What is a better setup

SuperChil

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I have two 4gb ram sticks, am planning on increasing my memory to 16gb . Should I just get two more 4gb ram sticks or are there any benefits of getting two 8gbs ram sticks instead?

Solution
it's not a matter of deciding whether to go 4x4GB or 2x8GB, instead it is a matter of getting sticks from same brand and model, if you mix models, you could get instability issues. Some are solved by manually setting the latencies of the slowest sticks in the BIOS, but not 100% accurate.

Whether to go 4x4GB or 2x8GB of the same brand and models, there is no noticeable difference in performance, you could get whatever is cheaper.

So, if money is not a problem, I would get 2x8GB and sell the other 2x4GB elsewhere.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
it's not a matter of deciding whether to go 4x4GB or 2x8GB, instead it is a matter of getting sticks from same brand and model, if you mix models, you could get instability issues. Some are solved by manually setting the latencies of the slowest sticks in the BIOS, but not 100% accurate.

Whether to go 4x4GB or 2x8GB of the same brand and models, there is no noticeable difference in performance, you could get whatever is cheaper.

So, if money is not a problem, I would get 2x8GB and sell the other 2x4GB elsewhere.

Solution