[SOLVED] What is considered a "good" GPU temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Ideal GPU temperatures range from 65 to 85°C under gaming.
Although they are made to run at 105 degrees Celsius still this GPU temp limit must not be attained at any cost. Because it can decrease lifespan very fast.
If you are playing medium resolution games than acceptable average GPU temp should not exceed 60-65C. In the case of High game resolution, it should not exceed 65-70C.

The average GPU temperature for gaming should remain between 65 degrees Celsius to 75 degrees Celsius. As for Nvidia GPU temp, they have an average temperature of around 70 to 85 degrees Celsius according to the Fullmark graphics card test.
Your temps are considered very good.

If you need me to be more specific, UNDER LOAD 70ish and below is considered very good, 75ish good, 80ish is ok, 85ish and above for ME is considered high BUT it depends on the cooling solution of the GPU, the airflow of the case and ofcourse if the GPU is power hungry or not.

In the case of 85+ I would certainly go for a better airflow or repasting of the GPU if you know how and you don't care about warranty.

For laptops add 10C for each tier.

Reactions: Bassman999

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Ideal GPU temperatures range from 65 to 85°C under gaming.
Although they are made to run at 105 degrees Celsius still this GPU temp limit must not be attained at any cost. Because it can decrease lifespan very fast.
If you are playing medium resolution games than acceptable average GPU temp should not exceed 60-65C. In the case of High game resolution, it should not exceed 65-70C.

The average GPU temperature for gaming should remain between 65 degrees Celsius to 75 degrees Celsius. As for Nvidia GPU temp, they have an average temperature of around 70 to 85 degrees Celsius according to the Fullmark graphics card test.

Solution

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Depends on the gpu really. How many fans, how big is the heatsink, how much voltage and power the card uses to operate. As a general guideline anything below 75 degrees on the dye on full load is considered normal (i wouldn't say cool, cool to me would be like below 70) and anything above 80 i would start to get squimish about it (even tho you'd be most likely fine, it's something i'd rather not see in my rig). Anything beyond 85 is unacceptable imo and request adressing, either with a deep cleaning or a repaste. No cards nowadays (unless it's a single fan card) should go above 85 degrees on the dye.

Technically anything under 100C is "good" as this is under the limit for GPUs. Most I believe stop boosting once it hits 90C. I like to believe that 80-85C is a nice practical starting point for "good" since most video cards by default start taking more aggressive thermal management measures once this range is hit.

Anything lower is mostly just helping with longevity if it's hitting a voltage or power limit.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Lets also keep in mind that Nvidia 3000 series cards have Mem temps that far exceed the core temps, but aren't shown except in apps like HWINFO.
Im not sure why they arent reported by other apps in the PC, but they are the real temp to worry about IMO.
Gaming my 3080 core temp 55c, and mem junction temp 85c. I replaced thermal pads and repasted the die now core temp5 2c, and mem jct temp 68c while gaming

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Lets also keep in mind that Nvidia 3000 series cards have Mem temps that far exceed the core temps, but aren't shown except in apps like HWINFO.
Im not sure why they arent reported by other apps in the PC, but they are the real temp to worry about IMO.
Gaming my 3080 core temp 55c, and mem junction temp 85c. I replaced thermal pads and repasted the die now core temp5 2c, and mem jct temp 68c while gaming

Because they don't want you to know lol. That's why they're less transparent than amd on that regard, say what you will.

Reactions: Bassman999
Status
Not open for further replies.