Question What is going wrong with my build

Jan 9, 2023
First time builder here, Last night I gutted my Alienware X51 R2 and transferred the internals to a new case along with a new power supply as opposed to the 330w external it had originally, however I’ve ran into a problem and can’t figure out as to why the pc is doing this. With everything connected how it should be the pc turns on and runs and lets me boot into BIOS, but the second I connect my HDD to the psu the computer will turn on for a half second then shut down. Specs for the PC are as follows
MOBO: MS7796
CPU: I7-4790
GPU: Radeon R9 270x
PSU(newest addition):ROG STRIX 650w Gold
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Edit: to clarify I am turning off the PC, then the switch to PSU, then unplugging PSU from the wall prior to attaching the HDD

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023
I suspect you have swapped modular power cables between your old and new PSUs. There is a risk that you have killed your HDD. If so, there is often an easy DIY fix, but I would need to see a photo of the PCB.

The old PSU that was in the X51 was an external, basically used a 330w laptop charger to power the system

Jan 9, 2023
I suspect you have swapped modular power cables between your old and new PSUs. There is a risk that you have killed your HDD. If so, there is often an easy DIY fix, but I would need to see a photo of the PCB.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2702-psa-on-mixing-modular-psu-cables-dont-do-it
You were correct, I found out the hard way after bricking a second hard drive when it did the same thing, so switched to a different peripheral power cord and it now works but I have to return the hard drive
Thank god for in store replacement plan at my local computer store

You were correct, I found out the hard way after bricking a second hard drive when it did the same thing, so switched to a different peripheral power cord and it now works but I have to return the hard drive
Thank god for in store replacement plan at my local computer store

That's why I got out of the computer retailing business. Razor thin margins are too easily eroded by user errors.