What if I use memory that is too fast for my CPU?

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I have an i7 6700k and plan to use 3200mhz memory. I heard that that can be too fast for the cpu. If I set that speed in the bios and enable it, what will happen? If it is too fast and it like crashes the PC how can I fix it?
Thanks

Solution
Some 6700Ks can handle 3200 while at stock others need a bit of help. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and give it a try by enabling XMP, profile 1. If no joy, back to BIOS and enable XMP again then change the DRAM voltage to 1.4 and try> Still no joy, do the same and raise the VCCIO up + 0.05. If still no joy will need a small OC to run at 3200, try setting the CPU multiplier to 42 and add to the CPU voltage, try a positive offset of + 0.10 and see. If problems we can also try running at 2800 or a different data rate. I've run a number of 3200 and up sets on my Hero/6600K

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
what happens when you drive a racecar during traffic? you are limited to the speed limit. the CPU determines the memory speed limit. the memory will only run as fast as the memory controller on the CPU will allow. running the memory controller in the CPU at the higher speeds (overclocking) can damage the chip.

the RAM will happily run at the lower speed, just like a racecar in traffic. if you are having issues return the memory clock to stock.

Jasjar

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
R_1 is wrong the CPU does support 3200mhz memory. What motherboard do you have? If you don't have motherboard with a z10 chipset then the ram will be downclocked to 2133. If you have a z10 chipset then it will work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends a lot on the motherboard, B150, H170 generally support only 2133MHz. Z170 motherboards can vary, some cheaper boards only support upto 3000MHz, most go to 3200MHz. However, if you look at the motherboard specs, you'll see the any ram 2400 and above will have (oc) next to it. Imho, this has 2x meanings. First, your ram will default to 2133MHz, and you will have to set an XMP profile for the higher frequency, in effect overclocking the ram with a factory set OC. Second, because newer Intel cpu's have the memory controller built into the cpu, you will more than likely need to OC the cpu to get stable performance from any of the higher frequency xmp settings.

Having 3200MHz ram doesn't mean it has to run only 3200MHz, it'll run anything less just fine, it's the same ram as 2133MHz ram except the factory certifies that it will OC to 3200MHz and be stable, whereas 2133MHz ram might only get to 2400MHz with a user OC, no XMP, so if you don't want to OC the 6700k right now, running the 3200MHz ram at 2400MHz would be just fine, you can bump it up to full speed when and if you do OC the cpu.

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

I have an Asus Maximus Viii Hero, and the ram states that its stock clock is 3200mhz.
If the CPU needs to be overclocked to support the fast RAM and I don't, will the system just crash when I set it to 3200? How do I fix it if it does crash?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Some 6700Ks can handle 3200 while at stock others need a bit of help. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and give it a try by enabling XMP, profile 1. If no joy, back to BIOS and enable XMP again then change the DRAM voltage to 1.4 and try> Still no joy, do the same and raise the VCCIO up + 0.05. If still no joy will need a small OC to run at 3200, try setting the CPU multiplier to 42 and add to the CPU voltage, try a positive offset of + 0.10 and see. If problems we can also try running at 2800 or a different data rate. I've run a number of 3200 and up sets on my Hero/6600K

Solution

KindaHardcoreGamer

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

I can't find XMP in the bios (I have a maximus 7 hero if that helps), but I can manually set the speed.
Let's say the CPU can't handle that speed. How do I reset it back to what it was before?