Question What is a good and compatible (if any incompatibility is even possible) GPU for Ryzen 5 5600GT on an A520M Motherboard?

Hudson_G

Prominent
Jul 4, 2023
I know the Motherboard is not thaaaaat great, I heard that a B550 would have been so much better, but well, it is what it is.

I'd like to know what is a good GPU upgrade for this config. It's expected that someone with Ryzen 5 5600GT would have it simply because of its iGPU, but I was wondering in case I wanted something better, what would it be. I heard also that it's much better to get a Gen 3.0 than a Gen 4.0 even the latter being from a newer Gen and fitting in Gen 3 slots, but it would get half bandwidth due to limitations, not sure if this is true or not, I just read it somewhere, maybe in an commentary, I don't know. Would like some in-depth opinion about it.

I know the Motherboard is not thaaaaat great, I heard that a B550 would have been so much better, but well, it is what it is.

I'd like to know what is a good GPU upgrade for this config. It's expected that someone with Ryzen 5 5600GT would have it simply because of its iGPU, but I was wondering in case I wanted something better, what would it be. I heard also that it's much better to get a Gen 3.0 than a Gen 4.0 even the latter being from a newer Gen and fitting in Gen 3 slots, but it would get half bandwidth due to limitations, not sure if this is true or not, I just read it somewhere, maybe in an commentary, I don't know. Would like some in-depth opinion about it.
Only reason a GPU with PCIe v3.0 could be "better" is financial because 5600GT has only Gen3/v3.0 PCIe lines so you would have no benefit of Gen4 GPU and that CPU doesn't "deserve" high end GPU. On the other hand, most of newest gen GPUs are actually gen4 so you have to settle for earlier gen GPUs still in production. If you are getting by using IGPU I would suggest any AMD Rx 6600(non-XT) for instance,pricing should be very good by now soneeding it badly or not, I would grab one now while they are still around.

Hudson_G

Prominent
Jul 4, 2023
Only reason a GPU with PCIe v3.0 could be "better" is financial because 5600GT has only Gen3/v3.0 PCIe lines so you would have no benefit of Gen4 GPU and that CPU doesn't "deserve" high end GPU. On the other hand, most of newest gen GPUs are actually gen4 so you have to settle for earlier gen GPUs still in production. If you are getting by using IGPU I would suggest any AMD Rx 6600(non-XT) for instance,pricing should be very good by now soneeding it badly or not, I would grab one now while they are still around.
Right so, my main reason to open this thread was this statement I saw in a YouTube comment:

"5600G is PCI-e 3.0 only. If you haven't bought a GPU yet then focus only on 16x GPUS. Avoid 8x GPU's like the RX6600 / 6600XT / 6650XT / 4060 / 4060ti / 7600 / 7600XT. Shop for RX6700 / 6700XT / 3060 / 3060ti which are all 16x cards. Do NOT be confused with comparisons you have seen unless it was directly showing performance issues running 8x cards on Gen3 systems. PCI-e 3.0 vs 4.0 videos are usually always using 16x cards NOT 8x. Put simply running a modern 8x 4.0 GPU on older 3.0 hardware causes you to halve your bandwidth twice because of the 3.0 and then you halve it again due to the 8x. With 16x cards on older Gen3 systems you only halve your bandwidth once (because Gen3) NOT twice (because it's 16x not 8x). Shop for a 16x card as there are plenty of options in the same price range that are 16x like the 6700 or 3060. 8x cards should be on 4.0 systems like a 5600 / B550. Keep in mind running a 8x GPU like a 6600XT on Gen3 hardware your GPU is like only getting bandwidth equivalent to very old Gen 2.0 PCIe on 16x from like 10yrs ago. Remember most people talking about Gen3 vs Gen4 differences are showing you video cards that have 16x lanes which don't take nearly the performance hit as 8x cards. Don’t purposely buy a 8x card if you are pairing it on Gen3 hardware as there are better 16x options for basically the same price."

I wanted to know if this is a REAL issue or if this is real but not Thaaaaat heavy of disability (like losing only 2 FPs).

Right so, my main reason to open this thread was this statement I saw in a YouTube comment:

"5600G is PCI-e 3.0 only. If you haven't bought a GPU yet then focus only on 16x GPUS. Avoid 8x GPU's like the RX6600 / 6600XT / 6650XT / 4060 / 4060ti / 7600 / 7600XT. Shop for RX6700 / 6700XT / 3060 / 3060ti which are all 16x cards. Do NOT be confused with comparisons you have seen unless it was directly showing performance issues running 8x cards on Gen3 systems. PCI-e 3.0 vs 4.0 videos are usually always using 16x cards NOT 8x. Put simply running a modern 8x 4.0 GPU on older 3.0 hardware causes you to halve your bandwidth twice because of the 3.0 and then you halve it again due to the 8x. With 16x cards on older Gen3 systems you only halve your bandwidth once (because Gen3) NOT twice (because it's 16x not 8x). Shop for a 16x card as there are plenty of options in the same price range that are 16x like the 6700 or 3060. 8x cards should be on 4.0 systems like a 5600 / B550. Keep in mind running a 8x GPU like a 6600XT on Gen3 hardware your GPU is like only getting bandwidth equivalent to very old Gen 2.0 PCIe on 16x from like 10yrs ago. Remember most people talking about Gen3 vs Gen4 differences are showing you video cards that have 16x lanes which don't take nearly the performance hit as 8x cards. Don’t purposely buy a 8x card if you are pairing it on Gen3 hardware as there are better 16x options for basically the same price."

I wanted to know if this is a REAL issue or if this is real but not Thaaaaat heavy of disability (like losing only 2 FPs).
Each PCIe generation doubles data bandwidth of previous one. Only question is how much influence does that have on the performance of particular device plugged into it.
Bandwidth is key word as some devices do not need or use full bandwidth while others may lack it. SSDs for instance always suffered from low bandwidth although chips themselves could run much faster. That's why SATA SSDs are so much slower than NVME M.2 using much faster PCIe bus. Their chips are not much faster but connection to system is, so more data could be exchanged in given time. That's why each NVMMe generation is roughly twice the "speed" of previous one.
Some devices like for instance audio cards, modems or network cards don't benefit from faster PCIe bus because they do not need or can use all that bandwidth. GPUs on other hand can use a lot of bandwidth because they have to communicate with CPU, RAM etc. all the time. At first, GPUs were just mere devices to translate data formed in CPU and rest of system to picture but evolved to do much more calculations on their own, communicating less with rest of the system so even slower/less bandwidth do not affect them much so for most part (specially those with less requirements) can't even saturate PCIe v3.0(gen3) PCIe bus andarenot affected much by it.