[SOLVED] What is Bus Interface and how do I lower it ?

mono343

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: 1080 ti
RAM: 8 GB

Hello, I have been trying to troubleshoot my Mount and Blade Warband's high GPU usage and low FPS. I used a program called CPUID HWMonitor to check the temperatures and saw under Utilization that the Bus Interface's value was very high:

IKsmBBJ.png

I would like to know what is it and how to lower it. My other games are running fine like Mortal Kombat 11 and War Thunder.

P.S
If you have any tips to help with the Mount and Blade problem I would appreciate it.

Solution
The system appears to be behaving like it can only use 2GB of VRAM.

Is this a real 1080Ti that you bought new yourself or something you bought used from a random place? If the GPU is of unknown origin, I would start suspecting a fake.

The 1080 ti is legit but your question did led me to take a closer look at it and I downloaded a program called GPU-Z and it allow me to get some extra details on the Bus Interface. Apparently my PCIe was running as a PCIe x 1 instead of a PCIe x 16. Not sure why it didn't affect my other as game as badly as Mount and Blade but open up my computer and took out the GPU, clear some dust and put it in back. That fixed it.
imTTKGW.png

Thank you very much for your time and...

InvalidError

Titan
In HWInfo, "Bus Load" would refer to PCIe traffic and 80% is highly unusual, as is the fact that the GPU reports 100% utilization while almost no memory is in use. Looks like the GPU is processing something from system memory.

My guess is you have a rogue process doing something weird. If you are running a reasonably recent Windows 10 build, add the "GPU utilization" column to the details tab, sort it in descending order and see what uses it.

mono343

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
In HWInfo, "Bus Load" would refer to PCIe traffic and 80% is highly unusual, as is the fact that the GPU reports 100% utilization while almost no memory is in use. Looks like the GPU is processing something from system memory.

My guess is you have a rogue process doing something weird. If you are running a reasonably recent Windows 10 build, add the "GPU utilization" column to the details tab, sort it in descending order and see what uses it.

I open up task manager(That what I think you were referring to) while the game is playing. Went into the Detail tab, I couldn't find GPU utilization so added anything GPU related column.
QW7HPPr.png

Seem Mount and blade is taking up most the GPU but under the other columns, it seem dwm.exe has the higher value. I'm not sure what the K stands for. I would think kbs but not sure honestly.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
The game is running using only 280MB of GPU memory with the game running? Even the most basic 3D games tend to use closer to 1GB these days. That is extremely weird. I just started Dolphin/F-Zero GX just for lols (haven't used it in a while, most lightweight 3D thing I could think of that I had lying somewhere) and even that uses over 700MB of VRAM.

Try a few other games to see if this is a game-specific thing or systemic one. If all games won't use VRAM, something may be wrong with the GPU memory.

mono343

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
The game is running using only 280MB of GPU memory with the game running? Even the most basic 3D games tend to use closer to 1GB these days. That is extremely weird. I just started Dolphin/F-Zero GX just for lols (haven't used it in a while, most lightweight 3D thing I could think of that I had lying somewhere) and even that uses over 700MB of VRAM.

Try a few other games to see if this is a game-specific thing or systemic one. If all games won't use VRAM, something may be wrong with the GPU memory.

Well I tested two games. First one was War thunder.
Task Manager:
MZ0sU22.png

CPUID:
ZhjRiuP.png

Then the second was Fallout New Vegas:
Task Manager:
WoFDPHb.png

CPUID:
jAfSB2J.png

It seems both of them use more more VRAM than Mount and Blade but they are not reaching 100% utilization like Mount and Blade is.

mono343

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
The system appears to be behaving like it can only use 2GB of VRAM.

Is this a real 1080Ti that you bought new yourself or something you bought used from a random place? If the GPU is of unknown origin, I would start suspecting a fake.

The 1080 ti is legit but your question did led me to take a closer look at it and I downloaded a program called GPU-Z and it allow me to get some extra details on the Bus Interface. Apparently my PCIe was running as a PCIe x 1 instead of a PCIe x 16. Not sure why it didn't affect my other as game as badly as Mount and Blade but open up my computer and took out the GPU, clear some dust and put it in back. That fixed it.
imTTKGW.png

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Last edited:
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Bad contact or not quite correct/full insertion into the slot does happen from time to time.

TRENDING THREADS