What Is AMD FreeSync? FreeSync and FreeSync 2 HDR Explained

Nov 14, 2019
Hi! Thanks for article. I'm working on my new gaming setup and I currently have a Samsung C32HG70 monitor.
I'm considering the 2070s or the rx 5700xt. I know that the 2070s is more powerful than the 5700xt, but Freesync2 will not works with the 2070s.

I play games like Destiny 2, The Division 2, Battlefield, COD, and wondering if I should go with the 5700xt for the HDR Freesync2 and lower FPS or with the 2070s HDR Freesync (without Freesync2) but higher FPS?

Thanks

Dec 15, 2022
Despite the recent date on this article much of the core information here is years out of date!

NVIDIA GPUs as far back as the 10 series can now use both G-Sync and Freesync (which is AMD's brand name for an open standard VRR feature). NVIDIA calls freesync "G-Sync compatible". It can't obviously use AMD's brand name for it.

Since Freesync monitors are both cheaper and work with both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs now, original G-Sync has now lost the standards battle and is effectively obsolete now. Monitors may be marketed as "G-Sync compatible" if they support Freesync. And as mentioned in the article Freesync has the ability to work over HDMI, too.

Dec 15, 2022
Note: by default NVIDIA drivers will disable its GSync compatible support on Freesync monitors unless it's a monitor that has been certified by NVIDIA. But this is just a switch in the driver settings. NVIDIA wants you to doubt that Freesync will work unless it's marked as "G-Sync compatible" but this is just marketing, if a monitor properly supports freesync it should work on NVIDIA.