[SOLVED] What GPU replacement

Aug 25, 2019
My GPU is dying (random shutdowns in game/freezing) i'm thinking....I have a 6 year old build AMD RADEON R9 290X, mother board GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AMD 990FX SLI/CROSSFIRE DDR3 USB3 SATA3 AM3+, what can I replace this with either something equal or better? thanks guys

Solution
The only ones I'd have outright confidence in would be guys like Maingear or NZXT's "BLD" service.
With them, you do pay a bit of a premium vs CyberPower or iBuyPower et al, who's entire 'game' is volume, not necessarily quality.

With those, you'd probably be spending $1800-$2200 range for a 9900K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, 2070Super config (just a guess), but you can select from quality components everywhere along the chain.

However, with the CyberPower one I linked at $1,750 + maybe $60 for a PSU and <$100 for a cooler, you'd come out cheaper and have a 2080Super.......but by the time you can replace a PSU and CPU cooler, you'd pretty much know how to build a PC, which defeats the purpose of buying a prebuilt.

To give you a rough idea...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please post your full system specs...

I wouldn't write the card off immediately - at least, not without knowing the troubleshooting you've already performed. For 1080p, a 290X is still a plenty respectable card.

A 290X performs in the same general ballpark as a 3GB 1060... So anything stronger is, well, stronger.

As far as recommendations go, it depends on your budget and the balance of your hardware..

With an FX8350/8370 at best, that's likely going to limit you a bit... Still decent enough, and should pair fairly well with mainstream cards, just don't expect to see 100% of the numbers you'll see in benchmarks as the weaker FX chip will limit performance some.

Value-wise these days, I'd look to a 1660Super (in the $235 range), 1660TI (in the $255 range) or an RX5700 for ($320).

They all represent a pretty good performance per dollar, and will outperform your 290X.... but still, if you can revive the 290X, it's still got some legs...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.4GHZ (4.7GHZ TURBO) 8-CORE AM3+....liquid cooled.....800w power....(a cyberpower pc build)….I am getting freezing and radom rebooting

why does the mother board limit me?

it's either find the problem with this one or build a new one.....so price is not an option really at the moment

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Random rebooting is almost never a GPU issue. Especially just outright rebooting and no BSODs.
Power, power delivery or temperatures are much, much more likely.

why does the mother board limit me?

When I responded, it was limiting your to a dated socket/architecture.
Now that you've shared what your CPU is specifically, it limits you even more.

The 9370 and 9590 were just factory overclocked chips, that were already overclocked older chips.
TDP on a 9370 is ~220W, and the power delivery on that board really isn't up to the task.... Especially long-term.
You'll see, the 9370 doesn't appear on the supported CPU list.... for a reason: It's TDP is almost double the previous chips.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-10/support#support-cpu

You're in a tough spot there, honestly. Investing in an older board, than can run the 9370 stable won't be cheap.... But equally, a full on CPU/MB/RAM replacement isn't particularly cheap either.

Given what you've shared now.... The GPU is probably the least problematic component.
Rather than replacing the GPU, or even the motherboard, I'd give serious consideration to a new platform and reuse the 290X.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $259.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 09:13 EST-0500

I'm assuming you'd also need to replace the PSU, I don't know what CyberPower put in there.

That's using the older 2600, which will likely be a little cheaper on BlackFriday.... you could look to 3rd Gen (3600 or 3600X), but that would add maybe ~$150 to the overall cost on the CPU/MB and faster RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $413.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 09:15 EST-0500

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly, building your own isn't difficult at all. It's glorified lego for adults. I would highly recommend giving it a go.

However, I can appreciate not being comfortable building. It's not for everyone.
With that, I would suggest staying away from CyberPower, iBuyPower and the like. Their prices sound good, but once you get into the nitty gritty, they cut corners on motherboards, PSUs etc or really underwhelming coolers.

You don't have any control over those components and, while they should certainly "work" initially, they may not be adequate for long term use in all situations, nor truly fit for purpose.

That specific system doesn't look too bad at all. I'd be budgeting for a better quality PSU and a better CPU cooler if you want to overclock. You might luck out and the PSU it ships with could be 'good'.... but I wouldn't hold my breath. The CPU cooler is a basic 120mm AIO... which is far from ideal for a 9900K.

Depending on what you're looking to spend, this one actually looks like a pretty good deal (relatively speaking) too:
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Ready-To-Ship-GAMER-SUPREME-ET9917

PRetty much the same setup, but you get a 2080 Super opposed to a 2070Super. Retail-wise there's about a $200 to maybe $250 price delta... Yet they're charging roughly $130. Of course there are other tweaks here & there too, but very very similar overall.

Aug 25, 2019
Honestly, building your own isn't difficult at all. It's glorified lego for adults. I would highly recommend giving it a go.

However, I can appreciate not being comfortable building. It's not for everyone.
With that, I would suggest staying away from CyberPower, iBuyPower and the like. Their prices sound good, but once you get into the nitty gritty, they cut corners on motherboards, PSUs etc or really underwhelming coolers.

You don't have any control over those components and, while they should certainly "work" initially, they may not be adequate for long term use in all situations, nor truly fit for purpose.

That specific system doesn't look too bad at all. I'd be budgeting for a better quality PSU and a better CPU cooler if you want to overclock. You might luck out and the PSU it ships with could be 'good'.... but I wouldn't hold my breath. The CPU cooler is a basic 120mm AIO... which is far from ideal for a 9900K.

Depending on what you're looking to spend, this one actually looks like a pretty good deal (relatively speaking) too:
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Ready-To-Ship-GAMER-SUPREME-ET9917

PRetty much the same setup, but you get a 2080 Super opposed to a 2070Super. Retail-wise there's about a $200 to maybe $250 price delta... Yet they're charging roughly $130. Of course there are other tweaks here & there too, but very very similar overall.
would it be best to start with a mother board and build around that? that's where my bottle neck is (the motherboard) I know I wan i9-9900k and at least rtx 2070 super (i'm going to be running VR, my current setup just isn't up to the task)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In your current setup, the motherboard cannot reliably allow your CPU to perform to it's 'max'.
Ultimately though, in 2019/2020, any FX chip is pretty underwhelming by modern standards.

You're on the right track: Determine the platform (Intel or AMD, and a specific CPU if you know already) and GPU, then work around that. The upper end of the FX chips were a complete outlier. Modern CPUs will work just fine at stock speeds/boosts on any compatible chipset - so for a 9900K, you're looking at Z390 for out of the box compatibility.

Where power delivery can come into play, is overclocking. Even pegging a 9900K to 5GHz on all cores can be tougher on one Z390 board vs another.

As an aside, keep an eye out for 9900KS (A 9900K @ 5GHz all core out of the box, no integrated graphics) and 9900KF (9900K, no integrated graphics). Might be better prices on those.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The only ones I'd have outright confidence in would be guys like Maingear or NZXT's "BLD" service.
With them, you do pay a bit of a premium vs CyberPower or iBuyPower et al, who's entire 'game' is volume, not necessarily quality.

With those, you'd probably be spending $1800-$2200 range for a 9900K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, 2070Super config (just a guess), but you can select from quality components everywhere along the chain.

However, with the CyberPower one I linked at $1,750 + maybe $60 for a PSU and <$100 for a cooler, you'd come out cheaper and have a 2080Super.......but by the time you can replace a PSU and CPU cooler, you'd pretty much know how to build a PC, which defeats the purpose of buying a prebuilt.

To give you a rough idea of what you could do if you were to build yourself:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($468.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 360 74.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 STEEL LEGEND ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($689.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 55 ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1628.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 14:43 EST-0500

Solution