What in your opinion is the best Sci-Fi Series of all time?

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
Hi folks, Stevie here!

Ok, first of all, cards on the table, I was raised trekkie.

For me it goes TNG, DS9,V and then the rest (though I hated Enterprise). I also have a soft spot for Farscape which was almost like a low budget Firefly from the UK back in the day. I also love some of the stuff that came out of the UK 60's and 70's so The Avengers, The Prisoner and of course Dr Who.

As far as american shows go, I watched Quantum Leap a lot as a child, and really wanted to get into Stargate but I didn't find it as gripping for some reason.

I know that there is a good argument for DS9 and BSG having the most sophisticated story archs for contempory scifi shows, but in your opinion, what show is your go-to favourite and why?

Engage!

Stevie

D

Deleted member 14196

Babylon 5 and BSG the newer one

Apple is making Foundation a series as well!!! That should be fantastic as I loved the books.

Reactions: sward

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Yea Farscape was awesome, and very bizarre lol... Rygel is one of the funniest fictional characters of all time. Battlestar Galactica (the "remake" if that's the word for it) is also one of my favs. My true favorite is probably The Next Generation. If Firefly had made it past the 12 or so episodes that were made I'd have probably chose it but it was just too short-lived (the movie adaptation ("Serenity") was very good as well).

Does Twilight Zone (the original) count? If so that might actually be my fav, although a very different type of show, leaning more toward fantasy/thriller/etc than sci-fi

Reactions: sward

sward

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
I think certain episodes of TTZ count? And yeah I love firefly, I have the big coffee table book with all the scripts in it. I hope they bring it back one day :)

D

Deleted member 14196

I enjoyed Firefly... lol, was good. oh and RED DWARF, the old 60s and 70s DR WHO, etc.. original remastered Star Trek, those are GOLD

The SciFi Channels production of DUNE was excellent as well. Someone needs to make a DUNE miniseries. one or two seasons is all it would take. Great book and story. So far the SciFi Channel is closest, but I want it faithful to the book in all respects and more detail/story from book--to do the book justice, so to speak

that poop movie that was done for Dune was HORRIBLE. the one with Sting in it... the only thing that one gets right is the sexual nature of that weirdo's fetish for pulling out young boys heart-plugs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamzkang and sward

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
And yeah I love firefly, I have the big coffee table book with all the scripts in it. I hope they bring it back one day :)

Apparently Disney owns the show (purchased or merged or whatever with Fox a while back?), so I guess it's possible they could release something on Disney+ but somehow I don't see it fitting in with their original content lol.... Plus Nathan Fillion (Mal) is busy doing the ABC show "The Rookie".... and Ron Glass died a while back

anotheruser2

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018
Not sure if (UK) Misifts counts as sci-fi?

I wanted The 100 to be good but lost it throughout Season 3.
I have it on my list to keep watching though.

Same with Stargate.
I wanted it to be good, but then it ended up churning out loads of episodes and went all strange with SG1, Atlantis, so I stopped watching after the first few episodes.

I usually wait until there's a few series out before starting.

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
Babylon 5 is good but I am not into sci-fi shows; more of a comedy series person and I have binge watched FRIENDS as many as 10 times and random episodes countless times. So yeah, this is my all-time favorite show. Other than that, I love How I met your mother and The Big Bang Theory as well, Sci-fi are surely not my cup of tea.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I still enjoy the original Star Trek series. Such campy goodness. Some of it's spin offs were quite good and we regularly watch TNG to fall asleep to. Patrick Stewart's voice is very close to Morgan Freeman in that comfort quality.

Firefly and it's companion movie Serenity were quite good.

Enjoyed (some of) the various Stargate spin offs, particularly Atlantis.

Thought that the new(er) Battlestar Galactica had some merit.

Space 1999 was fun as a kid, but tried to go back to watch that and it passed campy into corny.

I like almost anything Sci Fi just so long as they ground it in a certain level of realistic physics OR have a good logic point for WHY that doesn't apply. For instance, Dilithium Crystals....As a side note I also feel the same way about desktop RPG, but that is another thread.

I love most of what's been posted so far.

This one may 'raise some hackles' because it's not the type of 'science fiction' everyone else is posting about but I just remembered it while reading everyone else's posts.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

It's got some of the best cynicism, wit, and deadpan humor I've ever seen.

kanewolf

Titan
I love most of what's been posted so far.

This one may 'raise some hackles' because it's not the type of 'science fiction' everyone else is posting about but I just remembered it while reading everyone else's posts.

Mystery Science Theater 3000.

It's got some of the best cynicism, wit, and deadpan humor I've ever seen.
The MST3K folks do ( pre-COVID did ) live shows. If you get the opportunity to see one, and enjoy MST3K go see a live show. I enjoyed it.

Reactions: alceryes

Frindis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
My favorite would have to be TNG. Great cast and a lot of awesome stories. My favorite characters are Q, Data, and Pickard. Pickard got some of the best personal stories, and one of my all-time favorite episodes would have to be The Inner Light (S5E25). Farscape and Expanse are also quite high up there on the list.