out for the crew at TH and this is what I get. I read here because IT'S FUNNY!!! and I ENJOY IT!!! I relax with my coffee and watch the trolls and zombies and fanboys as they bumble about in the forums and news articles. I've never been called a fanboy before, but if I am one then it'd probably be for TH, Anandtech, and MaximumPC, not some particular brand loyalty.

I use Windows because I grew up with it, I love Mass Effect 2, I play with my Hackintosh because I BOUGHT ME2 WITH REAL MONEY AND NOW I'M POOR! I've never understood why we can't use both! Is there a law that says I can only use one technology or one brand of electronics? I'm here to learn about computers, why would anyone choose one over the other when they could be fluent in both?

Gates and Jobs are both interesting people, Jobs is full of himself though, and I can't help but wonder if he was on crack when he decided to put the iPhone OS on the iPad...

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]Nice job Jeannie... all wintarded micro$uxx fankiddies'll love you, getting the fuzzy feeling of how good billy boy is, and what a jerk stevie (apple's one, not the m$'s Frankenstein monkey) is.Funny, how most fankiddies buy the myth of billy boy and it's "charity" foundation. He's getting in almost every modern big scale shady bu$iness, from patent trolling to government officials bribing. Not to forget the heavy involvement in the GMO, vaccine, and AGW scams.
And billy boy started it's DOS career ripping off SPC (for lousy 75 kilobucks) for Tim Paterson's "original" work (more or less a CP/M ripoff) . All was settled later out of court, for 1 megabuck.At least Apple paid to borrow the GUI from Xerox... which got in exchange the option to buy 100.000 preferential 10 buck Apple shares.[/citation]

Learn your history Ossie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

Xerox tried to sue Apple, but statue of limitation had expired and the court system slapped down Apple as well (saying you can't copyright a general look, only a specific look). Likewise, Apple had offered the preferred stock to the Xerox board members (not Xerox corp) before they got to look at PARC.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Learn your history Ossie: Xerox tried to sue Apple, but statue of limitation had expired and the court system slapped down Apple as well (saying you can't copyright a general look, only a specific look). Likewise, Apple had offered the preferred stock to the Xerox board members (not Xerox corp) before they got to look at PARC.[/citation]

And for some reason, the link didn't post, anyway, posting link again: Apple vs. Microsoft on GUI

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Jane, I think you're getting too defensive. That was directed at the guy who was saying to you that you made it sound one-sided with regards to their dispositions. I was making the point that Gates rarely said caustic things, and that was probably why. In other words, I was defending your position, not asking you to artificially find offensive remarks from Gates so you can sound even-handed.I really do not know what your remarks mean with regards to constructive criticism or compliments. It's like we're in a conversation about cats, and you mention you think Pluto and Charon should be married and termed a "co-dwarf planet" or something. I'm lost.[/citation]

Sigh, I must have quoted the wrong person. I was quoting etichi. He said this:

So if I tell you that your article rocks.. then that is constructive? I called it the way I saw it, a stir the pot article. You cherry pick quotes that depict Bill as a saint and Jobs as an asshole. If you are going to write articles like this then realize not everyone will see your perspective.

Have fixed the comment and really sorry for the confusion.

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
At the end of the day, Job's has followed Gates down the path of mediocre products and the Apple fan base are always being screwed over in the end. I have learned to avoid a love of any product or company, i go with the most cost effective performing companies of which Apple and Microsoft are not.

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
At the end of the day, Job's has followed Gates down the path of mediocre products and the Apple fan base are always being screwed over in the end. I have learned to avoid a love of any product or company, i go with the most cost effective performing companies of which Apple and Microsoft are not.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
The closest thing to collaboration between MS and Apple is a joint foundation by Bill and Steve.

Oh, wait.. there's no "DONATE" in Apple's dictionary.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Learn your history Ossie: Xerox tried to sue Apple, but statue of limitation had expired and the court system slapped down Apple as well (saying you can't copyright a general look, only a specific look). Likewise, Apple had offered the preferred stock to the Xerox board members (not Xerox corp) before they got to look at PARC.[/citation]
You mix it up... Xerox' case was dismissed as having no merit, by statute (not statue ;) ) of limitation period expiration. The case didn't got any further.
The apple vs. m$ case was about windblow$ 2.0 (and later 3.0), and was dismissed because m$ licensed earlier parts of the GUI from apple for windblow$ 1.0 (in exchange for m$ supporting the mac with further office releases), and the court considered this license was also extended to next versions, due to apple neglecting to explicitly limit it to windblow$ 1.0. The ruling was practically a sidestep from the matter of copyright infringement, the court not intending to set a legal precedent.

If you like wikipedia so much, read the whole sentence: "Xerox had invested in Apple (ie, Apple had given Xerox Board members stock in exchange for access to the research performed at PARC)..." nitpicking semantics...
While apple's IPO was in December '80, the visit at PARC was in '79, so practically it was only a promise at that moment, Jobs had nothing to "give" away. Both parties seemed to be satisfied with the deal, as Xerox didn't sue Apple when the Mac was released, but "suddenly remembered" the issue 5 years later... when some greedy execs smelled blood.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The negative comments thrown were on Microsoft and Apple as corporate entities and not targeted on any specific person. Both seem to have a high regard for each other.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I use mac and pc and i don't mind either but jobs vs gates as a man i like gates 10 times more. ps: also use linux and i like it a fair bit more then both of them but the program compatibility for me kills it haha

Status
Not open for further replies.