[SOLVED] What GPU should i get for my rig and should i change some parts?

theruskaz

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
I've been looking forward to buying parts for a new gaming rig and i need your help deciding if i should buy these. And most importantly what GPU should i get? Im planning to play on atleast 1080p 75fps+ on high to ultra settings.

These are the parts i'm planning to buy:

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG

Fans: 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax

PSU: Seasonic 650w FOCUS+ Gold

Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000 mhz 2x8GB

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports One

Thermal paste: Noctua NT-H1

And for storage i have my old PC's HDD and SSD.

Any recommendations on a GPU and should i change any of the parts?

Solution
You could use pretty much any GPU card you wanted with that build. The only concern I have with any of your parts selection is the Arctic freezer 33. Arctic freezer makes cheap coolers, not good coolers, at least and especially at the lower end of what they offer.

Certainly it will WORK, and is probably at least as good as the stock cooler, maybe a little better, but it's not a cooler worth over 20 bucks in my opinion when you can get a Gammaxx 400 for less that works better.

If you plan to overclock, it's definitely not a good choice. Any of these coolers would be much better options, even though they are a little more expensive in some cases. All are AM4 compatible...
You could use pretty much any GPU card you wanted with that build. The only concern I have with any of your parts selection is the Arctic freezer 33. Arctic freezer makes cheap coolers, not good coolers, at least and especially at the lower end of what they offer.

Certainly it will WORK, and is probably at least as good as the stock cooler, maybe a little better, but it's not a cooler worth over 20 bucks in my opinion when you can get a Gammaxx 400 for less that works better.

If you plan to overclock, it's definitely not a good choice. Any of these coolers would be much better options, even though they are a little more expensive in some cases. All are AM4 compatible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/c...sort=price&H=135000000,172000000&X=3500,27999

How much do you want to invest in a graphics card, what resolution are you planning to use and what kind of in game settings are you expecting or wanting to get?

Also, I LIKE the Noctua NT-H1 thermal interface material, however, the Thermal grizzly Kryonaught is much better. Or, Noctua has just released the NT-H2 paste, which I have not tried yet, but which is supposed to be a little better than the older first gen paste, so if you want the Noctua paste you might consider that instead. If neither of those are available to you or are significantly more expensive, then the NT-H1 will work fine as I've used it on maybe fifty to 75 mount jobs with good results.

Last edited:
Solution

theruskaz

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019

If you plan to overclock, it's definitely not a good choice. Any of these coolers would be much better options, even though they are a little more expensive in some cases. All are AM4 compatible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/c...sort=price&H=135000000,172000000&X=3500,27999

How much do you want to invest in a graphics card, what resolution are you planning to use and what kind of in game settings are you expecting or wanting to get?

Also, I LIKE the Noctua NT-H1 thermal interface material, however, the Thermal grizzly Kryonaught is much better. Or, Noctua has just released the NT-H2 paste, which I have not tried yet, but which is supposed to be a little better than the older first gen paste, so if you want the Noctua paste you might consider that instead. If neither of those are available to you or are significantly more expensive, then the NT-H1 will work fine as I've used it on maybe fifty to 75 mount jobs with good results.

Thanks for the reply. I think i'll get a Meshify S2, some AIO cooler and Kryonaut thermal paste.

Most of the 240mm and 280mm Corsair, Deepcool, EVGA and NZXT AIO coolers are very good. Anything smaller than a 240mm and you might as well just use a 40 dollar air cooler. If you don't want to use a liquid cooler, there are a lot of air coolers that work just as well and are generally less expensive than most worthwhile AIO coolers. At the budget end of things, the ID Cooling AIO coolers work very well and are a lot less expensive.

theruskaz

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
If you're still looking for recommendations on the graphics card, it would be helpful if you answered my original question regarding how much you want to spend on that?

Sorry for that, i didn't remember i left you hanging. I'll probably get a RTX 2060 and i won't respond to any other comments (unless they are worth responding). I will probably read them tho.