Question What is continuing to cause my BSOD issues?

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
minidump link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0uRogIfJbnLvexuN3i3UcctoTDo0YER/view?usp=sharing

System:
Asrock b550 Phantom gaming itx/ax
Ryzen 5 3600
2x8 G Skill Ripjaws V @3600 (running xmp profile, is not listed on MOBO QVL)
sf750 80+ Platinum
MSI Ventus 3x 3070
1tb 970 Samsung NVME m.2
250gb 970 Samsung NVME m.2

The things I carried over from my old build were the: GPU, CPU, RAM & the 250gb nvme. The nvme is not being used during operation - everything lives on my 1tb right now.

RAM tested with zero errors in memtest86 but fails in Karhu running xmp profile for both tests. The early blue screens I am pretty certain were from manually overclocking RAM but the most recent I am unsure because of it testing fine in Memtest86 (despite Karhu being very confident in there is an issue with the overclock if it shows any errors who to trust?)

I have just recently swapped into a new build. In my previous build, I was experiencing loads of blue screens but with the help of this forum I narrowed it down to a network driver. The blue screens were much less frequent after that but still occurring. I was planning this new build and was hoping it would resolve some of my problems because I was swapping motherboards and the drivers would be different/perhaps better maintained. This has not been the case, unfortunately.

Looking for any insight into the cause of the crash. I interpret from the latest dump file that chrome was the application to trigger it, it happened on startup of my system - the chrome application was not running/I had not opened it.

Thanks for your time!

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
I have, and still ran into a blue screen. This is why I’m convinced it’s not ram related on top of the clear memtest86 test and currently running prime95 in blend continuously to see if I get crashes but nothing so far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you sure ram works with motherboard?
Your ram codes are -
F4-3600C16-8GVK

If I look on the G Skill memory finder for your board - link

I can find https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1536113464/F4-3600C16D-16GVK
but no 8gvk

Did you buy a set of 2 sticks or just 2 sticks?
https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram.php?ram=G+Skill+Intl+F4-3600C16-8GVK+8GB&id=8322

the number before G = kit size
V - Ripsaw V
K - Black
So its a 8gb kit of Ripsaw V Black

trying to get 2 sticks to work together in XMP that aren't sold together is not guaranteed. It can happen, you can be lucky. But there is a reason they sell sticks in sets, they been tested to work with each other.

If you want 16gb at 3600, buy a set of ram at that speed. XMP isn't a guarantee anyway, its an overclock.

I remember helping before, I got someone to convert dumps just to see if anything in there. Thats why I replied now.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
Are you sure ram works with motherboard?
Your ram codes are -
F4-3600C16-8GVK

If I look on the G Skill memory finder for your board - link

I can find https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1536113464/F4-3600C16D-16GVK
but no 8gvk

Did you buy a set of 2 sticks or just 2 sticks?
https://www.memorybenchmark.net/ram.php?ram=G+Skill+Intl+F4-3600C16-8GVK+8GB&id=8322

the number before G = kit size
V - Ripsaw V
K - Black
So its a 8gb kit of Ripsaw V Black

trying to get 2 sticks to work together in XMP that aren't sold together is not guaranteed. It can happen, you can be lucky. But there is a reason they sell sticks in sets, they been tested to work with each other.

If you want 16gb at 3600, buy a set of ram at that speed. XMP isn't a guarantee anyway, its an overclock.

I remember helping before, I got someone to convert dumps just to see if anything in there. Thats why I replied now.

Hi @Colif good to hear from you again.
I bought the kit as a pair from new egg, but im realizing in your post is that there is a chance I got two 8gb sticks that were not meant to be sold as a pair.

although this could be true the fact is I was having the issues with a separate pair of ram as well. I experienced a ton more blue screens last night. Chrome and steam were to blame for some - will upload mini dump later. This feels similar to my last builds issue (network driver) but I’ve made sure that’s up to date.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
@Colif after doing some quick googling I’m realizing that Ram can be mislabeled and in my case instead of receiving a pair of Ram I got two individual sticks. The hardware won’t lie when it’s plugged in despite its label saying its 16 hardware interprets it as 8.

but this still raises the question if the sticks aren’t in XMP would this still create issues?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Where is it showing as 16?
F4-3600C16-8GVK
the 16 there is likely its latency, its probably CL16.
DDR4-3600MHz CL16-16-16-36

I think it should work fine out of XMP, if you bought both sticks at the same time in same shop, there is a good chance its as close to identical as 2 non matched sticks can be. But if you keep getting BSOD, a matching set would most likely fix it. Provided it is ram that is the problem.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
Where is it showing as 16?
F4-3600C16-8GVK
the 16 there is likely its latency, its probably CL16.
DDR4-3600MHz CL16-16-16-36

I think it should work fine out of XMP, if you bought both sticks at the same time in same shop, there is a good chance its as close to identical as 2 non matched sticks can be. But if you keep getting BSOD, a matching set would most likely fix it. Provided it is ram that is the problem.
So the sticker on my 3600 kit specifies it is a 16gb kit (16GVK) - The sticks were shipped in the same package, sold as a pair.

If I am booting into safe mode and not having any issues does that rule out ram?

My suspicion right now is how often blue screening is happening on startup. Posting two batches of minidumps here (wasn't sure how many are in each batch):

1-29 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8p2qPNI1pHKTBE4A6O_3iJ6Ru-jlVym/view?usp=sharing

1-30 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GupL0jrq8Vpc8wb9gsek83ZnhI7xke2/view?usp=sharing

There are a couple of processes running on startup like discord & steam (both have been called out in dump files) & then crashes happen as soon as I open chrome & while I'm downloading games. This is why I still have a hunch its network related - even though I am pretty certain I have downloaded the most recent network drivers.

Also what does it mean when booting into safe mode and when I view the device manger list some drivers have exclamation points next to them?

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
After a bit more troubleshooting - When experiencing heavy blue screens on startup I went to safe mode and disabled my LAN driver - was able to boot successfully. Hard to tell if this is the culprit & it would be odd for me to experience this with two different motherboards with the exact same driver.

I am using the wifi driver now. Have still blue screened but double checked& the LAN driver reinstalled itself. Leaving it disabled for now and will keep testing to see if it crashes.

Pretty convinced it's the network drivers as my last bluescreen was pointing at ndis.sys in the error screen I understand that's related to network.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes, its network. I always have to look up NDIS as I forget last part every time
Network Driver Interface Controller.

Interesting that sticks show as 8GVK in BIOS but 16GVK on package... That strikes me as either lazy or just wrong. I can see how it happens but I feel another code would be better.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
I'm confused about how this issue has carried over from my last build. I am taking a guess at this but same exact error codes and same exact scenarios/programs to blame for the crashes. Seems like it's too much of a coincidence.

I'm using a wifi mesh network anyways so my ethernet isn't true hardwire and my wifi speeds are basically the same. So no sweat I guess - just odd the driver is causing the build to freak out about it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes.. that does seem unusual

last time it was realtek, now its intel.
2 different motherboards.

so what is the same between both builds? I guess everything except the mb
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Geforce rtx 3070
EVGA 700 Bronze PSU (I've heard PSU could cause BSOD but I have no way of testing)
16gb G Skill Ripjaws 3200 (running at stock speed NOT XMP) - this has been changed since your post in November, its 3600 now.

So CPU passes Prime
ram passes memtest

I would suggest asking on here, follow the instructions at top of forum, can refer to posts from here. I am not giving up but its always nice to get a 2nd opinion and they might see something I am missing. tell them this is 2nd PC with almost identical errors. - https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

I wonder if its something to do with your network.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
Yes.. that does seem unusual

last time it was realtek, now its intel.
2 different motherboards.

so what is the same between both builds? I guess everything except the mb
Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
Geforce rtx 3070
EVGA 700 Bronze PSU (I've heard PSU could cause BSOD but I have no way of testing)
16gb G Skill Ripjaws 3200 (running at stock speed NOT XMP) - this has been changed since your post in November, its 3600 now.

So CPU passes Prime
ram passes memtest

I would suggest asking on here, follow the instructions at top of forum, can refer to posts from here. I am not giving up but its always nice to get a 2nd opinion and they might see something I am missing. tell them this is 2nd PC with almost identical errors. - https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

I wonder if it's something to do with your network.
Thanks for this reference I will jump over there and mention it.

Wanted to follow up on the RAM mislabelling. I put the 3200 sticks back in to check - had some crashes, took it down to one stick, and double-checked how it reads in the bios. The stick's part numbers are mislabeled just like the 3600 sticks. Have I gotten unlucky with both pairs and ended up with two pairs of ram that didn't necessarily belong together? I have a feeling it was causing some blue screens still because I was crashing on startup every now and then & failing Karhu ram test. Not failing the Karhu test and no crash but have only been running for 10ish minutes. Running on just one 8gb stick now.

As far as the network is an issue I had a similar thought. I am using a mesh network so I'm not plugging into the actual modem, but a node in the mesh network. I have done some light googling but haven't heard much about using ethernet in mesh networks freaking out drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ram - I believe its just how G Skill do it, as the 8gvk is correct in that its a 8gb stick, I feel the labels on the front of ram should not say 16gvk or at least spell out its 2 x 8gvk instead which would have maybe stopped me looking. I will have to remember this going forward as other ram makers don't do it this way.

Networking is an area I avoid so I wouldn't know. It sure feels like a massive coincidence though.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
Although I am curious why Karhu passes when testing a single stick of the 3200 at stock speed and it fails with both in. They are very straightforward with documentation saying if you're not overclocking and it errors there is something wrong with the ram.

mister_flowers

Commendable
Jul 23, 2019
One pair I got from Microcenter, another I got off of newegg.

CPU-Z last I checked interprets them properly as far as their size. I don't want to get stuck on the karhu thing too much because it feels pretty flippant how to test RAM and get solid results - but I have tested two sticks with mem test and prime 95 all passed except in Karhu - the only time I have gotten Karhu to pass is with a single stick.

Still need to do some testing with the single stick to see what kind of results I get. At this point I guess thinking about CPU issues because its the only other thing I can think of. https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-cras...etwork-related-bsod-after-changing-parts.html -from the reply I have gotten so far its a matter of many different crashes and since the network might not be to blame this could be a CPU issue because it's what I have carried over from old system to new & the same blue screens have been occurring. Previous ram was compatible with last MOBO. But a CPU is not that casual to get a hold of and swap out - not exactly a planned expense.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@axe0axe0 is helping you over there, I was actually hoping he would.
He doesn't appear to think its CPU either.

It passes Prime - shame there aren't that many tests for AMD CPU.
Mainly rely on Prime, unlike Intel where I also can suggest their own software.

Before blindly replacing anything, I would be more inclined to take PC to a repair store and get another opinion. THey might have known working parts they can swap in to isolate problem.