[SOLVED] What graphics card would fit on my motherboard?

Apr 18, 2020
Motherboard is a IPM17-DD, I was wondering if I can run a Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 in it and I was wondering if this motherboard could also handle a 500W Power Supply. Currently it has a HP 759045-001 300W Power Supply. It has a 3.4 GHz Processor and 12GB Ram, Intel HD 530 integrated graphics. it's a HP Pavilion.

20210113-220815.jpg
20210114-103917.jpg

Solution
The motherboard has a x16 slot, so will physically accept any PCIe GPU. BIOS limitations in an OEM system may prevent it from being functional though.... It would be best to locate reports online of people successfully using X, Y or Z GPU in that system before purchasing.

The PSU only has 192W available on the 12V at best.... and rails don't scale like that, so you likely have <175W, combined..... when the system was new, and it's far from it.

The PSU is going to be the limiting factor on any 'upgrade' here.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The motherboard has a x16 slot, so will physically accept any PCIe GPU. BIOS limitations in an OEM system may prevent it from being functional though.... It would be best to locate reports online of people successfully using X, Y or Z GPU in that system before purchasing.

The PSU only has 192W available on the 12V at best.... and rails don't scale like that, so you likely have <175W, combined..... when the system was new, and it's far from it.

The PSU is going to be the limiting factor on any 'upgrade' here.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Right that's why I was wondering if the motherboard could handle a 500W PSU

A motherboard will "handle" another PSU, provided connectors are not a concern. Some OEM boards use proprietary connectors.

As far as I can tell, it uses a standard ATX 24pin and 4pin EPS, so any 'off the shelf' PSU could work.

Of course, a "500W" PSU does not equal any other 500W PSU. Quality matters, and will depend on the specific PSUs you're considering.