What graphics card to buy for replacement?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

erik8thw

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013
I've been using Asus GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 for 3 years and it is dying due to white lines appearance on screen. What graphics card to buy for replacement? My budget is under $230.

Solution
Yes to the cooler q's. You'll run quieter and colder. As for the fps... You can set the cpu to render as many frames as you want, however, it's wasted effort if the monitor maxes out at 60 fps. To that point, I think that any quality, moderately priced monitor that has over 120fps refresh will make your gaming experience better. Remember to match freesync with amd gpu's and gsync with NVidia gpu's.

erik8thw

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013

Yes for desktop because it looks good for my eyes. Maybe I switch to 1080p for gaming.

jwcrellin

Reputable

Adaptive refresh works to smooth out frames within a range, usually 50-90..

erik8thw

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013
Keep in mind that CPU is usually limiting factor for such high refresh rates. With your CPU I would not expect your FPS to keep up with 144Hz.
My Intel stock cooler doesn't make loud noise when I set 'Limit FPS' to 60, 70, 90 like that in Overwatch. But when I set 'Limit FPS' to 120, 140, 300 like that in Overwatch, it started to make loud noise after few minutes. Is i5-3470 bottlenecking my Asus GTX 670 previously? Or Intel stock cooler problem?

Yes, it's certainly working much harder to keep up, which is making more heat, making the fans spin faster, and louder. Normal stuff.

erik8thw

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013

Does changing my Intel stock cooler to aftermarket cooler help to reduce heat, make fan spin slower, and quieter?

erik8thw

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2013

Does changing my Intel stock cooler to aftermarket cooler help to reduce heat, make fan spin slower, and quieter? Do I really need to change my monitor to Freesync or Gsync monitor? Why don't I just turn off Vsync and set 'Limit FPS' to 300 when playing Overwatch? Can I just ignore screen tearing like this?

jwcrellin

Reputable
Yes to the cooler q's. You'll run quieter and colder. As for the fps... You can set the cpu to render as many frames as you want, however, it's wasted effort if the monitor maxes out at 60 fps. To that point, I think that any quality, moderately priced monitor that has over 120fps refresh will make your gaming experience better. Remember to match freesync with amd gpu's and gsync with NVidia gpu's.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS